The Ivy League Redesign

mattwillcox

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see the Ivy League getting some love. I think the Ivy League is one of the greatest conference/league/division names of all time. I'm glad to see that someone else is doing concept of the more traditional route.

Any way we can get that Yale font over to Conrad to make some more magic?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I like what I'm seeing. Is there a silver outline around the numbers? If not, I think that could improve the look.

Yup, there's a silver outline. The colour could probably be darkened a bit to be more noticeable though.

Glad to see the Ivy League getting some love. I think the Ivy League is one of the greatest conference/league/division names of all time. I'm glad to see that someone else is doing concept of the more traditional route.

Any way we can get that Yale font over to Conrad to make some more magic?

I'm planning on sharing the vectors for the four number fonts I created for this concept once everything is finished (Penn is getting a custom font as well). I'm not sure if Conrad is interested in created font files for concept fonts, but if you want to pass the vector file along to him that'd be cool.

I'm disappointed that the Yale Bulldog and Princeton Tiger have the same basic shape and expression. They look very good and professional, but I was hoping for something more dynamic from at least one of them.

This was actually something I noticed as well. The Princeton logo was drawn specifically for this concept. Normally if I had drawn the bulldog specifically for the concept as well I would have made sure to have noticeable stylistic differences since there are so few teams. But the Bulldog logo is actually one that had been left unused from previous client work I had done. I really wanted to use/share it in some way and I thought it worked well for Yale.

Strangely enough I think the logo the client chose for that project would have worked pretty well in the context of this concept.

bulldogs_final.png

I'm disappointed that the Yale Bulldog and Princeton Tiger have the same basic shape and expression. They look very good and professional, but I was hoping for something more dynamic from at least one of them.

This was actually something I noticed as well. The Princeton logo was drawn specifically for this concept. Normally if I had drawn the bulldog specifically for the concept as well I would have made sure to have noticeable stylistic differences since there are so few teams. But the Bulldog logo is actually one that had been left unused from previous client work I had done. I really wanted to use/share it in some way and I thought it worked well for Yale.

Strangely enough I think the logo the client chose for that project would have worked pretty well in the context of this concept.

bulldogs_final.png

I completely agree that that bulldog would be great. The first thing I thought was that the ear reminds me a little of an ivy leaf! I don't really imagine the Yale bulldog with a big spiky collar though ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work for all the teams. The presentation and layout is a particular highlight.

I did have a few critiques, but keep in mind these are minor as overall these are one of the best concepts on the forums right now.

- Princeton's third jersey doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from the home and away. You went with a different jersey design, as well as a different helmet, but I wanted the set to stand out more. The home/away helmet is a wonderful design but the alternate doesn't feel like it has the same passion. I would've liked to see a different layout, possibly like what Boise State did with their helmet (though I do understand that this might be a bit too extreme).

- Speaking of Princeton, did you try a jersey design concept for them that used their shirt (the one underneath the home/away jersey) as a design template? I would love to see what those subtle stripes would look like on their orange uniform. That would set the alternate apart from the home/away but still follow the same design philosophy of the uniform set.

- The stripes on Penn's blue (away) pant feels 'off' from white (home) uniform. The blue stripe gets lost within the rest of the blue pant color and changes the feel of the design.

- Not really a critique, but I love the arched 'Cornell' wordmark and would love to see it used more in the uniforms (specifically the helmet).

Again, great work and I can't wait to see Brown and Columbia!

Archived