North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

Has anyone been following indoor soccer? The PASL become the MASL this year and has expanded. Seattle now has a team called the Seattle Impact and will play out of the ShoWare Center in Kent. Apparently the original plan was to bring back the Tacoma Stars name and logo but that fell through for some reason. Has anyone been to a PASL game? Is the quality what I would expect an indoor soccer league in 2014 to be?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who punches a kid over sports period, much less minor league soccer? Sounds like the wrong Floridian city/fanbase got a MLS team...

Its embarrassing that the only reason Orlando got the team is that they could build an SSS. Sorry to the real fans, but these supporters dont deserve MLS.

I went to a Rowdies-OCSC match in 2013 and will never go to another match against Orlando again.

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to get out of that video, to be honest.

I'm put off by the smoke bombs. I can't think of a justifiable reason for them, other than people are dumb.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Did anyone see the open letter to all Orlando City SC supporters from founder and president Phil Rawlins.

http://orlandocitysc.com/news/?article_id=1952

They came down pretty hard on both The Ruckus and Iron Lion Firm (indefinitely suspended pending their agreement of a new Fan Code of Conduct which follows MLS Supporters' Group guidelines). Though it seemed like a drawn out response (three days after the incident), I was hoping this would have come out on Monday or Tuesday. I guess The Don was on the phone as soon as he saw the footage to Rawlins. I myself am happy OCSC has come down as hard as they have on both supporter groups. I know there are only four members of The Ruckus who were arrested but they wanted to send a message to all SG members that this will not be taken lightly.

And there was someone on this thread alone said the club couldn't ban a SG from matches? Well guess what, Orlando City SC has.

I have nothing against smoke bombs or pyro being used during big tifo unveiling at the beginning of a match. As long as you are in an area of good breeze to blow the smoke out of the stadium, not into the pitch (normally results in suspension of play by the referee) and buckets of water nearby to stick the pyro into after it is done due to the long lasting high temperature burns they carry. But as a SG, you need the assistance and guidance from the front office of the club to back you up on this.

But what The Ruckus was doing on Sunday night was far but respectful. They actually almost caught their stands in their area of the stadium on fire plus there were some improper actions by certain members who took it a little too far. I find that a lot of smaller American club supporter groups try to emulate the big supporter groups of eastern Europe and South/Central America, plus what they have seen on Football Factories. And they fail miserably, hence The Ruckus and 1906 Ultras.

Here's another word of advice.

Eastern and Southern European fan "traditions" should never be aped or emulated. Far too many political and ethnic/racial overtones permeate those traditions for them to be used. Britain may have cleaned up its act by now, but lets also remember that it took a number of dead bystanders and a 5/6 year ban on international play.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Did anyone see the open letter to all Orlando City SC supporters from founder and president Phil Rawlins.

http://orlandocitysc.com/news/?article_id=1952

They came down pretty hard on both The Ruckus and Iron Lion Firm (indefinitely suspended pending their agreement of a new Fan Code of Conduct which follows MLS Supporters' Group guidelines). Though it seemed like a drawn out response (three days after the incident), I was hoping this would have come out on Monday or Tuesday. I guess The Don was on the phone as soon as he saw the footage to Rawlins. I myself am happy OCSC has come down as hard as they have on both supporter groups. I know there are only four members of The Ruckus who were arrested but they wanted to send a message to all SG members that this will not be taken lightly.

And there was someone on this thread alone said the club couldn't ban a SG from matches? Well guess what, Orlando City SC has.

The team could not have handled that any better. A zero tolerance policy for that crap is the way to handle it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't really have a huge problem with colored smoke at games, however the way its fetishized by the hardcore American supporter culture is crazy.

There are some twitter accounts that post pictures of North American supporter group and while some of its impressive Tifo or huge crowds, so much of it is just smoke bombs. In some cases you can literally count the number of fans but its "impressive" because of the smoke. They've also posted pictures of Orlando City fans with opposing groups flags or scarfs, glorifying entering other group sections and stealing personal property.

There is no room for entering other fan sections period. There is no room for violence at sporting events period. There is no room for stealing period. These are at least 3 things I think we all can agree on. And a few Orlando City fans were guilty of at least two of these facts in Tampa Bay (even if instigated) and got what they deserved. It can be policed internally by those groups but it clearly isn't, especially when you see them double down on the behavior with their official statements after the games.

Its not all that surprising that this involves Orlando City and Tampa Bay. It always involves Orlando City, Tampa Bay or Atlanta in the lower levels with Tampa Bay typically being the victim in these. They were also involved last year with both the Cosmos and Silverbacks which lead to the infamous "watch another league" tweet by the NASL commish. Not suggesting they bring it on themselves or anything for sure, but it never surprises me when it involves Tampa Bay.

Here's another word of advice.

Eastern and Southern European fan "traditions" should never be aped or emulated. Far too many political and ethnic/racial overtones permeate those traditions for them to be used. Britain may have cleaned up its act by now, but lets also remember that it took a number of dead bystanders and a 5/6 year ban on international play.

Bingo.

As someone who's been to a fair few games in England in the last decade and a half (Prem and Championship), I'd say that MLS and the NASL would do well if they could have the same environment in their stadiums. But England had to go though a long and painful process to get there, and there are certain morons who seem determined not to learn from their example.

Complaints about standing aside, the Sounders experience is generally a nice one. Some rival team fans can get ugly (I once saw a fight along Timbers/Sounders fans at a CONCACAF game), but people generally behave, they don't set off smoke bombs in the stadium, and people generally enjoy themselves.

I'm planning on going to Sunday's Sounders/Timbers game, and don't expect any violence. Dummies looking for trouble will certainly show up, but it's a credit to the organizations involved that generally it's all talk and no action.

In general, sporting events should be fun. If you're finding your personal identity is largely influenced by a low- or mid-level soccer team, it's time to reassess.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

In general, sporting events should be fun. If you're finding your personal identity is largely influenced by a low- or mid-level soccer team, it's time to reassess.

I'd rather have my identity shaped by a soccer team instead of a job, or a political party.

Through soccer I've met some of my best friends, kept in shape by playing in supporters group soccer leagus and traveled to places I'd never before thought of going. I wouldn't trade my supporters group or team for anything.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived