All Purpose Stadium Thread

kw11333

I still don't understand why both benches have to be on the same sideline at AT&T. It seems like there's plenty of room on the sideline closest to third base for a team area.

I've officiated football at Gill Stadium in Manchester, NH. Originally built strictly for baseball, it was made multipurpose when they added turf within the last 20 years.

Here's a picture of a soccer game, and you can clearly see all the markings for football and baseball...

footballNH.jpg

And here's an overhead shot from behind the outfield walls, where you can really see how far the sidelines are from the grandstand.

80a74b0876de8849df9a247476c0c3942f4bd8c4

Played there this year for football with the state champion CHS Crimson Tide

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few from the Rangers first Stadium Series Game at Yankee Stadium - Rangers vs. Devils:

I wonder how much longer the NHL can keep pulling off this scam on hockey fans... top-shelf prices for lousy views in (LA excepted) unpleasant weather.

I can see why the teams like it... anywhere from 2 to 5 (or more?) times the box office receipts of a regular game in the home venue. But what's in it for the fans?

A few from the Rangers first Stadium Series Game at Yankee Stadium - Rangers vs. Devils:

I wonder how much longer the NHL can keep pulling off this scam on hockey fans... top-shelf prices for lousy views in (LA excepted) unpleasant weather.

I can see why the teams like it... anywhere from 2 to 5 (or more?) times the box office receipts of a regular game in the home venue. But what's in it for the fans?

it USE to be unique, now it's just a bastardization of hockey

Do you understand what this thread is about?

Unfortunatly, every thread seems to degenerate.

"Multi-purpose Stadium" becomes "Here's a picture of an old or obscure stadium."

"Original High School Logos" turns into "This is my high school's logo" (even though it's a Philadelphia Eagles rip off).

"Who are the trendsetters" is littered with design ideas that no other teams copied and were quickly dropped by the original team.

I wish there was some kind of fact-checking agency that could patrol the internet to keep people accurate ond on topic.

Do you understand what this thread is about?

Unfortunatly, every thread seems to degenerate.

"Multi-purpose Stadium" becomes "Here's a picture of an old or obscure stadium."

"Original High School Logos" turns into "This is my high school's logo" (even though it's a Philadelphia Eagles rip off).

"Who are the trendsetters" is littered with design ideas that no other teams copied and were quickly dropped by the original team.

I wish there was some kind of fact-checking agency that could patrol the internet to keep people accurate ond on topic.

This thread has done surprisingly well. 20 pages and still generally on topic.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Here's a smaller example, slated to open this year.

Edelman Financial Field in Ashburn, Virginia. It is currently under construction and will be home to Loudon Hounds baseball and Virginia Cavalry soccer.

Baseball view:

Edelman_Financial_Field_at_One_Loudoun.j

Soccer view:

Edelman_Financial_Field.jpgAP_ourhome2-300x168.jpg

Overlay of the fields:

Edleman%20Field_04.jpg

Despite diamond and square configurations not always working together harmoniously, it looks like a bit of thought has gone into making this stadium a great experience for both soccer and baseball.

Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Stadium with its original Tartan Turf surface.

threerivers951.jpg

That's a really good photo to be as old as it is. I never realized Three Rivers had anything other than the traditional, old school astro turf. All I have ever seen of the stadium in it's early days are the old NFL Films clips of playoff games and even there it looks like the old, bad turf with the basepaths covered.

98Falcons.png

Here's a smaller example, slated to open this year.

Edelman Financial Field in Ashburn, Virginia. It is currently under construction and will be home to Loudon Hounds baseball and Virginia Cavalry soccer.

[Removed for length]

Overlay of the fields:

Edleman%20Field_04.jpg

Despite diamond and square configurations not always working together harmoniously, it looks like a bit of thought has gone into making this stadium a great experience for both soccer and baseball.

Wow, thanks for posting. I moved down here in the summer and remember seeing the signs for all this. Never saw any renderings like those though.

Definitely didn't seem like they were making major progress when I last drove by the site. I might need to check that out again.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Archived