North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

Champions League Quarter Finals 2nd legs start today.

Can LA and KC hold on to slim 1-0 leads?

Can San Jose score at least twice at Toluca?

Who will the non-North American team in the Semis? Alajuelense or Arabe Unido?

I see KC holding onto their slim lead to progress. But it's the Tijuana-LA tie I see getting flipped on it's head. That tie could end with either team progressing. I can see SJ in tough against Toluca. And as the Alajuelense v Arabe Unido tie, I see Alajuelense progressing.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of halftime, the Galaxy are getting torched in Tijuana to the tune of 3-0.

Quick edit: Right after posting that, LA scores to make it 3-1; the aggregate is 3-2, with LA holding the only away goal.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I can't access the tweet through my computer, can someone post the tweet. Cheers

Here is what the tweet said.

Toluca coach Jose Cardozo critical of San Jose: "They say here that football in the US has grown a lot. I honestly don't know in what way."

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Also, San Jose is what, probably the 11th or 12th best team in the MLS at this point? That's part of the issue with the setup that the CCL follows is that the Quakes are now two seasons removed from the team that qualified for the tournament in the first place.

6fQjS3M.png

The only thing that might finally propel MLS into being able to legitimately compete with Liga MX teams is if MLS raises the cap and increases the number of DPs when NYCFC comes in so they can try to establish a better foothold in NY.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Is CONCACAF and MLS going to be looking at improved qualification berths and status' so that this unbalance in clubs qualifying are the same clubs that play in the CCL? Just one year on.

Without changing calendars, no; and that'd be stupid. Clubs actually start the CCL less than a year away from when they qualified:

- October-December 2012: US teams determined via MLS standings, MLS playoffs, and US Open Cup

- August 2013: CCL group stage begins

- March 2014: CCL knockout stage begins

It would be pretty dumb for them to change the teams appearing in the 2013-14 CCL in the middle of the competition based on the 2013 MLS results.

MOD EDIT - Please limit discussions of personal behavior to private-messaging with the CCSLC member in question, or by contacting a moderator. Thank you.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

MOD EDIT - Please limit discussions of personal behavior to private-messaging with the CCSLC member in question, or by contacting a moderator. Thank you.

Yes I know how the qualifications for MLS clubs occur for CCL. Yes I know it's based on supporters shield winner, US Open cup winner and MLS Cup winner. I have been watching MLS since the first few years of existence. I was just commenting on how there is an unbalance between MLS and LigaMX clubs when it comes to CCL. It was just an opinion and an observation I've been seeing over the last three CCL knockout stages. Except for RSL, MLS has not have a legamite contender for the CCL title.

The only thing that might finally propel MLS into being able to legitimately compete with Liga MX teams is if MLS raises the cap and increases the number of DPs when NYCFC comes in so they can try to establish a better foothold in NY.

Part of the reason MLS has been so stable is because they have managed their financial situation very well. Well, that and the very weird way that all the players are technically paid by the league and then "assigned" to teams...not the point though.

To have a huge increase in the cap will mess up the financial structure and while that may not be a big deal for NYCFC, Red Bull, Galaxy or, TFC it will hurt clubs like Columbus, FC Dallas or, Sporting KC. Sporting being the best example of late as a team that has thrived under the current structure and should they be put in a position that they have to spend significantly more they might not be able to afford putting such a good team on the field. That in turn probably will hurt attendance, ect.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Something's gotta give during the next round of CBA negotiations though, I think. I just don't see the players being content with the $3 million non-DP cap we have now.

Plus, the MLS has to do something if they're going to be considered a top league in the world. I'd rather watch high-quality play dominated by a few teams than mediocre play with too much parity.

6fQjS3M.png

I don't disagree Crash, my point was that it has to be a gradual thing. They can't jump from a $3M salary cap to no cap...or like a $30M cap. (I'm just pulling a number out of nowhere there).

Sorry if I wasn't being clear, my bad.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived