Fauxback evolutuon - Jacksonville Jaguars from 1964 to 1995

oldschoolvikings

I was recently posting a few of my fauxbacks to non-existent 60’s uniforms when a poster suggested I try other eras. Sounded like fun, so here it is. The evolution of the Jacksonville Jaguars uniform from the 1st season in 1964 until they finally arrived at their iconic look in 1995. (From ’95 on, I think we all know where their uniforms go.)

olduni2_zpsc99fbfea.png

In ’64 they debuted in a solid combo in Royal Blue and Old Gold. Nothing too flashy, but attractive. They decided to go with the full body Jaguar logo instead of the “JJ” prototype you still see on-line occasionally.

Six years later, it was decided the color scheme and stripes needed to be punched up a bit. The blue was lightened for the Florida sun, and old gold was traded for a bright Athletic Gold. They got a little heat from fans for copying the Packers, somewhat, but the helmet logo was redesigned to a head shot of the original logo, which proved popular.

olduni21_zps2e16c92a.png

By ’77, it was time for some updating. The jersey and pants remained relatively unchanged, except for some tinkering with the road jersey stripes and the widening of the pants stripes. The big change was to the helmet, where gold was swapped for blue, and the Jags’ first colored facemask was added. Also, big changes came to the logo, as black was added for detail, including for the first time spots! Some fans grumbled about the adding of black, a non-team color, but ownership assured the fans that, like the Chiefs and Niners, black was merely there to accentuate the logo and would never make its way onto the rest of the uniform. (Hmm.)

In 83 another big change came as, in an effort for a bit of uniqueness, the light blue morphed slightly towards the green. At that time you didn’t hear the term “Teal” very often, but it definitely gave the Jags a one of a kind appearance, especially the Blue-Green helmet. In addition at this time, the stripes were simplified through-out.

olduni22_zps7e7ce68f.png

Six years later, the modern Jags look really starts to take shape. Athletic Gold was starting to feel a little passé so the decision was made to bring back the original Old Gold. Also, despite the earlier assurances that it wouldn’t happen, the black appeared on the rest of the uniform as trim, one of the first examples of BFBS. The repetition of the helmet logo on the sleeve was popular at the time, although it feels very 80’s now.

Within a few years, the front office took note that the majority of fan gear sold featured black as a color, so in 1995 they gave in and made black more prominent on the uniform, still proclaiming to be a “Teal First” team. The original full-body helmet logo returned, in updated form, as a sleeve stripe. I think quite a few posters still feel that the ’95 look was their best.

Wow, this looks nice. I really like the first jerseys. I don't think the logo would be as detailed (sharp and clean) like the head of the logo in the 60's but I understand the picture you want. This is really awesome, I'd like to see what you'd do with Houston and Carolina since they're relatively new.

Wow, this looks nice. I really like the first jerseys. I don't think the logo would be as detailed (sharp and clean) like the head of the logo in the 60's but I understand the picture you want. This is really awesome, I'd like to see what you'd do with Houston and Carolina since they're relatively new.

Yeah, I thought that too, at first. But once I tried it, I thought it had a "Arkansas Razorback" feel to it, so I went with it.

These are rather good. I think each of your designs carries of feel of the era that you connected them with. However, I think the shade of teal is a little early to be used in 1983; have you considered creating a "primitive" version of the jaguar logo to appear more 1960s?

Agreed. Its kinda like the facemasks, but I understand that's what came with the template. An example would be the Orlando Panthers logo.....I don't agree about the Teal/Aqua-Green, though....remember, Champagne Silver and Royal Plum would have come out earlier that year with Michigan so its not a stretch.

Good job, but if I had anything to say, it would be "Keep the 1970 logo through at least 83 or 89, but change its color maybe." I think it looks just a tad modern for the late 70s/early-mid 80s.

But that's just my opinion.

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

Updated the 60's template with a new (old) facemask. I think it helps the overall effect.

olduni2_zpsc99fbfea.png

Excellent! IMHO, era specific facemasks on this kind of project really adds to the unis. There are some that never get used in templates that would really make throwbacks better. I know that would be a pain in the ass for the designers here....you already do so much with the concepts and art and such. Thanks!

Having suggested this, I think this looks great! One thing though is the logos. I think some of the 70s-80s ones are a little too detailed.

Everyone who's said this so far is right. The logo should be less detailed for that era.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

I don't have the talent to redo a logo and I can't link up pics on my phone to here but I've got some ideas on the 60's and early 70's logos. Close the mouths on them, turn the head on the full body jag out so as to see both eyes and set it down on its rear haunches. Just ideas....

Archived