Your favorite uniforms worn by referees, umpires, etc.

msubulldog

In the early 80s when the NFL officials went to one or two letters on the back based on position, along with the rounded numbers instead of the later block numbers. I also miss the white pants they used to wear before going to black pants full-time.

MLB--I liked the red blazers the AL umps wore in the mid-late 70s. Also, in the late 90s when umps transitioned from dress shirts to pullover shirts was a good thing--I still prefer the navy blue and red tops over the black and light blue ones worn today.

I liked this look and actually bought the NL hat:

Veteran-National-League-umpire-Harry-Wen

I also liked how the AL umps had a red alternate during this era, and the NL umps had a light blue alternate.

176253-0-600.jpg

pg2_a_yanks96opener_580.jpg

The top picture is of Harry and Hunter Wendlestedt. In the last picture, that's Derryl Cousins. He and Dale Scott liked to wear red behind the plate in those days. It's also interesting that it's snowing and Cousins is in shirt sleeves instead of wearing a blazer or windbreaker behind the plate.

When baseball umpires wore plain caps, dark blue coats and neckties.

When NHL refs wore v-neck sweaters and neckties.

When football refs wore all white (newsboy caps, dress shirts and knickers) and black bowties.

Old school, baby!

Spengler Cup, baby.

Ref-1-637x415.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

You know the mesh inserts that appeared on hockey refs' jerseys probably a decade back or so?

Picture098.jpg

A few years into refereeing, I picked up a new jersey in that style. It was really, really comfortable.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Back in the 70's when there were seperate NL and AL umpires and the NL umps had the block interlocking NL on the hat, pure class.

Also, not quite related but I loved it back then when the ump behind home plate would hold up that huge matteress like chest protector. Something about it just made the home plate umpire more authoritative.

Let me try and find some pictures...

EDS1350364719AULZWS.jpg

20130220_223406.jpg

Back in the 70's when there were seperate NL and AL umpires and the NL umps had the block interlocking NL on the hat, pure class.

Also, not quite related but I loved it back then when the ump behind home plate would hold up that huge matteress like chest protector. Something about it just made the home plate umpire more authoritative.

Let me try and find some pictures...

EDS1350364719AULZWS.jpg

20130220_223406.jpg

"Just call me AL."

screen-shot-2012-05-30-at-11-39-53-am.pn

Seriously, though, I don't know whether the cap used here was actually a real American League umpires hat.

I had totally forgotten about that grayish beige MLB look. For MLB umps, I like what they wear now. Plain and simple, I've never been a fan of the blazer look.

For NFL refs, I liked the sleek update they made to the shirts ten or so years ago, but I hate the black sweatpants look. I wish they would bring back the classy white pants with the striped socks.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Archived