North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

Oh man, I had that last season. Not to the extreme of that video but by the end of 2013 the crowds were very thin at BMO and people started giving away or selling their seats.

I'm in a supporter's section and this guy had brought his 2 kids and wife and was getting mad at me for standing. Finally he worked up the courage to say something. Now, at BMO field there are signs saying that you are in a supporter's section and everyone is allowed to stand. So I just politely pointed him to the sign and offered for his family to sit in our row (there were empty seats) and I encourage him to stand and sing with us, so no big deal in the end. I even handed his son my flag to wave around.

But man I hate that, why get mad? Join in! Have fun, that's why you are at the game!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At CenturyLink Field, the expectation is standing in most sections -- but not in the club seats. There are proportionately fewer club seats, so if you don't want yo stand the entire game you sit there or in the 300 level.

That altercation was in the club section and while the complainer acted like a jerk, he also had a point. Everyone sits in that section, except when you occasionally have a line of two people standing, from row G to Z or whatever, because one guy forgets where he's sitting.

I've stood through entire Sounders games, but unless you're in the supporters section, I don't really get the point.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That's perhaps a tad hyperbolic. In England, they aren't allowed to stand in the upper tiers, including the Prem.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That's perhaps a tad hyperbolic. In England, they aren't allowed to stand in the upper tiers, including the Prem.

Indeed - persistent standing is against ground regulations, and whilst there isn't a fuss if people stand for the odd song or if they get to their feet at a key moment, if you try to stand for most of the match you run the risk of earning a steward's wrath.

That said, many clubs will have a section where the stewards turn a blind eye - we stand at the KC each game, there's three-and-a-bit blocks where most folk are on their feet for the full 90 minutes. If I can stand at away games I will do, but I pay heed to those behind me.

In Seattle at least, the "Standing is how you show you're a real fan and ISN'T THIS SO MUCH FUN" crowd gets old. I enjoy watching the Emerald City Supporters do their thing, but I wish the standing section was smaller -- like not 7/8s of the entire building. This is why people standing in the club section -- the most expensive seats in the stadium -- is so annoying.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 2 weeks later...

MLS and US Soccer announce details of new national TV contracts (English and Spanish).

8 years at $90M/year for the league on average and five times what the league is getting this season

From the NY Times

The new partnership, details of which will be announced in New York, gives the networks the exclusive right to M.L.S. and United States national team games until 2022. ESPN and Fox Sports 1 will split the English-language national team package and will team with Univision’s networks to broadcast about 125 M.L.S. games each season.

But the most important aspect of the deal for M.L.S. and its fans could be the establishment of game-of-the-week windows on all three networks. Univision — primarily UniMas — will show a game of the week on Fridays (with SAP capability for English-speaking fans), and ESPN and Fox Sports 1 will broadcast a doubleheader every Sunday at 5 and 7 p.m.

The player's association now has something to work with in terms of future revenue for CBA talks this off-season.

MLS and US Soccer announce details of new national TV contracts (English and Spanish).

8 years at $90M/year for the league on average and five times what the league is getting this season

From the NY Times

The new partnership, details of which will be announced in New York, gives the networks the exclusive right to M.L.S. and United States national team games until 2022. ESPN and Fox Sports 1 will split the English-language national team package and will team with Univision’s networks to broadcast about 125 M.L.S. games each season.

But the most important aspect of the deal for M.L.S. and its fans could be the establishment of game-of-the-week windows on all three networks. Univision — primarily UniMas — will show a game of the week on Fridays (with SAP capability for English-speaking fans), and ESPN and Fox Sports 1 will broadcast a doubleheader every Sunday at 5 and 7 p.m.

The player's association now has something to work with in terms of future revenue for CBA talks this off-season.

Looking at the details this looks like a very short sighted deal. For the second half of the season, when you eant to be increasing viewership, all MLS telecast will be going up against the 4 pm NFL double header game on Fox/Cbs and then Sunday night Football. Good luck gaining traction.

It would be better off if the English double header and Spanish language games on Univision were switch, with fox and espn2 on Friday nights away from the NFL. I guess that was what FOX and ESPN were offering and you have to take that amount of money, but it looks like MLS hurt their future negotiating power in agreeing to those timeslots. It also looks like Fox and ESPN just paid for USMNT rights and are just burying the attached MLS games.

From the NY Times

Looking at the details this looks like a very short sighted deal. For the second half of the season, when you eant to be increasing viewership, all MLS telecast will be going up against the 4 pm NFL double header game on Fox/Cbs and then Sunday night Football. Good luck gaining traction.

It would be better off if the English double header and Spanish language games on Univision were switch, with fox and espn2 on Friday nights away from the NFL. I guess that was what FOX and ESPN were offering and you have to take that amount of money, but it looks like MLS hurt their future negotiating power in agreeing to those timeslots. It also looks like Fox and ESPN just paid for USMNT rights and are just burying the attached MLS games.

ESPN is also picking up the digital package to place on ESPN3, but I am curious on how much US Soccer will skim off the top for themselves and the possible long term survival of the NWSL.

From the NY Times

Fact of the matter is that by and large, your people watching MLS games in the fall aren't going to be your people watching NFL at every damn hour of Sunday afternoon.

It's a good, consistent slot to be in IMO. With the exception of maybe watching their local team, the same people that are going to watch the MLS at 5:00 and 7:00 on Sundays are the same exact people that would be watching at 7:00 and 9:00 on Friday night.

6fQjS3M.png

I find it funny how the Brooklyn Italians are taking pot-shots at the future NYCFC-RBNY derby with their match up against the Cosmos in the Open Cup.

7bFs4Pq.jpg

iLs58dJ.jpg

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Yes they do, and they still have a ton of catching up to do vs the RedBulls in regards to actual history. Both of which have a ton of catching up to the Brooklyn Italians.

I was just using the terminology from the ad. The fact they are implying the Red Bulls "created" their history but the Cosmos didn't is ridiculous.

Yes they do, and they still have a ton of catching up to do vs the RedBulls in regards to actual history. Both of which have a ton of catching up to the Brooklyn Italians.

I was just using the terminology from the ad. The fact they are implying the Red Bulls "created" their history but the Cosmos didn't is ridiculous.

i think its more a knock on NYCFC

I don't understand why the Italians didn't take shots at the Cosmos as well since they are older than them (no matter how you look at it) and they are actually playing the Cosmos.

Speaking of which I am surprised there isn't a team in Brooklyn that can appeal to the hipsters. Maybe NYCFC should make a USL-PRO team there so that the Italians can take more shots at NYCFC.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

From a logo standpoint, the Italians have one of the few nice logos in the NPSL. In fact, I think it's a ton better than the Cosmos'.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

From a logo standpoint, the Italians have one of the few nice logos in the NPSL. In fact, I think it's a ton better than the Cosmos'.

Must be a new logo too. When I was doing US2030, I eyed Brooklyn to possibly throw in because I would've gotten so much satisfaction in redoing the mess they had before

Archived