Gamblers or Oilers

NCCoachArete

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but the when the bull logo was unveiled, it totally fits the name

How does a bull logo fit the name Texans?

Rodeos and raising cattle are big in Texas, so using a bull logo fits. Its no longhorn, such as University of Texas, but stil...

When the Texans name surfaced I thought it was a cheap shot to the Cowboys, because that's what they were called originally,

The original Dallas Texans played one season in the NFL, 1952, then folded. The AFL's Dallas Texans and the NFL's Dallas Cowboys both began play in 1960. The AFL Texans moved to Kansas City in 1963 and became the Chiefs.

Thank you for clarifying that, that's the point I trying to make...

Does it really matter? There are no tigers in the state of Ohio (other than at the zoos) but we got the Bengals. I like the Oilers brand better, but what they have now does represent the name well. I mean the bull has the State of Texas Lone Star right in it. Last time I checked Buffalo Bill wasn't from anywhere near Buffalo, New York or Lions in Michigan.

It's a great logo married to a really stupid name - overcompensating much, City Constantly Overshadowed by Dallas?

But then again, I don't have to put up with any nonsense about the arrogance of New Yorkers so long as that name is around. ;)

Agreed and what's saddest is that Houston went from one of the best and most fitting nicknames in all of sports (Oilers) - and which as a bonus had a great and fitting logo as well - to one of the worst names ever. Texans? Good grief.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

It's a great logo married to a really stupid name - overcompensating much, City Constantly Overshadowed by Dallas?

Good point. Why is Houston always overshadowed by Dallas from a sports standpoint anyway? Given that Houston is historically a larger city that is arguably more significant than Dallas on a variety of other fronts, it is strange that their pro teams are largely afterthoughts and they weren't even deemed a worthy relocation or expansion target by the NHL. And how does Houston - the biggest city in Texas! - not even have a top-end NCAA football program?

Houston punches way below its weight when it comes to sports. I don't get it.

Good point. Why is Houston always overshadowed by Dallas from a sports standpoint anyway? Given that Houston is historically a larger city that is arguably more significant than Dallas on a variety of other fronts, it is strange that their pro teams are largely afterthoughts and they weren't even deemed a worthy relocation or expansion target by the NHL. And how does Houston - the biggest city in Texas! - not even have a top-end NCAA football program?

Houston punches way below its weight when it comes to sports. I don't get it.

The two big time schools are in Austen and College Station. Dallas isn't overshadowing Houston in NCAA.

The '52 Texans have ties to today's Colts, among others. People crackin' on the Gamblers logo having an outline of the state with a star on Houston aren't calling the '60 Texans logo "minor league"....funny....and the Gamblers' name came from what owner Jerry Argovitz was doing: gambling his money on a new team in a new league.

Personally, I like all of the Houston logos mentioned.

People crackin' on the Gamblers logo having an outline of the state with a star on Houston aren't calling the '60 Texans logo "minor league"....funny....

People aren't "crackin'" on the Gamblers' logo because of the inclusion of the state of Texas. It's because the G has been butchered to try and integrate the shape of the state of Texas.

Amazing how many "sports fans" don't know or even bother to learn the history of their favorite sports past a certain point.

oddball? Is that you?

Dallas has 5 Super Bowl titles, 1 AFL championship, 1 NBA championship, and 1 Stanley Cup. Houston has 2 NBA championships, 2 AFL championships, and 2 MLS championships, and 2 WHA championships (and 4 WNBA titles, but the chauvinists will just hammer away at that). Houston fans have had almost as many reasons to celebrate as those in Big D, although several of the teams no longer play there, or play at all.

The two big time schools are in Austen and College Station. Dallas isn't overshadowing Houston in NCAA.

So Houston is overshadowed by Dallas on the pro front, and by Austin and College Station on the college front... not much of an endorsement for Houston, I'd say.

And that list btharner posted is astonishing... only two championships in the "big 4" sports leagues! Houston sports fans are getting screwed. A city that big should be getting at least one championship parade a decade.

Archived