Things that work in one sport, that wouldn't in another

johnnysama

I'll explain this one. This thread explores things that would work in one sport, but not in another. Here goes.......

-----

Baseball played on an artificial surface not colored green. Imagine, a blue playing field! (This in reference to a couple college football fields being in other colors than green).

Anything more? This is all I can think of right now.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An ice rink in football/soccer. Although that would be hilarious to watch.

There's a game played on ice called bandy, that I believe is similar to soccer.

It's pretty much ice hockey with more players, a soccer pitch sized rink, and a ball. I believe it predates hockey.

But an actual soccer game attempted on ice would be funny to see.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Padding for players (other than catchers) in baseball.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'll explain this one. This thread explores things that would work in one sport, but not in another. Here goes.......

-----

Baseball played on an artificial surface not colored green. Imagine, a blue playing field! (This in reference to a couple college football fields being in other colors than green).

Why it "wouldn't work" I'm not comprehending... it'd look silly and unconventional, but it'd "work" from a logistical perspective.

Now something that wouldn't "work" terribly well: reducing the circumference of a basketball goal to one inch greater than the diameter of the ball. Making baseball bats out of balsa wood. Playing baseball during winter months outdoors.

nav-logo.png

Logos on the front of jerseys. Clearly a hockey only thing. The attempts to duplicate it in basketball and football produced some really horrible results.

The Golden State Warriors and Denver Nuggets say otherwise.

the-golden-state-warriors-shamelessly-ta

uniforms.jpg

My contribution would be stirrups in the NFL. It's a baseball thing.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

-----

Why it "wouldn't work" I'm not comprehending... it'd look silly and unconventional, but it'd "work" from a logistical perspective.

Now something that wouldn't "work" terribly well: reducing the circumference of a basketball goal to one inch greater than the diameter of the ball. Making baseball bats out of balsa wood. Playing baseball during winter months outdoors.

That last one: You haven't heard of the Carribean Winter Leagues, have you? That idea could only apply to colder climates.

UBwef0L.png

Fighting in basketball.

Power plays in... any sport but hockey.

Goalies in basketball.

Coaches coming out of their areas to argue calls for minutes at a time in any sport other than baseball.

A couple of these shouldn't be allowed in any sport, but seem to be accepted for some reason.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Fighting in basketball.

Power plays in... any sport but hockey.

Goalies in basketball.

Coaches coming out of their areas to argue calls for minutes at a time in any sport other than baseball.

A couple of these shouldn't be allowed in any sport, but seem to be accepted for some reason.

Dominicans in anything other than baseball.

Also, midgets work really well in pro wrestling but probably wouldn't be good in the NFL or NHL.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived