Mascots For NFL Teams Without Them

rebelx

Here are some ideas for mascots for the NFL teams that don't currently have them:

Packers: Acme the Packer. He'd be a plant worker whose name pays tribute to the team's history. I can picture him as being in the same vein as Steely McBeam, who I think was a very good idea for a mascot (although some here may disagree).

Giants: G-Man. Some really big blue dude, kind of a muscular monster type of creature, with a name referencing one of the team's nicknames. (I thought I had heard rumblings that the Giants were actually working on developing a mascot. Is this true?)

Redskins: Pigskin. A pig wearing Redskins gear; nice way to work in references to a football's material and the Hogs legend in one fell swoop.

Jets: Need some kind of pilot character, akin to that weird mascot they had for a time in the '90's (I never even knew that character's name; guess I'll ask about that in another thread). Not sure what his name might be, though.

Raiders: Just have a mascot that looks like the guy in their logo. Again, not sure what his name would be. Nightraider, perhaps (evoking the bad guy from Mad Max)? Or would this be too goofy?

Chargers: Just make Boltman the official mascot, and hire the guy who portrays him. I don't understand why the Spanos family never did this, other than being cheapskates. The fans love him.

There was something that was posted in UniWatch about the mascot in the 1995 pro bowl for a promotion called Team NFL Heroes

Upon seeing these mascots I instantly recognized them as being the same characters featured on some Team NFL branded erasers I have had since the mid 90′s. These characters were officially called Team NFL Heroes and were introduced in 1994 and appeared on various merchandise like school supplies (pencils, markers, rulers, etc.). Stuffed animals were also made of them. (You can actually very clearly see a patch on the sleeve of the Falcons character in the very first photo of the article that says “Team NFL Heroes”.) It is very possible that they were created as a mascot overhaul of the entire league because they certainly DO look like mascots; however K.C. Wolf is among them and has been the Chiefs’ official mascot since 1989. But like it says in the article the Cowboys character DID become the team’s official mascot in 1996. So who knows what the real deal is with these characters.

There a rendering of a Packers,Raiders and Jets "mascot" in the photo

11376305794_b62a1ab281_b.jpg

"Bayer." Yeah, we get it, a polar bear for a Packer mascot...but c'mon, man. It's a BEAR. A BEAR cannot be a mascot for the PACKERS.

Thank God this hot mess never caught on. I'd rather they have brought back Packy Packer from the ill-fated NFL Huddles program.

Packy-Pack-Packer.jpg

(OK, maybe not. The Packers need no lame mascot.)

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

Giants: Big Blue, a blue skinned giant.

Jets: Does the old Fireman have any legal recourse in terms of his identity? I think an FDNY firefighter would be a great fit, the old white fireman's helmet with the green stripe has become rather iconic. If he hadn't quit last year I would have thought that he was enough. Officer Joe or Broadway Joe would be good names.

Raiders: A pirate either the Captain Hook kind or a copy of the helmet. It its a copy of the helmet then he should wear the uniform but with the Hawk and Animal giant black spiky shoulderpads.

Packers: A muscular sheep in a Packers uniform. Lambardi or Lambeau would be good names. I'll think of this more later but that was my first thought.

Chargers: Boltman ISN'T official?! I didn't know that. He should totally be.

Redskins: Pigskin sounds perfect.

I might draw some sketches.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This. But if the Packers absolutely HAD to choose a mascot... someone mentioned a mouse because of the cheese connection. Make it a rat and call him Pack Rat.

Otherwise, I could see the Packers using a North American Timberwolf. It runs in packs, and ties into the Northern Wisconsin timber industry (the Packers even used to have a team band called the Lumberjacks). It also doesn't hurt that the GM credited with bringing the Packers back to glory was actually named Wolf.

This. But if the Packers absolutely HAD to choose a mascot... someone mentioned a mouse because of the cheese connection. Make it a rat and call him Pack Rat.

Otherwise, I could see the Packers using a North American Timberwolf. It runs in packs, and ties into the Northern Wisconsin timber industry (the Packers even used to have a team band called the Lumberjacks). It also doesn't hurt that the GM credited with bringing the Packers back to glory was actually named Wolf.

As the resident mascot, I approve.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Jets: Need some kind of pilot character, akin to that weird mascot they had for a time in the '90's (I never even knew that character's name; guess I'll ask about that in another thread). Not sure what his name might be, though.

In the late 90s / early 2000s, the Jets had a scoreboard only mascot named "Gameface", basically a talking football.

Looked like this logo:

jets-01.gif

He would bounce onto the screen and yell things like FIRST DOWN!, or LETS GO JETS!. Kinda got annoying fast.

There was something that was posted in UniWatch about the mascot in the 1995 pro bowl for a promotion called Team NFL Heroes

Upon seeing these mascots I instantly recognized them as being the same characters featured on some Team NFL branded erasers I have had since the mid 90′s. These characters were officially called Team NFL Heroes and were introduced in 1994 and appeared on various merchandise like school supplies (pencils, markers, rulers, etc.). Stuffed animals were also made of them. (You can actually very clearly see a patch on the sleeve of the Falcons character in the very first photo of the article that says “Team NFL Heroes”.) It is very possible that they were created as a mascot overhaul of the entire league because they certainly DO look like mascots; however K.C. Wolf is among them and has been the Chiefs’ official mascot since 1989. But like it says in the article the Cowboys character DID become the team’s official mascot in 1996. So who knows what the real deal is with these characters.

There a rendering of a Packers,Raiders and Jets "mascot" in the photo

11376305794_b62a1ab281_b.jpg

Good Lord, those are TERRIBLE

"Bayer." Yeah, we get it, a polar bear for a Packer mascot...but c'mon, man. It's a BEAR. A BEAR cannot be a mascot for the PACKERS.

I think they were going more for Green Bay> Green Bay-er> Bayer> make it look like a bear> make it a polar bear for the "Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field"

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Archived