Not Another MLB Redo

ScoffingYayap

Moving onto the two teams in need of the most help in the NL Central!

The Cincinnati Reds are a mess. They're stuck in the BFBS phase, and the weird font they use just doesn't work well on a MLB uniform. I changed the shade of red back to the Big Red Machine glory days, and the standard unis take a lot of elements from those uniforms from 1968-1976. Addition by subtraction. The red jersey uses the Reds script that a LOT of people don't seem to like, but I think it's a nice fresh alternative for use every so often. The vest is a fauxback to the 50s & 60s uniforms.

R2MFngy.jpg

The Milwaukee Brewers are another team in disarray. Their standard home and roads are ok, but they have so many damn alternates their look just gets muddled and boring. I could have taken the easy route and just given them back their blue and yellow duds, but I'm all about moving forward. I used the script they used in the early 90s, a script similar to their old minor league days when they were the farm team for the Boston Braves. The yellow-wordmark'd alternate is a fauxback of sorts inspired by their original road uniforms.

Xj1wSF0.jpg

Please continue to give comments and criticism! Next post I'll have the Cardinals and Cubs and Pirates up!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Reds script never quite worked for me across the chest. Too short - only 4 letters.

Now we come to the rest of the Central. The Chicago Cubs should have classic uniforms, but none of them feel right to me. I changed the logo to the pre-70s look, more thin and refined than the bubbly logo they use now. The Wrigley Field logo is also a sleeve patch because I feel it's too good not to use on a uniform. Also notice that the sleeves have the trim used from the 70s to the early 90s. The alternate blue jersey is based on the 80s road jersey. The road jersey returns to the old fashioned wordmark and more red is used. Also notice that I use the old Cubs logo.

iGuSLTj.jpg

The St. Louis Cardinals have one of the best looks in baseball. I toyed with various ideas of adding piping, sleeve patches, the "St. Louis" wordmark, but I really feel that the way it currently is is the best it is. I just changed the navy hats to have red bills. The alternate is an idea I had for a Cardinals jersey without the birds and the bats, let me know what you think about this one.

De1d6qn.jpg

Now the Pittsburgh Pirates. There are things I like about their current identity, and things I hate. I personally love their black uniforms, and little changes about them. The home jersey returns to a vest, and the road jersey has a bolder gold outline. I got rid of the cartoon-pirate and brought back the old 60s-70s logo (Recolored) as a sleeve patch. The numbers are a different varsity font, because I personally really dislike the stylized numbers.

JhrqFZ7.jpg

Keep the comments coming as always. Next up will be the Mets!

Giants

I love it. You've fixed every perceivable problem with the set, and kept all the things that make it work. Bravo!

Dodgers

Even if I'm not supposed to like the Boys in Blue, I like the simple changes you've made. Nice.

Rockies

As people have said before me, I really don't think the "C" logo, the black belts, and the silver bills work all that well for the set. Other than that, you've done a fantastic job cleaning up the set.

Diamondbacks

Probably my favorite out of all of your concepts. Merging the older script logos with the current color scheme was a wonderful idea, and you pulled it off perfectly. Well done!

Padres

I like the merging of the brown and gold color scheme with the 2004-now logos. The Patriotic alt is now reserved and respectable (and nice enough for the pro-blue Padres fans), and I like how you went crazy on updating the 70's look, especially the gold pants!

Reds

I really like what you've done here. Even though I don't usually find myself liking pinstriped vests, I'm in love with yours! The one suggestion I could make would be to maybe replace the black shoes with red ones, but that's neither here nor there. Nice job!

Brewers

A really nice update of the 1990-1993 look! While I'd prefer the navy blue to be royal, it's still pretty nonetheless. The alts are fantastic, especially the gold one (I'd like it my closet right now!)

Cubs

I'd put the sock stripes on the pinstriped uniform, but other than that you've hit it out of the park with streamlining the Cubs!

Cardinals

Mostly lateral, but that's not a bad thing at all (the Cardinals have my favorite look in the MLB). The alt is kind of a miss, but I like the idea behind it. The navy blue hats with red bills are really nice too.

Pirates

I'm sorry, but I'm just not feeling the vest at home, regular on road look. Either make them all vests or all regular (I'd go for all vests, considering their history). I'd be curious to see what the black alt would look like without the front number or with the front number lowered, like the White Sox. The sock stripes are also nice (I'm a big junkie for those!), and the recolored 60's/70's Pirate is also a treat. Good job, but there could be some little improvements.

Overall, I've really liked what you've done with the NL West and Central. This has seriously one of my favorite MLB threads in the time I've been on CCSLC. I can't wait to see you take on the East!

Reds: Need piping on the home white. The alt jersey with "Reds" as a small chest logo looks bad. It'd look better if you just used the C-Reds logo.

Brewers, Cubs: Very nice.

Pirates: Like SFGiants said, make the home and away vests. But keep your updated 70s Pirate on the sleeves of both, as that looks good.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Reds

I really like what you've done here. Even though I don't usually find myself liking pinstriped vests, I'm in love with yours! The one suggestion I could make would be to maybe replace the black shoes with red ones, but that's neither here nor there. Nice job!

Pirates

I'm sorry, but I'm just not feeling the vest at home, regular on road look. Either make them all vests or all regular (I'd go for all vests, considering their history). I'd be curious to see what the black alt would look like without the front number or with the front number lowered, like the White Sox. The sock stripes are also nice (I'm a big junkie for those!), and the recolored 60's/70's Pirate is also a treat. Good job, but there could be some little improvements.

I find the black shoes for the Reds to be one of those quirky traditional things that just works for them. Just a personal taste.

The Pittsburgh wordmark looks a little large for a vest, but here it is. I could just make it say Pirates on the road, but I have a thing for the Pittsburgh wordmark. The numberless black jersey feels a little empty to me, but here's a look at it!

3mIQB1F.jpg

JIQUhJU.jpg

Thanks for the comments and criticisms guys!

Here we go, beginning the home stretch of the NL East! I present to you the New York Mets! I personally think they have one of the best standard sets in the league, but their alternates kind of ruin it. The home stays the same, and the road just loses the sleeve trim to match the old 1960s set (Which their home uniform is basically a clone of), Mets logo on the sleeves. I nixed the pinstripe-less alternate. The home blue jersey is based on an old alternate with white lettering. The road blue is pretty self explanatory (It's basically the opposite of what they wear now, with orange wordmark at home and grey (Which looks atrocious) on the road) Notice that the home blue uses plain white pants. I use this because having an alternate set of pants as well as jersey really isn't too out there in my eyes.

Bn292Dw.jpg

Bringing on the Atlanta Braves! I like their current set, but I feel their look while in Milwaukee was far superior, so I basically brought back that look with the black and hold tomahawk and slanted scripts. The alternates are self explanatory.

rTnE5en.jpg

Please continue the C&C! I'll have the Miami Marlins up next! I'm hoping they'll be totally not what you're expecting.

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you...the Miami Marlins! This is a total rehaul, but not exactly the typical Marlins redesign (If there is one). I used their current color scheme, except I switched to have "Marlins Blue" the prominent color. Yes, that is the old marlin on the sleeve. C&C!

RRUApEf.jpg

The Senators Expos Nationals up next!

SURPRISE!

Ladies and gentlemen, the 2014 Montreal Expos!

NahsFyS.jpg

Moving on with this project, I present to you the Washington Nationals. Their colors now embrace the red white and blue (I mean, come on, they're from the Capital), and they use the Senators' old colors. The piping on the road hat is inspired by the old Senators hats, and the DC is on the alternate's sleeve as is the Nationals' original logo.

ReClRqj.jpg

Coming up next (And last), the Philadelphia Phillies!

Here it is, the 30th (31st if you count my Expos concept) team! My team, the Philadelphia Phillies! I personally love the Phillies current set, though as the years go on it just feels...aged. The text is a little too bubbly, and the numbers are too cartoony for my taste. But given the number of red teams out there, I decided to put them back in maroon - a color they owned for a good 20 years. I utilized the Liberty Bell more too, something the team desperately needs to do. Some of you may not be the biggest fan of giving the Phils a softball top (I'm not even all that huge on it), but I found this Philadelphia wordmark online and just had to include it somewhere. They also have an alternate throwback to my personal favorite uniform the Philies have ever worn, from 1950-1970. (Also, if you look closely, you'll notice the pinstripes are still red. This is a quirky element of the team's uniforms from the maroon years - they indeed wore red pinstripes. I feel they pop more.)

UKWOHmu.jpg

There it is, the MLB how I view it...sort of. I've enjoyed the hell out of making these, and none of them are really finished. I'll keep them on my computer and probably alter them a number of times, but I really felt like getting them out there for everyone to view. Thanks to everyone who followed this and enjoyed it.

Archived