Mascots For MLB Teams Without Them

rebelx

I know that not everyone is of the same opinion, but I personally love costumed mascots. I think they add a lot of color and flavor to the world of sports. I also realize that this is an odd thing for a guy from LA to be saying, considering that among our pro teams in the four major sports, there has only ever been one official costumed mascot (Bailey the Lion, who just debuted a few years ago). There are still a number of major pro teams without costumed mascots, including those other teams in LA. If they were to have mascots, what are your ideas on what they might be? Here are a few suggestions of my own for baseball (I'm going to put the other sports in separate threads, to keep things simpler):

MLB:

Angels: Please, let's get an actual angel character in there; no more of this ridiculous Rally Monkey business. As far as a name for the character, I'm not sure. Naming him Arte the Angel would be an exhibition of extremely poor taste by the ownership, though :suspect:.

Cubs: Just have a cub named Cubbie or something. This shouldn't be too hard. Almost seems like the lack of a mascot on the North Side was just another consequence of the Tribune Company's miserliness.

Dodgers: Admittedly, the boys in blue are hard to come up with a mascot for. The name "Dodgers" doesn't exactly lend itself to mascot-related imagery so readily. I think this may actually be a big reason why the Lakers and Clippers don't have mascots either (although in the Clippers' case, I'm sure it also comes down to Donald Sterling being who he is). I guess you could have Da Bum (as an example of a name), a lovable hobo-type character.

Yankees: Bring back Dandy! I think he was actually a good mascot, and he even had the Thurman Munson 'stache! It seems like it wasn't really so much the fans but rather the team's management that killed him. Would the younger Steinbrenners ever consider reviving him?

Thoughts?

Those are all good. Yes, coming up with a mascot for the Dodgers is a quandary in itself.

What about those NHL teams w/o mascots? The Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers and New York Rangers don't have them. Any ideas there?

UBwef0L.png

Those are all good. Yes, coming up with a mascot for the Dodgers is a quandary in itself.

What about those NHL teams w/o mascots? The Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers and New York Rangers don't have them. Any ideas there?

I'm doing a separate post for the NHL, so as to create less clutter per thread.

For the record, turns out I was wrong about LA not having had a costumed mascot prior to Bailey: there was also Kingston the Snow Leopard, who was apparently only around for a single season in the early '90's. Not sure why the Kings canned him.

Archived