College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

Either Nebraska or Wisconsin should switch apparel companies. Nebraska with Nike would differentiate themselves from Wisconsin and adidas. Nike would do a lot better with the pants stripes than adidas does, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Adidas started to get out of college football and didn't offer new contracts after the current contract run out. That's my hope at least.

Judging by their recent design efforts and product offerings it seems like they're not really investing in football at all but given that their big clients are department wide they would likely have to get out of big college sports altogether.

Which isn't happening.

How many top tier schools do they have compared to 5 years ago?

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either Nebraska or Wisconsin should switch apparel companies. Nebraska with Nike would differentiate themselves from Wisconsin and adidas. Nike would do a lot better with the pants stripes than adidas does, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Adidas started to get out of college football and didn't offer new contracts after the current contract run out. That's my hope at least.

Judging by their recent design efforts and product offerings it seems like they're not really investing in football at all but given that their big clients are department wide they would likely have to get out of big college sports altogether.

Which isn't happening.

Still doesn't mean you stop supplying to college sports teams when you are still considered the second best college sports supplier. Sure, they may try and inch themselves out. But do you really think Adidas would leave college sports before Russell?

Which isn't happening.

Still doesn't mean you stop supplying to college sports teams when you are still considered the second best college sports supplier. Sure, they may try and inch themselves out. But do you really think Adidas would leave college sports before Russell?

they have 65+ schools on contract...doubt they will do that, thats dumb, throwing away free publicity in some of the biggest sports in America.

well not technically free since they pay the school but the brand visibility definitely makes up for the cost.

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Which isn't happening.

they have 65+ schools on contract...doubt they will do that, thats dumb, throwing away free publicity in some of the biggest sports in America.

well not technically free since they pay the school but the brand visibility definitely makes up for the cost.

OK to clarify my position, can adidas be a top-tier full service/all sport supplier without investing top tier contracts? It would not surprise me to see that they are losing market share and internally they are running the numbers which are point to the fact that these big time contracts did not in fact pay off. If they opt to not get into bidding wars (and not spend money developing/marketing product) with nike and ua, can they survive in the marketplace as a distant 3rd place supplier?

At this point they have not proven that they can compete effectively with nike in the US over the long term, and having ua throw a ton of cash around a the new kid on the block they may decide to pull out of the big $$$ spend of collegiate sports and league sponsorship to refocus on their more profitable segments like soccer and general fitness.

I wouldn't mind Nebraska switching to Nike, honestly. The design of the uniform isn't radically different than KState, which looks great:

9166083.jpeg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Which isn't happening.

OK to clarify my position, can adidas be a top-tier full service/all sport supplier without investing top tier contracts? It would not surprise me to see that they are losing market share and internally they are running the numbers which are point to the fact that these big time contracts did not in fact pay off. If they opt to not get into bidding wars (and not spend money developing/marketing product) with nike and ua, can they survive in the marketplace as a distant 3rd place supplier?

At this point they have not proven that they can compete effectively with nike in the US over the long term, and having ua throw a ton of cash around a the new kid on the block they may decide to pull out of the big $$$ spend of collegiate sports and league sponsorship to refocus on their more profitable segments like soccer and general fitness.

As long as they have the NBA contract that is pretty irrelevant. They also have RG3 as one of their brand ambassadors . They will be fine

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

I wouldn't mind Nebraska switching to Nike, honestly. The design of the uniform isn't radically different than KState, which looks great:

9166083.jpeg

I think it's the lighting in that picture, but K-State is vastly underrated in college football aesthetics.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Looks like they're going all-white against Oregon?

Kind of funny in a way, because Oregon opened last year at home in all whites against Nicholls State. Locally, a lot of Duck fans get all whipped into a frenzy over their "stormtrooper" look and I see just as many people wearing Duck "away" jerseys as home jerseys. It's a crazy popular look around here and I wonder if MSU is just trying to not be "the team" that Oregon rocks all whites against?

Also, my Duck friends here in Eugene tell me that Oregon was the first team to wear all whites.

Don't tell the Duck fans about Penn State or Texas.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

That MSU pic is a photoshop of Nike PR photos for the 4 teams it created special bowl uniforms for in 2010: TCU, Oregon, Boise and Florida. Check out the cleats and gloves.

Which isn't happening.

As long as they have the NBA contract that is pretty irrelevant. They also have RG3 as one of their brand ambassadors . They will be fine

I'm not saying they won't be fine but have you seen their financials? These deals all require significant financial commitments that have to be recovered and it's very plausible if adidas is not seeing high enough sales due to these efforts they will have overpaid for them and in fact lose money.

Has anyone seen this? I saw this on the Bleacher report and it says it isnt confirmed that Bama will use it but rumors are swerling that Bama will wear this against WVU.

a75dd3a21541bf9dd62131b7a51bab1f_crop_no

Ugliest piece of trash I have ever seen. Hope they don't wear that.

Archived