kw11333

All Purpose Stadium Thread

It's kinda funny how the Jays have done more to remember the Expos that the Nationals.

It's not funny at all, it's the way things should be. The Nationals don't play in Montreal, they play in Washington. It's not up to Washington to keep alive the legacy of a team from a city that primarily doesn't even speak the same language or have the same culture.

The Expos are basically dormant until Montreal makes the conscious choice to do what it takes to bring them back, which is what Washington eventually did after 34 years of hardheadedness and incompetence. Hopefully Montreal won't take that long to bring Nos Amours home. These exhibition games are certainly a nice first step, and the Montreal Baseball Project is also doing good work in that direction.

Your organization played four times as long in Montréal than they have in DC. The Nationals did not come out of nowhere. Like it or not, it's part of your history.

It's kinda funny how the Jays have done more to remember the Expos that the Nationals.

It's not funny at all, it's the way things should be. The Nationals don't play in Montreal, they play in Washington. It's not up to Washington to keep alive the legacy of a team from a city that primarily doesn't even speak the same language or have the same culture.

The Expos are basically dormant until Montreal makes the conscious choice to do what it takes to bring them back, which is what Washington eventually did after 34 years of hardheadedness and incompetence. Hopefully Montreal won't take that long to bring Nos Amours home. These exhibition games are certainly a nice first step, and the Montreal Baseball Project is also doing good work in that direction.

I think you have it right, the location of our sports teams is so critical to the correct identity. I would bet everything I own more Washington residents have more of a connection(partially passed down from generations), of the two Washington Senator clubs as opposed to the Montreal Expos. If someone did a survey right now in Montreal, interest in the Nationals would be small, reflecting the time away from that city, and the diminished amount of former Expos in MLB.

Ditto with any franchise move, everything changes, even if the new city was lucky enough to inherit a great player.

Your organization played four times as long in Montréal than they have in DC. The Nationals did not come out of nowhere. Like it or not, it's part of your history.

Respect your opinion, but the Washington fans didn't experience that history, and that's where the disconnect comes in. I'm not saying the Nats should ignore Expos history, but that connection is much weaker than a traditional franchise.

I don't see why the Nationals can't honor city history and franchise history. I think that's the best way to do it in baseball, where unlike the fly-by-nights in the other leagues, even teams that ultimately relocated still racked up considerable history. (Except the Pilots.)

The Expos are basically dormant until Montreal makes the conscious choice to do what it takes to bring them back, which is what Washington eventually did after 34 years of hardheadedness and incompetence.

The District of Columbia didn't bring baseball back so much as comply in having it foisted upon them. There was a week or so in December 2004 where they almost blew the whole thing, the city council not being sold on the "three thirds, no thirds" funding plan MLB "suggested." I think the commissioner's office threatened to move the team to Norfolk.

Final Four setup at AT&T Stadium. Move it back to arenas please.

BkRAY7mIgAAGJpl.jpg

That is nuts. Why would you go and watch the game on the jumbotron. I would rather sit at home in my lazyboy.

BkRAY7mIgAAGJpl.jpg

It's been almost thirty years since they last played the Final Four in an arena. The NCAA isn't going to forfeit the expanded ticket revenue. You're not winning this one.

That is nuts. Why would you go and watch the game on the jumbotron. I would rather sit at home in my lazyboy.

Then sit at home on your lazyboy. Nobody's forcing you to go.

Some people decide that it's worth it to sit in the nosebleeds where they can barely see what's happening.

BkRAY7mIgAAGJpl.jpg

It's been almost thirty years since they last played the Final Four in an arena. The NCAA isn't going to forfeit the expanded ticket revenue. You're not winning this one.

Some people decide that it's worth it to sit in the nosebleeds where they can barely see what's happening.

The last Final Four in an arena was the Kentucky-Syracuse final at the Meadowlands in New Jersey in 1996. In the fall of 2012, there was a lot of talk about moving it back to arenas in the future. It's already scheduled through 2016 or 2017, but one of the higher-ups at ESPN pretty-much guaranteed that it would return to an arena in the not-so-distant future. They're wanting to get New York and LA in the mix to host it, since those cities so desperately need a major event to take place in their cities (sarcasm).

I went to the Houston Regional at Reliant Stadium back in 2010 and sat up top. Totally was not worth the money. I watched more of the game on the screens as it was difficult to make out what was happening on the court. But if people are going to keep paying money to sit in those seats, I say why not keep going to stadiums. Supply and demand.

Unpopular, but I love that they play the final four in big domes. Gives the game a bigger feel to me. But the place should be packed then, so Jerry World might be too big.

BkRAY7mIgAAGJpl.jpg

The last Final Four in an arena was the Kentucky-Syracuse final at the Meadowlands in New Jersey in 1996. In the fall of 2012, there was a lot of talk about moving it back to arenas in the future. It's already scheduled through 2016 or 2017, but one of the higher-ups at ESPN pretty-much guaranteed that it would return to an arena in the not-so-distant future. They're wanting to get New York and LA in the mix to host it, since those cities so desperately need a major event to take place in their cities (sarcasm).

Well then I retract my statement.

BkRAY7mIgAAGJpl.jpg

I'd be interesting to get places like LA and NYC involved in the rotation. Maybe a Brooklyn-New York City Final Four? Or Newark, Brooklyn, NYC Final Four with semi-finals in Brooklyn and Newark and then the final at MSG? You could even sell tickets in the other arenas to fans wanting to watch them on the jumbo tron there?

Just a thought ...

BkRAY7mIgAAGJpl.jpg

I'd be interesting to get places like LA and NYC involved in the rotation. Maybe a Brooklyn-New York City Final Four? Or Newark, Brooklyn, NYC Final Four with semi-finals in Brooklyn and Newark and then the final at MSG? You could even sell tickets in the other arenas to fans wanting to watch them on the jumbo tron there?

Just a thought ...

That would be too much New York.

The Cowboys stadium wouldn't be a bad one to watch a Final Four in. That screen is so massive, you'd catch all the action but get the energy of being in the crowd. Shoot even when I watched a football game there, with good seats at midfield, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

And this is why NFL teams are now sending cheerleaders into the stands to, I dunno, give everyone handjobs or something.

And this is why NFL teams are now sending cheerleaders into the stands to, I dunno, give everyone handjobs or something.

If you've been following recent news they are making sub-minimum wage on a per hour basis. So this sounds like a good opportunity for the ladies to earn some supplemental income, with JJ and his ilk getting their cut of the action naturally.

Unpopular, but I love that they play the final four in big domes. Gives the game a bigger feel to me. But the place should be packed then, so Jerry World might be too big.

Here's another unpopular Final Four take. Bring back the consolation game which used to be played back in the day between the losers of the national semifinals. Yes, we all acknowledge said game isn't significant, but I like the idea of a good matchup, plus the opportunity to see great players for one more time. With so many guys leaving early for the pros, having one more game seems reasonable. Many players do play games in pre draft camps, so the potential for injury also exists there.

If you've been following recent news they are making sub-minimum wage on a per hour basis. So this sounds like a good opportunity for the ladies to earn some supplemental income, with JJ and his ilk getting their cut of the action naturally.

Eagles cheerleaders get around $50/game, and don't make a dime from their lingerie calendar sales. Most do it for "exposure" (irony), but a couple told me that it counted for college credits like an internship or something stupid like that.

If the Eagles could sell handjobs as a great way to get "noticed" (albeit by BangBros or something), I'm sure the girls would go for it. If the eagles could turn it in to publicity (for every load out girls swallow, we'll donate 10¢ to Susan Koman) then they'd put those bitches on a sperm-only diet.

In conclusion, football.

Going back to the Final Four stadium debate, last year I decided not to go to the Final Four because, aside from a bunch of other reasons, the student seating sucks at these things. It's basically on a ramp that doesn't really have much of an incline. If you weren't in the first row of the student section they have, you couldn't see a thing. The price was right and I had some friends go down for it, but it wouldn't have been worth all that traveling to see the back of someone's head for four hours, in addition to the fact that you lose out on the once-in-a-lifetime being-a-student-on-campus atmosphere.

That being said, if it were in a relatively decent viewing section, I'd go to a Final Four.

BkRAY7mIgAAGJpl.jpg

Man, I can't even imagine what Wrestlemania would look like in that stadium.