Devils Throwback

JSS666

heres my first post.I dont really dig the Red and Green and as we've only been around since the 80's the Devils dont really have an "Old timey" style sweater to wear. At the Prudential center however they do have an old Newark Bulldogs sweater from the American-Canadian hockey league on display and ive always thought it was really cool. ANYWAY using that jersey as an inspiration i threw this guy together, i was going for simple and having the roughness to the art which appeals to me in all the jerseys of the era. Anyway here you go, the Newark Bulldogs jersey is in the bottom right for those who are unfamiliar.

design_1_by_jss13-d6z1hki.jpg

heres my first post.I dont really dig the Red and Green and as we've only been around since the 80's the Devils dont really have an "Old timey" style sweater to wear. At the Prudential center however they do have an old Newark Bulldogs sweater from the American-Canadian hockey league on display and ive always thought it was really cool. ANYWAY using that jersey as an inspiration i threw this guy together, i was going for simple and having the roughness to the art which appeals to me in all the jerseys of the era. Anyway here you go, the Newark Bulldogs jersey is in the bottom right for those who are unfamiliar.

I like where you are going with this. Though it does seem I am looking at a concept through a virtual boy. other than that It does look like old timey jersey they probably would have worn if they existed in the first half of the century.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I like the start of this... Maybe develop a more old-timey crest? Obviously the horns-and-tail are iconic, but it was also designed by the original owner's wife in the early eighties. What kind of older-style logo might still capture NJ/Newark?

I like the start of this... Maybe develop a more old-timey crest? Obviously the horns-and-tail are iconic, but it was also designed by the original owner's wife in the early eighties. What kind of older-style logo might still capture NJ/Newark?

i kind of went at this with the mindset of a third jersey designed to take the place of an old timey sweater which they dont have, which is why i kept the logo. Im actually working on an entirely different crest which is taking alot longer than i planned as i got way more into it the further along i got. Ill post it as soon as its finished.

I like where you are going with this. Though it does seem I am looking at a concept through a virtual boy. other than that It does look like old timey jersey they probably would have worn if they existed in the first half of the century.

i dont think i know what a "virtual boy" is? im afraid im just a hobbyist with this stuff and not too familiar with industry terms and such :/ sorry

I like where this is going, but yes, a redo of the log will really help to sell the idea. Redo the crest in an old-timey font. Drop the italic. Make it kind of blocky. For the tail of the J, the New York Giants logo comes to mind as to where to place it. Put the entire monogram within the circle.

rATMcmK.png

i kind of went at this with the mindset of a third jersey designed to take the place of an old timey sweater which they dont have, which is why i kept the logo. Im actually working on an entirely different crest which is taking alot longer than i planned as i got way more into it the further along i got. Ill post it as soon as its finished.

i dont think i know what a "virtual boy" is? im afraid im just a hobbyist with this stuff and not too familiar with industry terms and such :/ sorry

You just made a lot of people feel very old. Virtual Boy isn't an industry term or anything, it was a video game system by Nintendo, and a huge flop. It was a big virtual reality goggle kind of thing that only displayed in shades of red. Google it. It was on Pawn Stars. Nice footnote in video game history.

As for the jersey, you did a great job of replicating the original. However, that's not always a good thing. Think about Montreal's barber pole throwbacks: nearly perfect, and a laughing stock. However, Ottawa's barber pole is completely redesigned and loved.

I'd try it again with thicker stripes, and a template where the yoke doesn't go past the lace up. Redesign with the present and hdtvs in mind, like Ottawa. And I don't think you need a different logo, I think it just needs to be smaller. The one-color version is nice.

Maybe this is changing the idea too much, but I bet it'd look a whole lot better in black with red stripes.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived