Who Are The Trendsetters?

Silent Wind of Doom

Eagles logo, 96-present

960.gif

Some might say the Pats' Flying Elvis could've been the beginning, but the current Eagles logo was the trendsetter. First of all, I wouldn't even begin to try counting how many high schools and colleges' teams either use the eagle head recolored, or adopted a logo very obviously based on it. More to the point, it seemed like there were a lot of head logos that came out in the years afterwards.

jaguars and panthers came out with their logos before the eagles came up with this didn't they? and wasn't really anything revolutionary because rams, vikes, ravens, cards, and pats (as you mentioned) had their head logos long before the eagles did

Yeah the Jags and Panthers had new modern head logos in 1995, before the Eagles set debuted in 1996. The Ravens head logo didn't materialize until 1999 (they had the winged shield until the lawsuit), and that was three years after the Eagles introduced their new logo. The Rams, Cards, and Vikes didn't have a modern head logo, though the Cardinals' old logo was probably the closest to what the Patriots, Eagles, and Broncos tried to copy and/or modernize.

Yeah, it's true the Pats, Jags and Panthers' heads came before it (thus, Flying Elvis has the better claim to being the trendsetter), but the Eagle struck me as the most prominent example, largely due to how many high school and college teams use either a recolored version or something blatantly based on it, especially compared to the other three (I've seen a few tweaked Patriots logos, and IIRC some schools have used the old Jaguar head, but I can't think of anybody prominent who used the old Panthers head besides the Panthers themselves.)

I was thinking this was relatively more recent trends...as far as powder blue in baseball, the Cubs may have been the pioneers of powder blue, but the only other light blue uni that came out in the 40s was the Dodgers' satin blue uniform, though that one is more associated with another short-lived trend of satin specials reserved for night games, which would somehow manage to find new life across the Atlantic when soccer teams first began playing night games (the thinking behind them was the same in both sports, though: it was thought that satin showed up better under the lights). Much like with names on the backs of jerseys, the White Sox have a much better claim of having been the trendsetters as far as powder blue goes, given how many other teams adopted the hue afterwards, and how long the trend lasted.

And while the Broncos proudly own football's single most influential uniform, I raise you football's single most influential helmet...

id say michigans is more influential

Except Michigan stole it from Princeton.

jbd_blog_wingedhelmet_1.jpg

Anubis.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eagles logo, 96-present

960.gif

Some might say the Pats' Flying Elvis could've been the beginning, but the current Eagles logo was the trendsetter. First of all, I wouldn't even begin to try counting how many high schools and colleges' teams either use the eagle head recolored, or adopted a logo very obviously based on it. More to the point, it seemed like there were a lot of head logos that came out in the years afterwards.

jaguars and panthers came out with their logos before the eagles came up with this didn't they? and wasn't really anything revolutionary because rams, vikes, ravens, cards, and pats (as you mentioned) had their head logos long before the eagles did

Yeah the Jags and Panthers had new modern head logos in 1995, before the Eagles set debuted in 1996. The Ravens head logo didn't materialize until 1999 (they had the winged shield until the lawsuit), and that was three years after the Eagles introduced their new logo. The Rams, Cards, and Vikes didn't have a modern head logo, though the Cardinals' old logo was probably the closest to what the Patriots, Eagles, and Broncos tried to copy and/or modernize.

Yeah, it's true the Pats, Jags and Panthers' heads came before it (thus, Flying Elvis has the better claim to being the trendsetter), but the Eagle struck me as the most prominent example, largely due to how many high school and college teams use either a recolored version or something blatantly based on it, especially compared to the other three (I've seen a few tweaked Patriots logos, and IIRC some schools have used the old Jaguar head, but I can't think of anybody prominent who used the old Panthers head besides the Panthers themselves.)

I was thinking this was relatively more recent trends...as far as powder blue in baseball, the Cubs may have been the pioneers of powder blue, but the only other light blue uni that came out in the 40s was the Dodgers' satin blue uniform, though that one is more associated with another short-lived trend of satin specials reserved for night games, which would somehow manage to find new life across the Atlantic when soccer teams first began playing night games (the thinking behind them was the same in both sports, though: it was thought that satin showed up better under the lights). Much like with names on the backs of jerseys, the White Sox have a much better claim of having been the trendsetters as far as powder blue goes, given how many other teams adopted the hue afterwards, and how long the trend lasted.

And while the Broncos proudly own football's single most influential uniform, I raise you football's single most influential helmet...

you mean the coach brought it over from princeton, and michigan made i popular

Eagles logo, 96-present

960.gif

you mean the coach brought it over from princeton, and michigan made i popular

Any way you cut it Princeton had it first.

Again, being first and setting the trend are two different things.

The New York Americans had the first names on the backs of uniforms in hockey, but nobody followed them, so they didn't set the trend.

Think Clint Benedict vs Jacques Plante, first vs trend-setter. Sometimes, there's a huge difference.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

in the sports world it is the uniform manufacturers (Nike and adidas mostly) and the logo creators. again, that is Nike and adidas/Reebok but there are plenty of outside sources too. Bosack, Verlander, Davidson, Rickabaugh, etc. and a few agencies.

but sports is always behind everything else. Nike and adidas isn't creating things like the DADA or Bauhaus movement, they're getting reports and ideas from graphic design trends and very much from fashion trends. if you want to see into the sports world future look to galleries like Dribbble and Behance and pay attention to whats going on in fashion from Paris, Miami, New York, Chicago, LA, etc. it might take 7 years for it to come around, but there's a good chance it will eventually. a lot of the minimalism you see in sports branding in the last 5 years or so was starting to happen about 10 years ago in graphic design when Web 2.0 style was dying.

and as with any trends, one will lead to another. trends and movements are often done as rebellion against the previous one. the bright colors in sports during the 90s were replaced by darker ones partly because it was just different, but also to create a different brand personality. football especially made the adjustment to a more professional and "badass" look. the Buccaneers being the perfect example. the current vintage/retro obsession might be replaced by whatever is happening in web design in a few years. in CFB where we see loads of texture and color options, the next trend wave in response might be a super brand of minimalism.

Excellent answer... thanks for the insight.

It does seem like the elite teams or players in a sport tend to set the tone for what the others do. It's those top flight teams (Yankees, Leafs, historically the Cowboys, Lakers, etc.) that seem to get the most attention from designers at sportswear companies like Nike, Adidas, Reebok, etc. You don't often see teams like the Vikings, Hawks or Blues really setting many league-wide trends in design.

absolutely. that is unfortunately part of the "game" now. if Nike comes out with a new uniform (like they just did) you're going to see it on Oregon or Alabama first. one of their flag ship clients. they would never do that for a rinky-dink football school like Oregon State

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Miami was really the first College in my mind to have a non-traditional look for there Uniforms, anyone else agree?

Guessing you never watched much MEAC conference football?

Not really, I would love to see some examples of Pre-2000 MEAC Football

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

Miami was really the first College in my mind to have a non-traditional look for there Uniforms, anyone else agree?

Iowa (feathers/banana peels) and Minnesota (huge M's on upper chest) had "non-traditional" uniforms in the 90s. Oregon and BYU had the first real Nike-fied unis in 1999, one year prior to the 'Canes change.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Asymmetry in hockey jersey striping - Mighty Ducks of Anaheim 1993? Followed by Calgary, St Louis, Washington, Atlanta, etc along with dozens of minor league identities

I never really thought about it, but I'll buy that.

I'd buy that too.

Along the same lines, I guess Calgary had the first modern number font, and then the Islanders, Avs, and Capitals had the first "custom" number fonts beginning in 1995-96. Could be wrong though...trying to think of other teams that had a real different font before 1995...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived