Gamblers or Oilers

NCCoachArete

Rice was a big time program back in the early days of the SWC, along with SMU and the rest. Amazing how many "sports fans" don't know or even bother to learn the history of their favorite sports past a certain point.

Says every Minnesota Golden Gophers football fan...

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not mysogony to point out that no one really cares about WNBA titles. It's also worth noting that the WNBA team that won those titles no longer exists. Which also applies to the WHA Houston Aeros. And the WHA as a whole.

Rice was a big time program back in the early days of the SWC, along with SMU and the rest. Amazing how many "sports fans" don't know or even bother to learn the history of their favorite sports past a certain point.

Says every Minnesota Golden Gophers football fan...

And yet he's right.

LehQRaC.png

That depends on how you view sports in a historical context. I do not dismiss the AAFC, AFL, ABA, and WHA since those leagues eventually had teams merged into the established leagues.

My second team in the NFL is the Arizona Cardinals because I find the history there incredibly interesting.

If you take an all-encompassing view of things then the accomplishments of teams in the AAFC, AFL, ABA, and WHA are worthy of mention alongside those of teams in the major leagues they merged into. If that's the view you want to take cool.

I'm just telling you that the prevailing notion on such matters is that the accomplishments of the AAFC, AFL, ABA, and WHA are seen as lesser then those of the NFL, NBA, and NHL. The AFL's legacy is probably the closest to being on equal terms to that of their rival league, but even then AFL championships aren't viewed as being on the same level as NFL or Super Bowl championships by the mainstream.

That's a hard perspective to argue with too. Why should I count Avco Cup championships as being on the same level as Stanley Cup championships? The WHA was full of financially unstable and constantly relocating teams. Why should winning that league's championship be viewed as being on equal footing as winning the NHL's championship?

It's not mysogony to point out that no one really cares about WNBA titles. It's also worth noting that the WNBA team that won those titles no longer exists. Which also applies to the WHA Houston Aeros. And the WHA as a whole.

I was furious when I found out that the Comets had folded. I mean, this wasn't just any old WNBA franchise, the Comets were THE franchise. The championships, the superstars...they were the Boston Celtics of the WNBA, arguably the most important and influential team in the WNBA's entire history. I still can't believe they just let them disappear. Stupid.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Agreed. I stopped following the WNBA after the novelty wore off (two games), but even I was a bit sad to hear that the Comets had folded.

I've always been a fan for some odd reason (I follow it more than either of my sisters, both of whom played basketball, do), but the league as a whole has fallen off tremendously. It's sad, because the marketing and presentation is the problem, not the actual quality of play, which has increased in my opinion.

That's one league I'd love to get my hands on, they seem to fail at the most basic of marketing strategies. Trying to separate themselves from the NBA was a poorly thought-out move as well.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Agreed. I stopped following the WNBA after the novelty wore off (two games), but even I was a bit sad to hear that the Comets had folded.

I've always been a fan for some odd reason (I follow it more than either of my sisters, both of whom played basketball, do), but the league as a whole has fallen off tremendously. It's sad, because the marketing and presentation is the problem, not the actual quality of play, which has increased in my opinion.

That's one league I'd love to get my hands on, they seem to fail at the most basic of marketing strategies. Trying to separate themselves from the NBA was a poorly thought-out move as well.

well when the best player in your league is actually biologically male it sort of takes away all credibility of your league

well when the best player in your league is actually biologically male it sort of takes away all credibility of your league

"Britney Griner is a dude" is old, lazy material. Think harder.

PvO6ZWJ.png

"Britney Griner is a dude" is old, lazy material. Think harder.
I'm just saying if someone is found out to be male and playing in a female sport, they need to be kicked out if the league and play male ball, otherwise you lose credibility as a real female league

Gamblers - never made much sense for Houston. They arent Vegas or some other city where that makes sense.

Oilers - great name indicative of the region, and a cool color scheme with a simplistic and original logo.

Texans - boring, uncreative name and a boring, uncreative color scheme. Also not sure why the logo, which is decent, is a bull's head as opposed to say a longhorn which is much more "Texan"?

Maybe because the long horn is already taken by Texas

Because they didn't want to alienate the Aggies in the potential fanbase. That is a fact.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The two big time schools are in Austen and College Station. Dallas isn't overshadowing Houston in NCAA.

So Houston is overshadowed by Dallas on the pro front, and by Austin and College Station on the college front... not much of an endorsement for Houston, I'd say.

And that list btharner posted is astonishing... only two championships in the "big 4" sports leagues! Houston sports fans are getting screwed. A city that big should be getting at least one championship parade a decade.

While I agree that Houston should have more titles, the early 90's Oilers and late 90's Astros should have each had a title with the talent on those teams. Houston isn't as big as you think. Houston may be the 4th biggest city in the country population wise, but it is only the 10th largest media market. Dallas often overshadows Houston attention wise mainly because it is just bigger when you factor in Fort Worth and all of its suburbs. Houston and Dallas are both still growing at a very fast rate, but with being a city full of transplants there is a rather large percentage of people here that still root for their or their parents' "home teams." Winning cures that, sadly there hasn't been much wining in houston in the past 12 months.

IMO, Houston Texans > Houston Oilers > Houston Gamblers.

All the USFL first-pass logos were not anywhere near on par with what we are designing now, so the chronologically challenged among us need to understand that and factor that into their thinking. But if I remember correctly, the original thought behind the Texans logo was that it was a style-ized take on the Texas state flag (warped into an animal head, obviously). Sometimes, simplicity is the key to designing a great logo (Seahawks, new Broncos, Chiefs, Cardinals, Patriots come to mind off the top of my head).

Not that it's relevant here, but IMHO, the Tampa Bay Bandits had the best USFL logo of all the original teams.

I've long held the theory that the better a league's logos are designed, the longer it will survive. Case exhibit A - USFL, Case exhibit B - XFL. Case exhibit C - NFL Europe. The one league that defies logic in this respect is the Arena Football League. Some of those original logos were just junk (e.g., Miami Vice)

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Archived