Not Another MLB Redo

ScoffingYayap

Back with three concepts! Ending the AL Central and starting the West.

First off, the Minnesota Twins! They really need to move on from the home they have. It's been over 25 years with the same home uniforms, and they just don't carry the same as they did when they won the World Series, especially since they look almost exactly the same as the Indians. I put the Twins back in red, and changed the M road hat to match the M in the Minnesota script. Also look for the "Twins" script on the sleeve of the road.

MmVmQHT.jpg

Last for the Central is the Kansas City Royals. While they have a beautiful uniform set, they unfortunately look just like the Dodgers. Not wanting to make them purple, I added gold to their uniform scheme, and also returned their numbers to their old font they used in their glory days. I kept the beautiful royal blue softball top, and added a white-billed hat as an alternate. The best, though, is the return of the power blue road jersey as an alternate.

si6MF8N.jpg

Starting off with the AL West are my Oakland Athletics, 2014 World Champions. Using the current best alternate uniform in baseball as a base, I added piping to most of their uniforms. The home gains some, and the road loses its script's tail. My favorite is the new green home alternate which is based on the gold jersey. One would think the gold wouldn't work well on the road, but after seeing them wear those on the road in person a few years ago, I wish it's something they would continue to do.

FUfNPDZ.jpg

Next up are the Astros with a major overhaul.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I like what you're trying to do with the Twins, I feel that it's a little too much red. The scripts become lost against the piping and the pinstripes. I'd suggest eliminating pinstripes/switching them to navy, and maybe changing the piping color on the road. Other than that, I really like the concept (esp. the red hat and the new "M" hat).

The Royals are really nice, and I especially like the powder blue pants with the alt! While the road jersey could use more gold, it too is really nice! Good job.

The A's are pretty good, but they have a few issues. If you want piping on the home jersey, I'd suggest bringing it to the road jersey and road alt as well. I'd also re-instate the tail on the "Oakland" script logo and maybe switch the color balance on the first green alt to match the second. Despite these issues, I am pleased with the way you handled the near-perfect A's!

Orioles - fantastic.

Blue Jays - fantastic.

Royals - fantastic, except for the white-bill/brimmed hat. It'd look bad in real life.

A's - I was going to say they need numbers on the front, but actually, if you just underline "Oakland" on the road gray, you'd have a perfect set. It's mismatched for no good reason.

Indians - the home and alts have vertically-arched lettering, while you kept the roads radially-arched. Looks really bad and mismatched, again for no good reason. Choose one or the other.

Rays - the home with the tiny "Rays" logo on the left chest looks pretty bad. Looks like a $4 dollar shirt. The 2005 BP-looking sleeves also look bad on the alternates and the road. This is my least favorite set you've done.

White Sox - lose the football socks. Pick a different set of sock stripes. And lose the white-billed hats. They might look good in a concept, but in reality they're terrible.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I've decided to redo a few before moving on to Houston. I took some suggestions for Cleveland, and I think making them a red team works best now.

NVgDbEI.jpg

I'll have the A's and Twins re-redo up soon, maybe a Rays too. The small Rays script wasn't nearly as well accepted as I thought it'd be. After those the Astros will be up.

As for the White Sox, I am going to keep them as is. My biggest pet peeve with them currently is that they, the White Sox, wear black socks. The Yankees wore white-billed hats last year, while it didn't look good on them I think it would look good on other teams, specifically the ChiSox.

Here are the final versions of the A's. No matter the color, the center piping for the green jersey just muddled the jersey, but the sleeves add a nice touch.

obAgg0e.jpgCD1DbVd.jpg

Now the Houston Astros! Their current set is a big let down to me. Yea, they brought back the orange and navy, but it's just so bland. I kept their logo, but added back the shooting star and made their type orange. The orange jersey feature a navy star in the same place as it was during their tequila sunrise years. The navy alternate also features tequila sunrise racing stripes and a plain "H" hat.

WPasefn.jpg

Still in Texas, I bring you the Texas Rangers. I actually had this concept lying around for a long time that retained a lot of the franchise's current elements, but when I started this series I realized how much that didn't work. The Rangers have a lot of problems uni-wise, not the least of which is that they can't decide whether they're a red team or a blue team. I solved that and simply made them red with blue accents. I also changed their wordmarks to different ones from the 80s. Although the "wart" T works well on its own, I think the entire wordmark with warts just looks overdone. I changed the sleeve patch from the state flag to another old logo that include the state of Texas, and then I added a new simple one to the chests of the white and grey jerseys.

JR966Yk.jpg

I like direction you're going with Tampa Bay. I agree that they should return to green, but I think you should make the blue more prominent, giving it more of an 'oceaney' feel.

Beyond Seattle, which doesn't really count in my opinion, there's no blue-green combo in baseball. I think the Rays could capitalize on it and make themselves look great.

Also, the script on the blue TAMPA BAY alternate looks like it's the name of a newspaper. Maybe switch it up or try a cursive script?

sig.png

For the Rangers, how about incorporating front numbers into the state of Texas logo instead of the cap logo being there?

I thought about that too, but the numbers would be so small that they'd serve little purpose. It's better with the cap logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

For the Rangers, how about incorporating front numbers into the state of Texas logo instead of the cap logo being there?

Your concepts are looking great! Good job!

I never even thought of that, I love the idea! I'll whip one up before posting my next team, but they may look either too small or the Texas state may be too large. Thank you!

What is going on with Texas's red socks?

Just a weird Idea I had. I wanted to bring back some of the old bi-colored socks from some of the old pre-40s baseball teams. In hindsight they might be a little out there...

I gave the Texas state numbers a go. Good idea, good look!

zQCQuAB.jpg

Here are the Anaheim Angels. I've never liked any of their uniforms. I think their old ones looked too much like the West Coast Red Sox, and their current ones are too red and they use that big A way too much. I always liked their early 90s set. I went with that look, keeping their current number font but making it skinnier to fit with the rest of the uniform. I think that red and yellow would work best for them.

MiJ2n4C.jpg

Archived