All Purpose Stadium Thread

kw11333

Municipal_Stadium_Philadelphia.jpg

JFK Stakium in Phila. Home of the USFL Stars, Live Aid, and apparently they played baseball on it too. I only ever saw it set up for football, as it hosted the Army Navy game before it was condemned in early 90s

i don't know how they would have played baseball there, the 2 foul poles would be less than 200 ft from home with a bitch of a center field

Ever hear of the Polo Grounds?

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Municipal_Stadium_Philadelphia.jpg

JFK Stakium in Phila. Home of the USFL Stars, Live Aid, and apparently they played baseball on it too. I only ever saw it set up for football, as it hosted the Army Navy game before it was condemned in early 90s

i don't know how they would have played baseball there, the 2 foul poles would be less than 200 ft from home with a bitch of a center field

Ever hear of the Polo Grounds?

i have but the polo grounds didn't have as bad of a layout as that

grubstreet, in the later Maddens on the PS1 (2002-2005), they had RFK, the Orange Bowl, Tampa Stadium, Mile High, Three Rivers, and maybe the LA Coliseum (might have been Gameday). I also know Madden 07 on the Xbox 360 had Three Rivers and the Polo Grounds available as DLC.

I'vealways wanted EA to put historic stadiums in play for Madden. I cant imagine it would be too hard given some were mapped out and used in their baseball games fairly recently.

Yes, you're right. EA used to do this for the MVP Baseball series (the Astrodome, Shibe Park, Sportsman's Park, Polo Grounds, Veteran's Stadium, Jack Murphy Stadium, Metropolitan Stadium [the last three coming from the 2005 game]). Yet, it all came to an end because MVP would be shutdown due to rapeage from Take-Two and the proliferation of exclusivity contracts unforeseen circumstances.

Candlestick before the 49ers renovations

1b5Candlestick-Farewell-stadium-bw-70p-1

Wow, that was a much better-looking stadium before the football changes were made!

I feel the same about the Oakland Coliseum. Before Mt. Davis was constructed, I thought it was a wonderful ballpark with great views. Since then, the original structure has become rather run down and depressing, and the facility has a terrible aesthetic. Had Mr. Davis' monstrosity not been built, I personally think the Coliseum could have simply underwent a major renovation/sprucing up, and successfully housed the A's for many more years, much like KC's Kauffman Stadium. However, at this point the Coliseum is more or less unsalvageable, and both simply need new buildings. Admittedly, the location is also a major draw back, but maybe a proper and significant investment in the surrounding space could help change that.

grubstreet, in the later Maddens on the PS1 (2002-2005), they had RFK, the Orange Bowl, Tampa Stadium, Mile High, Three Rivers, and maybe the LA Coliseum (might have been Gameday). I also know Madden 07 on the Xbox 360 had Three Rivers and the Polo Grounds available as DLC.

You mean Madden '98? That had Three Rivers, Mile High, Orange Bowl, Oakland Coliseum (Old Setup) and the Astrodome.

bSLCtu2.png

Only one remaining football field with the dirt diamond. I'll miss em

said no one ever

It was awesome when they finally put them in tecmo Super Bowl only during the baseball season just like the real stadium. I would play with those teams just to play on the infield.

Taylor Stadium at Lehigh University was used for baseball and football. I couldn't find a good picture of the baseball layout, but combining these shots gives some idea of just how odd the baseball setup was.

taylorstadium.jpgTaylorStadium.jpg

taylor21tj.jpg

In case it isn't clear, home plate was set up in the bottom left corner on the sketch. That means the large section on the right jutted well into right-center field. The field in the bottom picture would have been left field.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Baltimore Municipal Stadium (a/k/a Babe Ruth Stadium)

1944_display_image.jpg?1338666518Municipal_Stadium_Baltimore4.jpg

As you can see from the larger picture, the stadium was built into large berms.

Memorial Stadium was built on the same site, but with the horseshoe reversed. The Colts played there during the construction.

baltstadium.jpgbaltimore-colts-i_aafc_1947-municipal-st

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Unless my memory is failing me (which is quite possible), we have manage to go 10 pages without mentioning Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Landshark/Sun Life Stadium.

ProPlayerStadium.jpgDolphin_Stadium_baseball_diamond.jpg

Wichita State has the ugliest field in D1 baseball. The dirt turf is dark brown. WTF?wich_st_skybox.JPG

Maybe it's perception, but I always thought of dark brown infields as more common than people think, at least through my viewing experience. The most prevalent case is of how the dirt at Jacobs Field appeared to be "darker" than normal during its early days in the 1990s.cleveland1.jpg

Fenway had a dark infield in the late 90s

1999_asg_448x299.jpg

Unless my memory is failing me (which is quite possible), we have manage to go 10 pages without mentioning Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Landshark/Sun Life Stadium.

uhhhhhhh.....psssssssstttt.....first page

As I said . . . quite possible. I read the first page right after it was posted.

Hasn't been posted yet and was definitely unique. Soon to be abandoned Turner Field back when it was the Olympic Stadium.

stadium.jpg

Metro Atlanta taxpayers must really love subsidizing pro sports with their tax dollars. Both stadia are in more than fine shape. Turner is 17yo and the dome just turned 21. Given the fact that multiple studies have concluded that stadia provide little to no economic benefIT other than subsidizing the teams themselves. Not to mention ATL's reputation for being one of the most fan apathetic towns in the country.

Archived