All Purpose Stadium Thread

kw11333

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1656353_10152207183278812_220646422_n.jp

Veterans Stadium, intermission between a double header (My brother and I had no idea it was one, spent about 7 hours in the stadium).

Note, we are seated at the very top of the stadium in the last row. Nowadays, these areas would be roped off, or tarped off during a game. But General Admission was a free for all.

1656353_10152207183298812_246566192_n.jp

Still remember the many walks up this ramp to games. I'd stop and read the Commemorative Veterans plaque every single time. The plaque now hangs on a Veterans Stadium/ Veterans Memorial on the way to Citizens Bank Park, thankfully, so that tradition still lives on.

1656353_10152207183288812_1732959001_n.j

A view of the future Citizens Bank Park from Veterans Stadium. From this angle, I'd be floating in air, above the parking lot.

not sure if posted but Beverly Hills High's gym hosts basketball and....swimming

beverly_hills_h.s_swim-gym_006.jpg

ebaeb447-6e7f-4e93-9964-752756508667.jpg

When I played high school volleyball Bloomfield High in Bloomfield NJ had their court in a long-since discontinued indoor pool gymnasium. Very tight sidelines and low ceilings but it worked.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but the Canisus's sports complex in Buffalo, NY. As you can see, they have a softball, baseball, soccer, lacrosse AND probably football field all on one turf.

canisius-l.jpg

Good call dude! I attended summer lacrosse camp there years ago (summer of 94/95 methinks) and let me tell you, that stadium sucks! The turf is bald and closer to sandpaper than grass. We had to move these barricades around the perimeter of the baseball field to create a rectangle and well, I mean that's about it I guess.

Also saw Bill Clinton and Al Gore speak at the very same stadium during their 1992 campaign.

MEMORIES!!!

1987 NBA All Star Game in the Kingdome.

blognbaasg1987b.jpg

That is a pretty intricate set of stands to build for a one-off basketball game. Was basketball at the Kingdome common?

The Sonics used it regularly (fulltime?) for 7-8 years in the late '70s/early '80s.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

blognbaasg1987b.jpg

That is a pretty intricate set of stands to build for a one-off basketball game. Was basketball at the Kingdome common?

The Sonics used it regularly (fulltime?) for 7-8 years in the late '70s/early '80s.

And it was also host to a couple Final Fours.

blognbaasg1987b.jpg

Here's a couple more pics of the Kingdome basketball setup.

kingdome.jpg

7544276786_c2044b4c31_o.jpg

blognbaasg1987b.jpg

kingdome.jpg

I think the Tacomadome kept those bleachers when the Sonics moved out. It used to host the NAIA championship for football and still hosts high school football.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

NBA Exhibition Basketball at Indian Wells Tennis Garden in California:

nba-topper.jpg

The New York Liberty played their home games at Radio City Music Hall during the 2004 Republican National Convention at MSG:

wnba-radiocity.jpg

Radio City also hosts boxing:

radiocitymusichall01.jpg

Slightly off topic, but there's another venue in New York city not originally built for sports that has been put into service as a basketball arena. The great Scouting NY blog has a photo essay about the former Paramount Theater, which is now, after a few adjustments, the home of the Long Island University Blackbirds:

10912468945_cdc082b634_o.jpg

blognbaasg1987b.jpg

kingdome.jpg

I think the Tacomadome kept those bleachers when the Sonics moved out. It used to host the NAIA championship for football and still hosts high school football.

The way the bleachers end in the middle bugs me. Such a waste of potential $$$ seats.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

NBA Exhibition Basketball at Indian Wells Tennis Garden in California:

nba-topper.jpg

The New York Liberty played their home games at Radio City Music Hall during the 2004 Republican National Convention at MSG:

wnba-radiocity.jpg

Radio City also hosts boxing:

radiocitymusichall01.jpg

Slightly off topic, but there's another venue in New York city not originally built for sports that has been put into service as a basketball arena. The great Scouting NY blog has a photo essay about the former Paramount Theater, which is now, after a few adjustments, the home of the Long Island University Blackbirds:

That's like Texas Hall, which was the previous home of the UT Arlington basketball team. The court was situated on the theater stage:

TexasHall-last-mens-game.jpg

They've since moved into a proper arena:

dal_court2_576.jpg

Home of the Blackbirds from 1963-2006. They moved into their Wellness Center in 2006. DSC04322.JPG

the former Paramount is used as a recreational space for Long Island University

I'm surprised that Villanova would agree to have a game at PPL park, considering its location and their fan base. They must have gotten a sweet deal.

Also, no love for the multi-purpose Viking Hall / ECW Arena? Friday afternoons = bingo hall for the whole family, Friday nights = hardcore extreme rules barbed-wire death match. Doesn't get much more multi-purpose than that!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived