All Purpose Stadium Thread

kw11333

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monster Jam must not be a Philly thing. Tampa must be a hotbed for trucks, as Ray Jay always has 2 sold out shows every January,

Monster Jam us Feld Entertainment, also owners of the Globetrotters, Ringling Bros. circus and Supercross.

What Tampa still draws for in both the old and current stadium is that equestrian showjumping which used to be sponsored by Michelob (when Tampa had an A-B brewery). They're the only large stadium with an event.

Monster Jam must not be a Philly thing. Tampa must be a hotbed for trucks, as Ray Jay always has 2 sold out shows every January,

I worked at Monstwr Jam at the linc a few times. There's a lot of parents taking their little kids who like big trucks. Most of the adults that go without kids are toothless hillbillies from southern Delaware. What's scary is some of these grown men bring homemade signs to cheer on Gravediggger or whatever the big truck is now. It's definitely not an event that sells big in civilized areas.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Did you really just call Philadelphia a civilized area? :lol::rolleyes:

I actually heard Eagles fans being belligerent to other people for wearing any other team's caps, shirts, etc...AT A MONSTER TRUCK SHOW for kids/families, in June. They're trashy fans year-round.

The stadium filled up. What you're seeing there is when the trucks first came into the stadium for introductions, about half an hour before the action actually started and right as they left the parking lot's "pit party". People were still filing in from the pit party and in line for food at that point. There's a Quad Wars exhibition and other things before the trucks get started. The trucks didn't get going until it was about dark really. They sell out every time they come to Philly, Baltimore, East Rutherford. My son and I try to hit a few shows a year.

If you have kids,there's no better way to spend an afternoon....great family show and the drivers are great with the kids. It's a completely different atmosphere than say, a football game. No beer, no fights (although Eagles fans are still jerks) and you have to cover their ears because the trucks are loud, not so they don't learn some new vocabulary words like at any other sporting event. It's a shame that we can't even take our kids to a ballgame any more.

87Redskins.png

Totally agree - it's great for kids (as long as they have ear plugs.)

I requested to work outside at the gates due to the noise. I got to see the line up of hillbillies who actually tailgated for this thing, and tried to walk in without shirts on and holding signs. As I asked each one to put on their shirts, I always asked "so did you travel far for this"? The response I got in nearly every case was "up from Dover Delaware" (or a city near Dover.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I forgot who asked about field turf surface being cooler using ground up cork pellets instead of black rubber pellets. I know the field turf installed at Byrd Stadium (University of Maryland) is actually supposed to make the temperature 15 degrees cooler on the playing field. Don't know all the specs about their turf off the top of my head, but I do know it uses cork instead of black rubber pellets. Seems like that temperature decreasing feature would suck during those late season games in November.

EDIT: http://www.fieldturf.com/en/coolplay

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Here's the Astrodome set up for the Battle of the Sexes tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs

628x471.jpg

Every time I see a pic from this event I'm floored at the number of people that went to watch an exhibition tennis match.

gYH2mW9.png

Here's the Astrodome set up for the Battle of the Sexes tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs

628x471.jpg

Every time I see a pic from this event I'm floored at the number of people that went to watch an exhibition tennis match.

A faked tennis match at that.

The talk of tennis reminded me of this oddity coming to Petco Park at the end of this month.

petco1.jpg

The Davis Cup is being held at Petco Park and will be utilizing the left field stands and Western Metal Building (along with its suites) and some temp stands around a clay court.

That actually reminds me. During San Diego Comic-Con this past summer Petco Park also hosted one of the stranger uses of a baseball field I can think of. They actually tented and walled off a section of the lower left field grand stand and created an enclosed air conditioned panel room to host 300-400 person panels at Nerd HQ (a smaller sub convention independent of Comic-Con). It was particularly interesting because the panel room, which was built on a platform placed above left field also had bay windows which looked out on to the field. I was actually at this particular panel and watched Cameron Maybin doing rehab work while also watching Joss Whedon.

IMG_2295.JPG

Credit to Teddy for the photo. Nerd HQ also took over the left field/3rd base concourse creating another panel room, merch, and hang out area. They also hosted a movie night on the field one night. And the guys from AMC network took over the entire right field side of the stadium creating their "Walking Dead Experience" where you could be hunted by Zombies.

Petco-Park.jpg

That actually reminds me. During San Diego Comic-Con this past summer Petco Park also hosted one of the stranger uses of a baseball field I can think of. They actually tented and walled off a section of the lower left field grand stand and created an enclosed air conditioned panel room to host 300-400 person panels at Nerd HQ (a smaller sub convention independent of Comic-Con). It was particularly interesting because the panel room, which was built on a platform placed above left field also had bay windows which looked out on to the field. I was actually at this particular panel and watched Cameron Maybin doing rehab work while also watching Joss Whedon.

IMG_2295.JPG

Credit to Teddy for the photo. Nerd HQ also took over the left field/3rd base concourse creating another panel room, merch, and hang out area. They also hosted a movie night on the field one night. And the guys from AMC network took over the entire right field side of the stadium creating their "Walking Dead Experience" where you could be hunted by Zombies.

Petco-Park.jpg

Are there any pictures from TWD Experience? I'd love to see that...Or the video of Joss haha

Anubis.png

Archived