College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question comes down to this:

Do you believe in conference seniority and perhaps nepotism (advantage Wisconsin), or do you believe in historical prowess and on-field achievement (advantage Nebraska) as the criteria for uniform ownership? Or maybe, you're more level headed and realize that two teams can have a similar look without trying to kill each other.

Obviously I'm biased, but consider that Wisconsin's greatest success as a program came from hiring a former Cornhusker to coach their team and then head up their athletic department. I have nothing but respect for Barry Alvarez and what he was able to accomplish. You can't take that away from him. But just as you can't take away his Rose Bowl victories and long streak of wins at UW, you also can't take away his Husker roots as a player being mentored by legends like Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne. Sorry, Irrational Badgers, Barry's the same guy and you can't get all choosy about which part(s) of him you want to claim.

Some Wisconsin fans (clearly not ALL) want to claim sole ownership of the Red & White. I think most Nebraska fans would be satisfied if those folks realized that the history of Nebraska football helped birth a lot of what goes on in Madison. That's not to claim that the Cheeseheads are carbon copies of the Cornheads - they have their own traditions and pageantry just like any other unique program - but to act like Alvarez didn't grab inspiration from his days in Lincoln is foolhardy.

Again biased - but if you're going to model yourself after a college football program - you can do a lot worse than Nebraska.

I love all of this self aggrandizement. "Well I clearly don't have a problem with Wisconsin and their fans, but it's just all too clear that they are jealous of Nebraska and our color read."

This is all just asinine. Yes, Barry Alvarez went to Nebraska. No, Barry Alvarez did not model Wisconsin's uniforms after Nebraska's. Do you credit Nebraska's uniforms and use of red and white to Hasting College and their uniforms simply because that's Tom Osborne's alma mater? We also hired Barry Alvarez from Notre Dame and Iowa before that. If we're following your logic, shouldn't we have adopted blue, black, and gold?

And if this is true: "Some Wisconsin fans (clearly not ALL) want to claim sole ownership of the Red & White. I think most Nebraska fans would be satisfied if those folks realized that the history of Nebraska football helped birth a lot of what goes on in Madison."

Then how come Nebraska hasn't changed their helmet decal to a syringe yet?

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

As far as Nebraska and Wisconsin, if Wisconsin wears the red helmet and red pants there's enough to tell the two apart. I'm sure that if they went with something like the double W jersey they were smoked in and applied that on the home shirt as well they could own that look. But now, both teams own similar looks and that's just how it is. Making one team change isn't something the league would be interested in doing so I don't see it happening unless one of the coaches make the call. Remember what happened when Callahan changed Nebraska's uniforms? He could have one a national championship in them, it was still supremely unliked. I'm sure if Anderson made massive changes to Wisconsin he'd get a similar reaction. Wisconsin seems intent on adding black to the unis, not just on the helmet. So we may see that happen soon enough. Personally, it's only confusing to me when they play each other. But adidas has been coming up with ways to differentiate the two.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

At least it'll be easier to look at than Eastern Washington. Their field gives me headaches. And the rule was that the jersey couldn't match the field color, which means Michigan State, Oregon and others would never wear their listed home jerseys at all. Boise did have a restriction for Mountain West games but when they backed out of the Big East/AAC they were allowed to wear all blue at home again.

No the rule was that all elements (jersey,pants and helmet) couldn't match the colour if the field. Disallowing Boise from wearing monochrome blue and anyone else mono green

That was a Mountain West rule that applied to Boise only. The NCAA had nothing to do with it.

Michigan State wore all-green this year against Michigan: http://www.msuspartans.com/view.gal?id=149478 and in the Rose Bowl: http://www.msuspartans.com/view.gal?id=152892

Eastern Washington work all-red against Western Oregon: http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/photos/0004/index

Posted by Arkansas State's head coach on Twitter. Jerseys are all the same ones that have been worn the past two seasons. The US flag helmet is new. The white helmet was shown last season (sans stripe) but never worn. Red helmet is new and the wolf head logo helmet is as well.

YTgGheL.jpg

I wish teams would stop with the colored fields and just use the standard green artificial turf.

Oregon's field is its school color, so why care when other teams do it

boise is a special case as the blue uniforms are almost an identical shade as the turf making the viewing experience unwatchable...also it gives them an unfair advantage when other teams attempt to scout them via game film. oregon in all green is nothing like that.

I wish teams would stop with the colored fields and just use the standard green artificial turf.

boise is a special case as the blue uniforms are almost an identical shade as the turf making the viewing experience unwatchable...also it gives them an unfair advantage when other teams attempt to scout them via game film. oregon in all green is nothing like that.
I have watched plenty of Boise home games, and never once had a problem watching them. Their blue is actually pretty different from the field as well.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I have watched plenty of Boise home games, and never once had a problem watching them. Their blue is actually pretty different from the field as well.

I've been to a Boise State home game. Its easy to see the players, even from the nosebleeds.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Posted by Arkansas State's head coach on Twitter. Jerseys are all the same ones that have been worn the past two seasons. The US flag helmet is new. The white helmet was shown last season (sans stripe) but never worn. Red helmet is new and the wolf head logo helmet is as well.

YTgGheL.jpg

The red wolf helmet should be the primary.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Because it often looks terrible when the color isn't green...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Because grass is green not blue or red, or black, or grey, or any other color that a school comes up with.

2014 A&M uniforms are in. No changes other than adding "GIG EM" inside the collar. Same techfit template from last year for Adidas. A&M's current contract from Adidas is supposed to expire in June. Looks like they resigned.

Bq0fk3OCAAEvxP6.jpg

I think Gig'Em was inside the collar last year too.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

2014 A&M uniforms are in. No changes other than adding "GIG EM" inside the collar. Same techfit template from last year for Adidas. A&M's current contract from Adidas is supposed to expire in June. Looks like they resigned.

Bq0fk3OCAAEvxP6.jpg

I think Gig'Em was inside the collar last year too.

I believe so.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived