College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

You don't think manufacturers sign deals with schools based on some sort of return?

I don't think manufacturers sign deals with most schools because they know they will sell a ton of shirts or jerseys. I think it's more about exposure.

Why would they want exposure? So people can buy their stuff?

Trust me...it's all about selling product. It's not about something intangible.

Actually, I think Ben5 might have a point on this one--and my mind immediately goes to Boise State circa 2007-2011. Before they became the media cinderella darling story that wouldn't die, (i'm almost positive) they purchased their stuff through Nike...stock option templates to boot. After that Fiesta Bowl upset over Oklahoma catapulted them into the national spotlight (coupled with Boise's continued success over some of the "big boys"), it went from Boise buying Nike to Nike sponsoring Boise--which I'm willing to bet would've never happened had Boise not become a more visible program due to to their on-field success, which led to more TV time, which led to even more exposure of the Nike swoosh, and, eventually, new Nike-fied uniforms to show off--in essence, more Nike exposure. The same thing kinda happened with Texas Christian's "rise to prominence", as well.

Methinks whatever Boise/TCU product sold as a result of that was more a windfall of the increased exposure rather than the other way around.

I think we all agree about exposure, but really, exposure = $$. They really aren't mutually exclusive. Nike isn't thinking "We want more exposure with Boise, but we don't care if we sell more product or not because of it". In the financial statements, there is no line item for "exposure".

Nike has a new contract with the University of Buffalo, in which Buffalo received roughly $100,000 of free product the last two years. Buffalo barely has a following outside of upstate New York. But I bet you Nike makes an overall profit on its licensed Buffalo Bulls products every year.

D@mn right they do.

The royalty rate which colleges/universities receive licensed products is astonishingly low (between 8-12%) and it is calculated on the wholesale price of the item,

not it's retail price.

A former retailer wrote a detailed blog on licensed sports products and put it all in clear terms.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They look like athletic shorts in the pic-stitch...

Yeah, that's a good call.

I was also thinking they look like sweatpants that teams wear at the airport.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Montana.jpg

Uni combos for Montana this year. Bringing back the black sleeves and more pants. Same helmets

You realize that you linked to a pic from October 2013 and the story from that date? It lists NOTHING regarding the 2014 uniforms or their costs. The report only claims that uniforms are purchased every three seasons.

Plus, it is story from Kristi Dosh who makes Darren Rovell look like Bob Woodward.

She has made a journalistic career by just repeating what a college gives her in a press release or alludes to the information which schools give to the Department of Education for their Equity in Athletics Database? But even after 18 months at ESPN, she was found out for being an aggregate data person who had a bag of nothing but to keep the Sport Management major and Sport Law degrees alive via speaking.

I like the helmet for Ball State. Logo just seems to fit better on a black helmet, but I would've preferred it to not be matte black. Wonder what a red facemask would have done for it too. Don't mind the black jerseys, but the pants stripe is horrid and the "Cardinals" on the side makes it even worse. I hate pants like that.

I like the helmet for Ball State. Logo just seems to fit better on a black helmet, but I would've preferred it to not be matte black. Wonder what a red facemask would have done for it too. Don't mind the black jerseys, but the pants stripe is horrid and the "Cardinals" on the side makes it even worse. I hate pants like that.

It IS matte black.....

Come on, we can't be having glossy black helmets anymore. After all, It's 2014, we can't have nice things anymore.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

The whole MAC is going downhill. Toledo's pink jerseys, EMU's grey field, Miami's uniforms, Akron's uniforms, WMU's boat rowing, and now this Ball State crap.

Someone stop the madness... I beg of you.....

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

The whole MAC is going downhill. Toledo's pink jerseys, EMU's grey field, Miami's uniforms, Akron's uniforms, WMU's boat rowing, and now this Ball State crap.

Someone stop the madness... I beg of you.....

Who would've thought that the 'lamest' school in the MAC would offer the best uniforms in the MAC. Didn't live up to their 'Boring Green' reputation.

Nicholls State, my alma mater, posted the following picture to their Instagram account last week. We've had metallic silver shells for as far back as I can remember despite the school colors being red and gray. After seeing the Washington State rebrand several years back with the gray helmets, I thought we'd look goo in those...but I'm not really a fan of matte gray:

mKA37Lv.png

Here's the most recent look. The gray does match the pants better....I just wish we could get the correct logo on the helmets:

940x.jpg

gYH2mW9.png

Nicholls State, my alma mater, posted the following picture to their Instagram account last week. We've had metallic silver shells for as far back as I can remember despite the school colors being red and gray. After seeing the Washington State rebrand several years back with the gray helmets, I thought we'd look goo in those...but I'm not really a fan of matte gray:

mKA37Lv.png

Here's the most recent look. The gray does match the pants better....I just wish we could get the correct logo on the helmets:

940x.jpg

I thought they revealed that last year? And what is different from the helmet logo and your avatar? Tough to see...

Plus, could they not have moved the adidas logo to the chest? Ugh, damn you adidas...again...

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived