All Purpose Stadium Thread

kw11333

Plus, from the picture of Tropicana Field/Thunderdome, the ice looks offcentred from the middle.

That's typically how it works when basketball or hockey are forced in to huge arenas. They typically use the built-in stands on one side, then set up temp stands on the other side of the rink, with a huge curtain behind so that you don't see the other half of the stadium and the empty seats. That's how it was for the Spurs in the Alamodome.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone mentioned that the 1999 Final Four was played at the Suncoast Dome / Thunderdome / Tropicana Field. Found some pics of the layout:

M1K99CBI.jpg

A previous poster said it was the same layout as the Lightning, meaning this shot is facing the first baseline seats.

1203994851_pic.JPG

A shot of them setting up the court (and temp seating) for basketball.

I know a lot of people will probably disagree, but I believe that PNC Park is bar none the best stadium in baseball. Every seat barring the outfield has a gorgeous view of the Pittsburgh skyline and the field is gorgeous as well.

300px-Pedro_goes_to_Pittsburgh.jpg

I know a lot of people will probably disagree, but I believe that PNC Park is bar none the best stadium in baseball. Every seat barring the outfield has a gorgeous view of the Pittsburgh skyline and the field is gorgeous as well.

This is the all purpose stadium thread. Not the "which stadium has a gorgeous view of the city's skyline and beautiful field thread".

It is a beautiful ball park but that is not the purpose if this thread.

That's NUTZ for a concert of that magnitude here...NRG is here aka reliant or dynamo stadium a couple blocks down from minute maid. Is there any good examples of how to set up a concert in a baseball specific stadium?

That's NUTZ for a concert of that magnitude here...NRG is here aka reliant or dynamo stadium a couple blocks down from minute maid. Is there any good examples of how to set up a concert in a baseball specific stadium?

The circus is at nrg this weekend.

The stage behind 2B would eliminate floor/field seating.

The trend in the MLB since the late 80's has been to build baseball-only facilities. That's great for baseball, giving the parks an old-time feel and a better environment, but it screws whoever paid for it over as it sits empty and practically unusable for half the year (3/4 if you count road games).

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

The hope is that you'll come out ahead by building a park that people will actually want to come to. Besides, even if you had a dual-purpose football/baseball stadium, that's what, another eight to ten events? How many events a year can you reasonably expect to stage at a 40,000-to-70,000-seat venue?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

With the rodeo, monster truck shows and before mentioned circus, I'd say NRG (Reliant) Stadium probably gets used close to 50 days a year. Thats far greater use than what college football stadiums see. At most, Kyle Field at A&M hosts 10 events in a year.

I'm not sure why any artist books Minute Maid Park when they come to Houston unless the football stadium was previously booked or its football season. While the soccer stadium could work, outside in mid July in Houston is miserable all times of day.

But it's jay and b?! They could have come

Any other time or after baseball season to use the I field as floor seating. Either way I wouldn't have gone to either the circus or the concert esp with downtown parking $80 for jay and b?!

Actually they couldn't have come at any ol other time. Tours, especially summer stadium tours, are booked with a specific routing that takes all different factors into consideration including: venue tenants, other tours, other events taking place in same city, etc...

The hope is that you'll come out ahead by building a park that people will actually want to come to. Besides, even if you had a dual-purpose football/baseball stadium, that's what, another eight to ten events? How many events a year can you reasonably expect to stage at a 40,000-to-70,000-seat venue?

I honestly have no idea how baseball teams --even bad ones-- average at least 20,000 people in the stadium when they play most of their games in the middle of the day during the work week, but they do it. A few teams even average over 40,000 per game. Multiply that by 81 games and maybe some playoff games if you're lucky... you're gonna come out far ahead of any other stadium setup in terms of bang for your stadium buck. You're really better off keeping the baseball team happy and forgetting about anyone else.

Archived