MLB: Project 30 (Complete) - San Francisco Giants update

SFGiants58

Well, I'm back at it again. After my first thread went belly up due to my inactive posting, I overhauled my concepts. I improved the displays and ideas, creating an MLB that mixes tweaks of current sets, modernizations of classic looks, and some completely new designs. With that said, let's get started on the American League.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Baltimore Orioles (this post)

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays (the "Stingrays" original)

Toronto Blue Jays

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

Kansas City Royals

Los Angeles Angels

Oakland Athletics

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Atlanta Braves

Miami Marlins

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Houston Astros (alternates update)

Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis Cardinals

Arizona Diamondbacks (update)

Colorado Rockies (update)

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants (update)

AL East

Baltimore Orioles

I've tried to merge the O's current look with their 1960's look, namely with the dirtier-looking scripts (I like the unpolished look of the old script logos over the current slick-looking scripts) and the return of the 60's striped socks (both in stirrup and solid form). I also restored the old primary logo, replaced the "O's" logo on the cartoon bird with the block "B" logo from the 60's, and made the 1954 bird a tertiary logo. I also removed the Maryland flag patch (I love the look of the Maryland flag, but it doesn't need to be placed in every Maryland-based team's logos). The alternates have also changed, with the orange alt's scripts receiving a color flip and the black alt's scripts getting white outlines.

11329292646_a3f422df40_c.jpg

Home and Road:

11329292896_f98d72c7a5_b.jpg

Alternates:

11329326694_152c070786_b.jpg

Up next, Boston and New York!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using three different birds, eh? Maybe I'm just so used to their current script that the script you used just looks kinda strange to me. However, I do like the white-on-orange jersey!

Can't wait to see what you got!

(By the way, this post made me realize that Orioles caps with the cartoon bird has a hat in a hat...)

I like it...the only thing I'd change is have the swinging bird wearing the B cap in the main logo. Maybe put a B on the hat of the tertiary logo as well. The orange alt with the white script goes nicely with the white-panel hat.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Thanks for the C+C, and here's an update of the Orioles logo sheet:

11607130705_55010d250b_c.jpg

Boston Red Sox

Like with the Orioles, my version of the Red Sox combines both current and classic elements. While it has the current scripts and logos (and red undershirts), it also restores the 1940's-style piping and striped socks (again, in both stirrup and solid form). The road is a recreation of this road jersey (with an NOB), and the alts remain the same (albeit with the 1940's-style piping).

11329225435_61fa657e92_c.jpg

Home and Road

11329379023_c791f88cf7_b.jpg

Alts

11329379163_85afbdc559_b.jpg

New York Yankees

While the Yankees current set is one of my favorites in the MLB, I feel that they looked notably better in the flannel era. So, I've tried to restore a lot of the flannel-era aesthetic. I've replaced the cap logo with the batting helmet logo (as it looks more like the flannel era's hats), replaced the Wilson Varsity font with a block-font (again, from the 50's), and restored the road uniform to its 50's look (no piping or white outlines). I've also removed all of the royal blue from the script logos and primary, as a matter of cleaning up. I've also added two spring training road alts (because the Yankees should never wear alts in the regular season/playoffs), one that is a recreation of the 1912 uniform, and another that imitates the 1920's road jersey.

11329325424_8a481d724d_c.jpg

Home and Road

11329325334_425cbb81eb_b.jpg

Spring Training Road Alts

11329325894_1b9390b14e_b.jpg

The update to the Red Sox primary and the road unis are PERFECT. They should use those right now. I hate the updated circle logo they use now that has "Boston" and "Red Sox" both in red. I hate the lack of red on the new road uniforms they use. Your update addresses two huge pet peeves of mine. Well done.

mainescarf.png

Tampa Bay (Sting)rays

This is one of the few complete overhauls I've done for the series. First of all, I switched the name to "Stingrays" as I felt it was better than the "Ray of light" motif and didn't contain any of the "Devil Ray's" negative history. I also avoided the dark green-light blue color scheme that seems so popular on these boards for a double-green color scheme. I created new script logos (using a modified version of the Judas Priest font) and a new cap logo, and I added front numbers and a new striping pattern to the jerseys (I also kept the striped socks, in both solid and stirrup form). Direct-sewn NOB's take the place of nameplates (as they do throughout my series). The alternates are basically updates of the Rays' current alternates, with the new scripts and color scheme.

11329377783_d657f47ea9_c.jpg

Home and Road

11329224595_ec1754a751_b.jpg

Alternates

11329291056_6e37806a1e_b.jpg

Toronto Blue Jays

Everything is pretty much the same with this Blue Jays design, except for a few things. I removed the navy blue outline on the "Toronto" script logo, switched the colors back to the 1977-1996 royal and turquoise, and added a royal "Toronto" softball top. A powder blue alt and a Canada Day alt (both with white front panel hats) have been added to the set, intended to be worn only on certain occasions. I also added sock stripes to continue the split scheme throughout the set (much like the NFL's Colts used to do).

11329324654_5e6f29e2d6_c.jpg

Home and Road

11329224225_dacbe04d34_b.jpg

Alternates

11329377773_3676c7bf5f_b.jpg

Special Use Alternates

11580552236_64662a6627_b.jpg

Up next, Chicago White Sox!

Great updates on the Blue Jays...we all know they have an incredible look now, but I do think your changes might make it better.

Tampa needs some blue somewhere. Using two shades of green looks really odd for a sea animal, especially for a team in Florida, in a city that is right on the water. The greens are nice, but it needs blue. Plus the wordmark is out of place. It is what it is...you used a font that looks like it came off a record album.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Orioles: The jerseys are fine, but there's no need for 3 birds. I'd rather see the "Cartoon Bird" be the primary, and either the secondary/tertiary be a recolored Maryland state flag in a circle patch kinda like what I found here

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/92014-mlb-uniform-concepts/page-11

Red Sox: Pretty good, nothing I haven't seen before.

Yankees: See Red Sox. Although I like the Red socks (no pun intended). B)

Rays: While I like the Sting Rays rebrand, I'm usually against multiple shades of green being the primary colors, and I'd rather see them just go back to the Devil Rays at this point. At least they have history with that name and the fan base likes it.

Blue Jays: Man, that set is a complete beauty. Nice work here, especially on the red & powder blue alts.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Research man, research. A sting ray and devil ray are two different rays yet you use a picture of one and the name of another. Plus that font is just rough. Doesn't work at all.

And the color change ruins the already near-perfect design of the Blue Jays. Removing the navy outline on the road was the only change needed.

Don't worry, McCall. I did the research to know the difference, and I felt that it was not substantive enough for most people to care (even though a stingray would never assume the position of the Ray in the logo). I was wrong. So, to rectify this problem, I've taken the current script logos and modified them to remove the "Ray of light", added a "TB" insignia on the road jersey, and changed the name back to Rays (because "Manta Rays" sounded a little too camp and "Devil Rays" has roughly a decade of terrible teams behind it).

11701282293_40292dc72a_c.jpg

Home and Road

11701795976_2eb8a55ef8_b.jpg

Alternates

11701414944_53fcb26571_b.jpg

The Red Sox identity is awesome, though I think there's just something "off" with a red outline on the road jersey. Maybe I'm just used to the blue-on-gray though.

Yankees are alright, since it's basically the same as in real life.

I like the "new" Rays one much, much better than the Stingrays. I just didn't like the font you used for the Stingrays. With that aside, light blue/green is quite an awesome color combo!

Blue Jays one is pretty good too, though I'm not the only one who thinks the Jays' current ones are just plain perfect.

Great job! Can't wait to see the other divisions!

AL Central

Chicago White Sox

While the White Sox have a good set now, there's still room for improvement. Namely, I've completed the Go-Go Sox allusion by adding red to the color scheme (replacing silver and, in some cases, white outlines). I replaced the thick piping on the road uniform with smaller piping (much like the Twins' current road uniform) and carried that piping over to the home and road alts. The 1987-90 striped socks return in the new color scheme, but with the condition that they're either stirrups or fake stirrups to maintain the "White Sox" name without actual white socks. I tried putting white socks on the set, but I simply couldn't get them to look good with the set. Also, the patch that was formerly on the road jersey is reinstated on all the uniforms.

11329232455_7cd344cc96_c.jpg

Home and Road

11329333464_d44a1c1a9e_b.jpg

Alternates (update)

11329386163_94a43025b9_b.jpg

Up next, Cleveland and Detroit!

Cleveland Indians

I dislike Chief Wahoo not only because he is a racist caricature, but because he's poorly drawn as well. I'm glad the Indians are phasing him out, but I wish they'd use a logo more creative than the block "C". So for this concept, I modified Fox's Indians logo to fit with the classic color scheme and created a secondary logo with the feather from one of their minor league affiliates (I like how it kind of looks like an "I", fitting in especially well with the identity package. I found an "Indians" script logo to properly match the "Cleveland" script logo as well. On the uniforms, I took the 1995 color balance and applied it to both the home and the road, incorporating the old sock stripes and an updated version of the 1969 vest and cap. I also added a red alternate to complete the set.

11329299116_95e44739f1_c.jpg

Home and Road

11329333014_01514d6224_b.jpg

Alternates (update)

11329385973_d40c66d3d3_b.jpg

Detroit Tigers

The Tigers uniforms are true classics, but I did make some alterations. On the home, I made the buttons even spaced (a small pet peeve of mine on insignia-type jerseys) and on the road, I removed the white outlines and restored the 1970's cap. I also added two rare-use alts (because the Tigers really don't need alts). One is a softball top with the rarely used "Tigers" script logo, and another is a throwback road alt.

11329385463_23de905d45_c.jpg

Home and Road

11329231805_fe9677d2ab_b.jpg

Alternates

11329385693_c25782e33f_b.jpg

Archived