All Purpose Stadium Thread

kw11333

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

atlfultfoot700.jpg

What a great turnout. Look at all those Falcons fans wearing blue, orange and red.

Not totally convinced that's an NFL game

then why would the falcons helmet be at midfield, I'd have to guess it looks like coin toss is happening, so I'd think people are still coming in

They have high school games at Oualcomm and they do not paint anything.

atlfultfoot700.jpg

What a great turnout. Look at all those Falcons fans wearing blue, orange and red.

Not totally convinced that's an NFL game

then why would the falcons helmet be at midfield, I'd have to guess it looks like coin toss is happening, so I'd think people are still coming in

They have high school games at Oualcomm and they do not paint anything.

On closer inspection: the home team is wearing red jerseys(which would match what the Falcons wore in the 70's), and the away team is wearing yellow/gold pants with yellow/gold helmets.

So I looked up all Falcons home games from the 70's that involved the Packers. In 1974, The Falcons finished 3-11, and played their final home game against the Packers to a crowd of just 10,020.

2iurw5v.jpg

Also a close up picture to from that game

1974PACKERS-FalconsGoodman.jpg

So yeah, guess I was wrong, it was an NFL game. A regular season one at that

Being a life-long Falcons fan my first thought was "VS Green Bay, 1988". I looked it up just to be certain and yes, this picture is from November 6th, 1988. The Falcons were 3-7 and just had the #1 overall pick in the draft a few months before, while the Pack were 2-8, which in an apathetic sports town like Atlanta that's not a matchup that's gonna be burning up the turnstiles. The attendance was listed at just over 29k, but that's most likely on tickets sold instead of actual numbers, plus as mentioned earlier this was right at kickoff of a noon game where people could also still be filing into the stadium The other giveaway about the date was the Bud and Minolta ads, which I remember from seeing Braves games on WTBS.

98Falcons.png

Sometimes when you try to do everything, you do nothing well. The movable seating was a good idea but neither field seems to fit well. Then again, the building was round.

Football in the Astrodome.

astrodome-interior-wide-angle.jpg

astrodome.jpg

houston-astrodome-interior.jpg

And baseball.

astrodome-game-92.jpg

87Redskins.png

Shea actually looks pretty good set up for the jets. Astrodome does look pretty mediocre. Two of the absolute worst stadia for both sports had to be the stick and the big A. Absolutely terrible sight lines for both sports. Just massive obling concrete eyesores.

As far as the falcons game goes I'm in agreement with the small crowd but from what I can tell that looks like the kickoff. I suppose that some seats would continue to fill in but then again we're talking about fans in atl which needs no further explanation. Thank goodness they are getting brand spaking new stadia because they are guaranteed to sell out every single game moving forward with these new venues.

Oh my god that turf is like paper. Today's players would kill dudes on that.

There's a football field right next to Logan Airport in Boston that still uses that old turf.

I've officiated a few games there, and it's hard to say what's worse; the overbearing aroma of jet fuel from the nearby hangars, or the ripped up seams and curled carpeting on the field that leave big gaps and exposed concrete.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Wow, I never knew both Marquette and Wisconsin-Milwaukee had football programs at one time. Did they ever play each other? (in what I'd assume would have been a rivalry game)

If there was, it would've been in the early days of each program. Marquette was considered a major program for most of its existence, where Milwaukee State/UWM was in what is now known as the WIAC along with UW-Whitewater, UW-Stevens Point, etc.

You're right, we should probably start a new thread to discuss which cheese is the most popular to rub one out with in each city. I'm betting in St. Louis it's blue.

Any cheese will do in Milwaukee... just as long as it's from Wisconsin and not California. :D

Speaking of Milwaukee, here's a rare glimpse of the college football setup for County Stadium. It was used by both Marquette and UWM's football teams at various points, and the smaller crowds those teams drew allowed them to erect temporary seating in the outfield.

FB_Milwaukee_County_Stadium_nd_1.JPG

If I'm not mistaken the Packers played at county as well...

They did, but this is the rarely-seen college grid. The field markings are different, and the Packers (at least to my knowledge) never added seats in left field.

Looking at the pictures, this had to be taken in the early-to-mid 1950s, just before County Stadium underwent its many expansions. 1976 was the year that the third base side of the stadium was finally completed.

I got the photo from Marquette's website, so that puts it no later than 1960.

I really did like the look of Shea Stadium for some reason.

Speaking of a cookie cutter stadium with an open end, here is the last season or two of Cinergy Field/Riverfront Stadium. They turned it into a legitimate baseball stadium before imploding it

336882341_a8fac124a9_o.jpg

032701cinergy800.jpg

cinerg05.jpg

Also, here's a rare look at the final season of MIlwaukee County Stadium.

5qz0qY5.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

Busch III was like those but the opposite. They left the new stadium unfinished while the final season played out. Then the first season they played in the new digs it wasn't 100% completed until midseason. They also "allowed" people to graffiti the pillars of Busch II the last week of the season or so.

busch10.jpg

busch20.jpg

busch12.jpg

Also since this is a multipurpose stadium thread, a plaque on Busch II that showed the baseball and football configurations:

busch5.jpg

Archived