North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bite. What's the standing issues at Sounders games?

I can't speak for DG but one issue is that there are specific sections for standing and then there are certain sections for people who want to sit. However, you get people who want to stand in the sitting section. Anyone complaining about standing in the standing section is rightfully laughed at and ignored. But if you tell a stander in the sitting section to sit down, you get the defensive, elite soccer fan response.

I can't speak for DG but one issue is that there are specific sections for standing and then there are certain sections for people who want to sit. However, you get people who want to stand in the sitting section. Anyone complaining about standing in the standing section is rightfully laughed at and ignored. But if you tell a stander in the sitting section to sit down, you get the defensive, elite soccer fan response.

That's when the stadium security has to step in, informing those standing that it's a sitting section.

It's like those idiots that want to bring beer into the Family Sections at minor league hockey games near me.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Needschat, you were a former player? Who did you play for? What leagues?

Semi-pro in the early, mid 80s. Played a few games in the Cosmopolitan Soccer League, top filight semi-pro in and around NYC. Had some "fans" try the smoke bomb crap. Just delayed the game.

That's when the stadium security has to step in, informing those standing that it's a sitting section.

It's like those idiots that want to bring beer into the Family Sections at minor league hockey games near me.

I don't think that's a fair comparison at all. Alcohol and kids clearly do not mix. Standing and watching sports... not as offensive in my mind.

Just because there are "standing sections" (really they are sections designated for the supporters groups and have nothing to do with standing/sitting) doesn't mean that all other sections at a sporting event are "sitting sections". People that complain about others standing, at a soccer game or any sport, have always baffled me. You pay for a ticket and an assigned seat but you never sign anything that says you have to actually use the seat.

Maybe it's because I grew up with college sports where the vast majority of people in the stadum/arena stood the entire time but it just seems silly to me to complain about people who would rather stand while they cheer on their teams.

In the end it is mob mentality I suppose. Nobody complains about people standing at sporting events when most people are standing because they know nobody will listen to them. But when only a few people in an area are standing suddenly the people who don't want to stand have the power to ridicule and yell at them when really they're doing nothing wrong.

Personally I'm just of the opinion that if you're at a sporting event, then get off your ass and cheer. If I'm sitting the entire time at any sporting event I go to I probably don't actually want to be there. Even at NHL games or places where most people sit the entire time I'm generally on my feet for at least some portion of the game.

In general, sporting events should be fun. If you're finding your personal identity is largely influenced by a low- or mid-level soccer team, it's time to reassess.

Not all soccer fans are glory hunters. It's not surprising to me that the lower leagues have more of the type of behavior seen at the Tampa/Orlando game than you see in the MLS because it takes a lot more commitment and passion to be a supporter of lower level clubs. Although Orlando's recent entrance into the MLS is probably a major factor in the surge of support and dumb kids jumping on hip new bandwagons.

And there is certainly nothing wrong with supporting your local club just because it isn't in the MLS (which could be considered lower level soccer too which makes that viewpoint somewhat laughable)

I don't think that's a fair comparison at all. Alcohol and kids clearly do not mix. Standing and watching sports... not as offensive in my mind.

Just because there are "standing sections" (really they are sections designated for the supporters groups and have nothing to do with standing/sitting) doesn't mean that all other sections at a sporting event are "sitting sections". People that complain about others standing, at a soccer game or any sport, have always baffled me. You pay for a ticket and an assigned seat but you never sign anything that says you have to actually use the seat.

Maybe it's because I grew up with college sports where the vast majority of people in the stadum/arena stood the entire time but it just seems silly to me to complain about people who would rather stand while they cheer on their teams.

In the end it is mob mentality I suppose. Nobody complains about people standing at sporting events when most people are standing because they know nobody will listen to them. But when only a few people in an area are standing suddenly the people who don't want to stand have the power to ridicule and yell at them when really they're doing nothing wrong.

Personally I'm just of the opinion that if you're at a sporting event, then get off your ass and cheer. If I'm sitting the entire time at any sporting event I go to I probably don't actually want to be there. Even at NHL games or places where most people sit the entire time I'm generally on my feet for at least some portion of the game.

Certain sections are set aside for certain activities. Family sections are alcohol-free, sitting sections are standing-free.

Well, I guess we just go to different kinds of sporting events as I've never heard the term "sitting section" in my life until now. Although that's probably a good idea for soccer clubs with large supporters groups like Seattle to have. I imagine the actual supporters sections fill up fast over there so the rest of the fans that want to stand are spread out throughout the stadium. So designate some "sitting only" sections and let everyone else enjoy the game how they want.

Yes, there is.

It's called "don't block the view of the person behind you".

"Some portion of the game" being the operative phrase. In an exciting moment? Sure. But standing the whole time in a section not specifically set aside for that is boorish, selfish behavior.

Well, I guess we just go to different kinds of sporting events as I've never heard the term "sitting section" in my life until now. Although that's probably a good idea for soccer clubs with large supporters groups like Seattle to have. I imagine the actual supporters sections fill up fast over there so the rest of the fans that want to stand are spread out throughout the stadium. So designate some "sitting only" sections and let everyone else enjoy the game how they want.

I think Seattle's the only place I've heard of having it.

It's about being courteous to others. The "I paid for a seat and you can't make me sit in it" belief in the sitting section is an extremely selfish way to act. Both my father and grandfather have bad knees and can't remain standing for extended periods of time. So if they want to go to a game, they're going to spend 95% of the game sitting. And they're not asking you to not be passionate and yell or sing or jump out of your seat for a goal, they just want to be able to watch the run of play...

Exactly. It's incredibly selfish to expect everyone around you to stand unless the section is specifically designated for that and people buying tickets know that up front.

NYCFC is talking about having some standing areas. But we won't know for sure until they actually unveil the full packages.

In general, sporting events should be fun. If you're finding your personal identity is largely influenced by a low- or mid-level soccer team, it's time to reassess.

Not all soccer fans are glory hunters. It's not surprising to me that the lower leagues have more of the type of behavior seen at the Tampa/Orlando game than you see in the MLS because it takes a lot more commitment and passion to be a supporter of lower level clubs. Although Orlando's recent entrance into the MLS is probably a major factor in the surge of support and dumb kids jumping on hip new bandwagons.

And there is certainly nothing wrong with supporting your local club just because it isn't in the MLS (which could be considered lower level soccer too which makes that viewpoint somewhat laughable)

That was kind of my point. MLS is absolutely mid-level, but that doesn't make it a bad time.

The way it works at Sounders games is, in general, all seats that aren't club seats are standing sections. That doesn't mean "okay to stand during exciting moments;" it means "stand for the entire game whether anything is happening or not." If the third deck is open, those are sometimes seated seats, but it depends on the game.

Here's the seating map:

140310-map.png

The 200-level club seats are cushioned, have access to a separate, indoor lounge area, and cost the most of any seats. The seats average about $150 per, which is a lot for MLS soccer. I've sat there several times, but it adds up. It's a lot to pay to be able to just sit and watch a game, regardless of whether you want the frills (which I generally don't).

My personal problem with the standing only sections, which again, is the majority of the stadium, is that it feels simultaneously forced and pointless. It's as if 30,000 people need to assert to themselves that the Sounders are FUN and the only way to have FUN is to stand up and show how much FUN you're having. What actually happens is the supporters group does its thing, while 25,000 other people alternate between standing with their arms crossed and checking their smartphones.

If I'm ticketed in a non-club section (which is mostly where I buy tickets), by the middle of the first half I eventually get over myself and have a good time.

All that said, I'm fully willing to accept that I'm the weird one, and that people stand up for 90 minutes consecutively at every soccer game everywhere. It doesn't jibe with my experiences at every other American major league game I've attended, but there it is.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Good for them.

You can't run a league with 3 teams-it'd be the financial instability of teams 4-10/12/14/16/whatever that destroys the "Canadian Premier League"

Pretty much how Scotland is now. One stable team and 11 also rans.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Canadian Soccer News, CSN, reported today in an exclusive that the CSA, CFL and NASL are to launch a Canadian league with play to start in 2016.

CSN has confirmed that the CSA is involved in negotiations with the CFL and NASL to launch an all-Canadian league.

There could be as many as seven teams involved, all affiliated with local CFL teams and playing in CFL stadiums.

Hamilton's Bob Young is said to be the leading voice on the CFL side. The Ti-Cats owner was previously involved in professional soccer in Carolina. Although he had a falling out with Traffic Sports, sources say that relationship has been healed.

The league would likely begin play in 2016, which the possibility of up to two teams coming in for 2015 (Hamilton and Calgary have been suggested).

The three MLS markets will likely opt out. There is no word on whether teams independent of CFL teams (with the exception of the pre-existing FC Edmonton) will be considered. It's likely that such arrangements would be considered after the league was established.

The league would be affiliated with the American NASL. The format would likely resemble Major League Baseball with two distinct leagues operating in close cooperation. There would be some inter-league play and the Soccer Bowl would likely be played between the two champions.

CSN reached out to the CSA. We will update their response when we receive it. Attempts were also made to reach the CFL.

This is huge news for Canada as we have been wanting a professional league here for a number of years. But in my mind, I won't believe it until I see it with actual league matches being played. I still the CSA is pulling this stunt to help toward their 2026 World Cup bid.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/world-cup-2014/csa-cfl-and-nasl-to-launch-canadian-league-r4701

Archived