North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

And what I'm saying is there isn't a whole lot of imagery that is distinctively "French" that applies besides the Fleur de Lis.

If were only teferring to the French monarchy, then using imagery of settlers, French colonists, or anything related to the massive army the French monarchy had would work.

The best way of representing French cultures for these cities would be to use specific forms of French culture that still exists in their cities. Replace the fleur de lis, which is a symbol that has been practically claimed by the city of New Orleans.

Maurice the fur trapper/trader is one hell of an image. And both St. Louis and Louisville have also laid claim to the Fleur de Lis.

New France/Louisiana (the territory) never had a large French settler population. Which is a big reason why both eventually came under the rule of English-speaking governments.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And what I'm saying is there isn't a whole lot of imagery that is distinctively "French" that applies besides the Fleur de Lis.

If were only teferring to the French monarchy, then using imagery of settlers, French colonists, or anything related to the massive army the French monarchy had would work.

The best way of representing French cultures for these cities would be to use specific forms of French culture that still exists in their cities. Replace the fleur de lis, which is a symbol that has been practically claimed by the city of New Orleans.

Maurice the fur trapper/trader is one hell of an image. And both St. Louis and Louisville have also laid claim to the Fleur de Lis.

New France/Louisiana (the territory) never had a large French settler population. Which is a big reason why both eventually came under the rule of English-speaking governments.

Don't you mean Pierre the voyageur?

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

The cities are named after French kings. Why are we arguing about the usage of the fleur de lis again? It fits. Move on.

Just because it fits, doesn't mean we should be using it for every city that it does fit.
there arent that many cities/ provinces that this pertains to though, Montreal, Quebec, Louisville, St. Louis, New Orleans, everything else we gained from the Louisiana purchase was largely i inhabited still and there were no cities like those other examples

Still trying to figure out why four teams out of 120 is considered to be excessive.

The cities are named after French kings. Why are we arguing about the usage of the fleur de lis again? It fits. Move on.

Just because it fits, doesn't mean we should be using it for every city that it does fit.
there arent that many cities/ provinces that this pertains to though, Montreal, Quebec, Louisville, St. Louis, New Orleans, everything else we gained from the Louisiana purchase was largely i inhabited still and there were no cities like those other examples

Why use a symbol that is already used by practically every sports team in New Orleans (Football, minor league baseball, Pelicans(?), New Orleans Jesters, and FC New Orleans) though? The fleur de lis should only be used where French is still a significant part of that cities culture. Montreal and New Orleans are two cities where French culture is still thriving, St. Louis and Louisville it is not.

It's silly to me to use the Fleur De Lis when A. it's not historically relevant anymore and B. It's being used very prevalently by one specific city in the US and also used by an MLS team.

This is a perfect example of teams using a simple identifier with no true connection to the city, but to an entirely different city.

I'm not quite sure you can make that claim when the emblem is on the :censored: ing city flags.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not quite sure you can make that claim when the emblem is on the :censored: ing city flags.

Sure it is, I'm sure 90% of people living there couldn't pick out the city flag if it was waved right in front of them. The fleur de lis on the city flag doesn't mean it's the right emblem to use, for the reasons I provided.

But now that were bringing up arguments posted two pages ago, why don't we just end it. Sorry I would've liked to see more creativity out of teams that are just re-using an emblem used by other sports teams. God forbid.

The fleur-de-lis means "lily flower," so there is your new imagery for Louisville City's logo.

The problem is not that the fleur-de-lis is overused in professional sports, but that the fleur-de-lis is overused in THIS logo. It is a big hunk of gold meant to symbolize "internationality" and "high esteem" surrounded by negative space overlaid on a big, fat, purple bourbon barrel full of booze...Kentucky.

The team is named "Louisville City" (kinda redundant if you ask me..."ville" = "city" in French) because the MLS affiliate will be Orlando City. Unless Louisville City had no choice but to name their team "Louisville City," there is an unfortunate coincidence in the naming of the team by English soccer standards (Manchester City, Stoke City, Leicester City, etc.) and the obvious French symbolism. Why did the French buy the land bought in the Louisiana Purchase in the first place? Hint: to mess with the English.

The fleur-de-lis is definitely relevant because of the number of sports teams that have started to use it. It is merely another clip-art icon that unimaginative sports owners can use in their logos.

4/120 = 1 team per league uses the fleur-de-lis. Too many IMO. 2 would be too many, otherwise the symbol comes to symbolize more than 1 team. The teams which use it lose their identity...I thought this was a common complaint among us...why don't the New Orleans Saints have an intellectual property claim against Louisville City? Why doesn't the French government have a claim against the New Orleans Saints? Just riffin.

Uncreative font too.

Probably the only English/European club name theme to go completely unused by American soccer teams is the stand-alone nickname without the city name (i.e. Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Tourbillon FC (Chadian soccer), Arsenal FC, etc.). Why couldn't Louisville City just be called Fleur-de-lis FC, Renaissance FC, Stables FC (yuck), KFC FC (ooh, or "Kentuckiana Football Club"), Country FC, or simply "River'Breds," "Colonels," or "Bats?"

Why not call the team "Cold Beer on a Friday Night Pair of Jeans that Fit Just Right T-Turn the Radio Uuuu-u-up Football Club?"

MetroStars might have been the only attempt in MLS.

I'm not going to say you don't know St. Louis and Louisville because I don't know you at all. But have you ever been to either city? If you have fair enough, at least you're saying things from experience but its a different experience than I've had. I lived near St. Louis. I grew up going there every summer. That flag is flown everywhere. People know it. They embrace it. I've been to Louisville numerous times. I haven't lived there but I've visited and seen that symbol all over the city. People get it tattooed on them with scenes from Louisville or logos from Louisville. Its a recognizable symbol. The current flag is not embraced because its a "seal on a flag" but people defiantly love the symbol on it.

You have a point that its used by other cities, but to me that's not a good enough reason to ignore their own history and fan base.

Btw the team is going to have a Logo Design Contest to fix this. Its like asking for a car and getting a hot wheel.

Not much going on at all in the DC United-Columbus Crew match at FedEx Field...a couple close chances for DC and a lot of possession but not much else at the Columbus end.

Hopefully there'll be some scoring in the second half.

25yzwqg.png

What a disappointment. Conor Doyle forces a penalty kick deep into stoppage time, and it seemed fitting that Fabian Espindola would drive home the PK and cap off a the FedEx doubleheader with a 1-0 last-minute win for United, but instead Espindola goes for the Panenka penalty and fails miserably. Goalkeeper Steve Clark didn't even budge. The whole place was up in arms.

Make that two missed penalties on the day: first Cesc Fabregàs's miss way over the crossbar early in the first half of the first game, then Fabian Espindola's terribly executed Panenka penalty attempt.

0-0 finishes suck. Leaves so much to be desired.

25yzwqg.png

...combined? :upside:

Also, Minnesota United has won the NASL Spring Season.

You might imagine I feel something like this:

giphy.gif

It almost seems like it's combined :P I think we've won more home games this year than the past two years combined.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived