kw11333

All Purpose Stadium Thread

Lets not forget about Jeld-Wen Field in Portland as one of those MLS stadiums hosting college football

60122621.jpg

That's nothing really. For decades it was the home of Portland's local minor league baseball teams.

Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, UK was specifically designed with a removable pitch/field on pallets so that it could be multi-purpose. Sadly this has resulted in a substandard turf for rugby, especially in the autumn when four matches are played on it in one four week period.

Rugby: (you can make out the squares of the individual pallets at the nearside left of the field)

Millenium.jpg

Football/Soccer:

millennium_stadium_470_470x350.jpg

Opposite angle to rugby image - the cut out in the bowl at the far end is where the old National Stadium has had to be left in place due to physically being connected to the adjacent Cardiff Arms Park rugby ground as seen here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Demolition_of_the_old_Arms_Park,_Cardiff.jpg

Rallying Special Stage:

rally098Medium.jpg

Has also hosted speedway, monster trucks, boxing, equestrian eventing, New Years' Eve concerts, a Winter Wonderland and a home & garden expo. And it is the 2nd-largest stadium in the world with a retractable roof. We're quite proud of it in our little country.

Jeld-Wen (formerly PGE Park) used to house the Portland Beavers and was a beautiful ballpark, minus the shocking green artificial turf. It was a nice classic urban stadium for baseball that was really a product of its time (in the best possible way), and I nearly cried the day baseball left. Lots of great memories there and a great place to catch a ballgame.

Stade Pierre Mauroy, home of OSC Lille, was finished in 2012. From StadiumDB:

The ground is very innovative thanks to half-retractable pitch that has not been used in any stadium before. The system provides one part of the field covering the other on massive railings and revealing yet another tier of seating, this time around a smaller field for basketball/volleyball/tennis. Along with curtain dividing the stadium into halves and first French retractable roof it may thus become a indoor arena for concerts and sports events, with the playing field remaining untouched in the ‘closed’ part of the stadium.

th_f6fb6dc66fb9521e91d2a729af9e9d77_1382

th_f6fb6dc66fb9521e91d2a729af9e9d77_1382

Somebody mentioned that the Kingdome's basketball seats were now used at the Tacoma Dome. The last basketball game of any importance the Kingdome hosted was the 1995 NCAA title game. The 1995 Final Four was the first event there since the ceiling was repaired I believe. Even after the Sonics moved back to the Coliseum, they still played a handful of games at the Kingdome. In November of 1992, over 37,000 attended a Bulls/Sonics game and as recently as 1996 or '97, the basketball seats were still stored outdoors.

BhNKQNyIgAADgJO.jpg

Osaka Stadium:

2753629160_2e056538b5_o.jpg

Looks like something from a dystopian novel about nuclear war, overpopulation and civil unrest.

Osaka Stadium:

2753629160_2e056538b5_o.jpg

Looks like something from a dystopian novel about nuclear war, overpopulation and civil unrest.

"Kids, I got tickets to watch the Hunger Games next month at Osaka stadium!"

Citrus Bowl is being rebuilt...the two upper deck structures are being retained for the new stadium.

Citrus Bowl is being rebuilt...the two upper deck structures are being retained for the new stadium.

Does it host any events other than the bowl games? I can't envision a massive rebuild ever paying off to host so few events. Then again fl politicians have never seen a publicly financed stadium deal that they didn't like.

Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, UK was specifically designed with a removable pitch/field on pallets so that it could be multi-purpose. Sadly this has resulted in a substandard turf for rugby, especially in the autumn when four matches are played on it in one four week period.

Rugby: (you can make out the squares of the individual pallets at the nearside left of the field)

Millenium.jpg

Football/Soccer:

millennium_stadium_470_470x350.jpg

Opposite angle to rugby image - the cut out in the bowl at the far end is where the old National Stadium has had to be left in place due to physically being connected to the adjacent Cardiff Arms Park rugby ground as seen here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Demolition_of_the_old_Arms_Park,_Cardiff.jpg

Rallying Special Stage:

rally098Medium.jpg

Has also hosted speedway, monster trucks, boxing, equestrian eventing, New Years' Eve concerts, a Winter Wonderland and a home & garden expo. And it is the 2nd-largest stadium in the world with a retractable roof. We're quite proud of it in our little country.

I have been a huge fan of Millennium Stadium in Cardiff since it was opened. Very nice stadium indeed. But agreed on the rugby pitch, it tears up every match I see being played there during the Autumn test series. You think with the turf technology nowadays (real grass I mean), this would be a problem.

I remember reading an article on that place. One of the most notable things I saw they did in this article was unplug the toilets and move them to other restrooms while converting from baseball to soccer.

Sydney Cricket Ground getting ready for MLB Opening Day:

Bhl2q-3CcAEYnDE.jpg

Here is a new one. The Race of Champions is a tournament type race with drivers from all around the world in even cars competing for their country in an elimination tournament. Anyway, the track they race on is in a stadium.

Bangkok

Race+Of+Champions+stadium+track.jpg

Dusseldorf

00-2011-race-of-champions-opt.jpg

Beijing
Race+of+Champions+2009+NNXTdP3ljX9l.jpg

Wembley

img_1793_large.jpg?maxWidth=800&maxHeigh

Bhl2q-3CcAEYnDE.jpg

If this was a regular MLB venue, it would probably be regarded as the worst in modern history. Way too much fair territory seating miles away and huge amounts of foul territory.

I like having more foul territory. It's one of the cool things about Oakland (or at least was - not sure if that's stil the case).

Bhl2q-3CcAEYnDE.jpg

If this was a regular MLB venue, it would probably be regarded as the worst in modern history. Way too much fair territory seating miles away and huge amounts of foul territory.

Always wondered, but is there a reason why cricket grounds seem to be built with stands placed at random locations? I would think the best ones would be built like the MCG or the Docklands stadium, with stands basically equal height around the pitch.

Also, why is MLB opening at the SCG? Seems like it would make more sense to play at the Sydney Showground given that it was originally built with baseball in mind.

There was/is nothing cool about the Mausoleum. Large foul territory is just one of many drawbacks resulting from the poor design.