North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

So, NYCFC is supposed to play at Yankee Stadium, correct? The MLS season and the MLB season overlap, so how is that going to work? Are they going to play with a dirt infield?

And from what I understand there are still no concrete stadium plans for them, it sounds like a disaster in the making imo.

niagaraq.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BlwGf1DIMAAf9LC.jpg

Soccer setup at Yankee Stadium

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Yankee Stadium NYCFC Soccer Config:

As for the soccer config, I have to say, I'm not cool with this.

It looks like someone getting hurt because of the impact to the field. This is going to SUCK.

"The Yankees will employ a system that allows for the pitcher's mound to be removed and replaced in a day's time."

Yeah, that's a good idea. Pay Tanaka all that money just so he can get hurt using a sub-par mound cause it has to be rebuilt every week for a damn soccer game. This is insane. Don't even get me started on all the bad hops this is going to cause.....

Anubis.png

As I said in the multi purpose stadium thread

It's no different than what they do at the Oakland colosseum or other football/baseball stadiums and you dont see them having problems. They arent going to rebuild it every time, they are going to lift it out of the ground and replace it with flat sod, and then remove the sod and put the mound back. It's not that big of a deal and no injuries should happen because of the playing surface that weren't already present.

As I said in the multi purpose stadium thread

It's no different than what they do at the Oakland colosseum or other football/baseball stadiums and you dont see them having problems. They arent going to rebuild it every time, they are going to lift it out of the ground and replace it with flat sod, and then remove the sod and put the mound back. It's not that big of a deal and no injuries should happen because of the playing surface that weren't already present.

Oakland doesn't turf the infield, and at worst football is only played once a week. It's a completely different scenario. And for what it's worth, they don't want to be sharing a venue either.

I'm not even excited about having to see soccer lines on the field during baseball games. This is a beautiful BASEBALL stadium. No reason to muck it up.

Anubis.png

I can understand the aesthetic part about not liking it but I'm just talking about injury and soccer is played once a week unless they are playing for multiple championships, and in America the only ones they have to worry about the malls cup and American cup.

Looks like a lot of really bad seats, far from the field or at a bad angle. I hope NYCFC gets stadium approval sooner rather than later.

Honestly, I think the football field at Columbia would be a much better fit. I believe it seats about 19,000, which is great for soccer, it is in Manhattan, so easy access from subway lines, and soccer v. football seasons don't clash as much as soccer and baseball. I am sure there is a reason they won't go there (Yankees ownership, lack of beer sales on a college campus) but as pure quality of stadium experience, I would think Columbia would be a much better venue.

Here we go again. How stupid is this venture? Very. I am hoping saner heads prevail and at least think about delaying the start of the franchise.

Playing in Yankee Stadium is a terrible idea. No, not terrible, horrible. Shows the lack of thinking in the rush to put this mutt on the field. Where should they play? As mentioned above, Columbia would be a good idea. Share Red Bull Arena. Expand and update Downing Stadium on Randall's Island.

As for sharing Red Bull Arena, let's see…Chivas (or the LA whatevers) and the Galaxy share a stadium…so do the Jets and Giants! So, I don't see a big deal in sharing RBA. If RBA isn't going to let them use the facility, then if I was Don Garber, I'd sit the owners down and explain that they will have a mighty fine rivalry that sells a lot of tickets, so the important thing is to have them start play sooner rather than later. Makes sense, right?

As for building a stadium, the land next to Citifield is a certified disaster area. It's a dump and always has been. It has been mentioned as a site for a soccer-specific stadium. I'm on board with that. I can see them building over Sunnyside Yards. That has been on the drawing board since the Jets made noises about leaving the City and now that ESA (LIRR East Side Access) is being built and a station in Sunnyside is part of the deal, that would mean plentiful transit options for the City and the Island. I'd even be on board for a west-side development here in Manhattan, so long as it was privately financed (and now that the 7 train will end at the Javits Center, it will be easy to get to.)

The bottom line to me is that FC NYC or NYC FC or whatever the f you want to call them is a joke. Bad team name + bad stadium choice + rush to get out the product = EPIC FAIL.

Did the owners of NYCFC touch you inappropriately or something? Jeebus.

The Yankee Stadium move is temporary. Also, the ownership includes the Yankees, meaning they have control over Yankee Stadium, which means a better revenue stream than playing somewhere else while they continue to investigate a permanent stadium site (which in NY will take a ton of politicking... duh).

As for the image, I'm guessing that's a photo of the stadium set up for one of the friendlies that's been played there, with some NYCFC signage added.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think it'd be so cool if they could somehow find a spot in Manhattan to build a stadium for NYCFC. I'm not too up on my NYC city planning, is there any feasible spot available? Wasn't there brief discussion about building the Jets a stadium in Manhattan? I'm sure its beyond unlikely NYCFC would play in Manhattan, but a guy can dream.

90758391980.gif

Manhattan will be tricky, because there's not a whole lot of land available. And what there is can usually be put to better use than a sports facility.

There was some talk of converting Pier 40, on the Hudson River. It's currently used primarily for youth soccer.

pier40location.jpg

That would have been amazing.

pier40stadium_ext.jpg

pier40stadium_int.jpg

But then again, there is an issue about giving such valuable public space to a private, for-profit entity.

Manhattan will be tricky, because there's not a whole lot of land available. And what there is can usually be put to better use than a sports facility.

There was some talk of converting Pier 40, on the Hudson River. It's currently used primarily for youth soccer.

pier40location.jpg

That would have been amazing.

pier40stadium_ext.jpg

pier40stadium_int.jpg

But then again, there is an issue about giving such valuable public space to a private, for-profit entity.

Wow that would be an excellent venture by the City of New York and NYCFC. They would definately have one of, if not best, stadiums in North America. Plus with the other arificial pitches, it could be used by youth leagues for the five boroughs.

As for sharing Red Bull Arena, let's see…Chivas (or the LA whatevers) and the Galaxy share a stadium…so do the Jets and Giants! So, I don't see a big deal in sharing RBA. If RBA isn't going to let them use the facility, then if I was Don Garber, I'd sit the owners down and explain that they will have a mighty fine rivalry that sells a lot of tickets, so the important thing is to have them start play sooner rather than later. Makes sense, right?

NYCFC playing at RBA is a big no-no.

This new team has advertised themselves as NYC's team as opposed to Red Bull being essentially New Jersey's team (I'm just restating their marketing campaign so don't shoot the messenger).

Also this team is owned by Man City and the New York Yankees. Do you think there is enough humility between those two organizations to even think about groveling to Red Bull so that they could play in their stadium even if it was the best option?

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Did the owners of NYCFC touch you inappropriately or something? Jeebus.

The Yankee Stadium move is temporary. Also, the ownership includes the Yankees, meaning they have control over Yankee Stadium, which means a better revenue stream than playing somewhere else while they continue to investigate a permanent stadium site (which in NY will take a ton of politicking... duh).

As for the image, I'm guessing that's a photo of the stadium set up for one of the friendlies that's been played there, with some NYCFC signage added.

That's a full photoshop. I think the picture is from Mariano's last game. The field was set up differently for the friendlies.

Anubis.png

Archived