Blue Heron Logo **FINAL ON PG 5**

GeauxColonels

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this. However, I think to really get the look of a heron, you need the S-shaped neck. The way the neck currently comes to a point looks slightly awkward and out-of-perspective.

I also don't really like the colors (particularly the green beak).

Keep tweaking it; I think this is almost there.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

I'm just now going through this thread, and it's great to see the amazing feedback and improvement that's been made.

I think you're REALLY close. The head feathers look much better now. They have a nice flow to them. Two suggestions though. One, I think some stroke variance would help a lot. I'm thinking the black corner on the lower right part of the beak could flow into a bigger stroke on the inside of the neck (not sure if that's clear). The variance on the beak is working well, though. Two, I would angle the logo counterclockwise. Right now it seems a little too upright.

I agree with the above on the way the neck is shaped. It just looks awkward. I really like what Patchez did with it.

Not sure what you mean....Patchez just took my original logo and added the embroidered effect.

I'm just now going through this thread, and it's great to see the amazing feedback and improvement that's been made.

I think you're REALLY close. The head feathers look much better now. They have a nice flow to them. Two suggestions though. One, I think some stroke variance would help a lot. I'm thinking the black corner on the lower right part of the beak could flow into a bigger stroke on the inside of the neck (not sure if that's clear). The variance on the beak is working well, though. Two, I would angle the logo counterclockwise. Right now it seems a little too upright.

I will definitely work on stroke variance, I was just taking it a little bit at a time. I will also look to reduce the size of the eye a bit to make it more heron-like.

I think I get what you're saying about the black around the beak going into a bigger stroke down the neck. I'll look into that.

Does anyone feel that I need the white highlights on the beak or top of the head or shading on the neck?

gYH2mW9.png

OK, here's another update. I think the change to the eye is a very positive change. I also thickened the stoke on the backside of the neck and modified the area around the back of the beak a bit as well. I'm also posting a side by side showing the before and after as well as a slightly tilted version.

lj1t.png

eg9o.png

i1r1.png

gYH2mW9.png

Middle left. The white stroke is so fine on the others that they're pixelating like crazy on my monitor.

That's actually a mistake I didn't catch until you mentioned it. It wasn't intended to be different on them. The "middle left" is the old version that was only included to show the differences. The top, middle right, and bottom are all the same logo (with the bottom just being slightly tilted). The main purpose of that post was to show the new eye and slight changes to some of the strokes.

I am considering actually removing the white highlight altogether. Unless you all think that it needs to be there...

gYH2mW9.png

The more I look at it, the more I like the tilted logo as well (thanks to mbannon92 for the suggestion).

I WILL look into trying to some up with an "S" shaped neck to give it more of a heron/crane look. We'll see what comes of that.

As far as shading/highlights, any suggestions from anyone?

gYH2mW9.png

My personal preference is always to have as few highlights as necessary, but I could go either way on this logo.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

My personal preference is always to have as few highlights as necessary, but I could go either way on this logo.

I'm going to try it with and without to see what I like best. I'll keep the highlight on the beak but tweak it a bit and I'm going to put a highlight on top of the head. Any other places there should be highlights?

gYH2mW9.png

So I've been trying to figure out a good way to get the "S" neck for the logo with absolutely no luck at all. After looking through many, MANY images of herons and cranes on Google, I've come to the realization that the only way to get a heron with the "S" neck that doesn't look completely weird would be to do a full body logo - and that's not what I want. But I think I did come up with a change that makes the logo better (at least it does in my totally amateur opinion). I decided to vertically compress the logo a bit so it kind of gives a slight hint at the start of the "S" neck without finishing it (Version H). I really like how it looks compared to the prior logo (Version G). I also added a few highlights and one spot of shading. I've never tried either before so I DEFINITELY need some feedback as to how that comes across.

NEWEST VERSION (H):

el29.png

VERSION G vs H:

gjn7.png

NEWEST VERSION TILTED (H):

5hlw.png

VERSION G vs H TILTED:

9dqh.png

gYH2mW9.png

Well, the idea of the squish was to play more towards the "S" neck. Guess it didn't work. :lol:

So should I leave the highlight on the beak or remove that too? What about the shading on the inner neck?

Just an FYI, the final logo will have the yellow stroke I put on the most recent version.

gYH2mW9.png

Archived