North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

Pro/Rel won't work in the US and Canada. There's no history of it like there is for the rest of the world. Like others have said, the NASL should first work on their ownership groups before even thinking of this.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the NASL working with the CFL to create some sort of Canadian Premier League? How's that going? That seems like a much more feasible idea than trying to institute pro/rel in North America or trying to compete with MLS.

In its current iteration, promotion/relegation really does nothing to benefit the NASL. There's three clubs in the entire division that have it together well enough to think about surviving in MLS—Minnesota, San Antonio, and from an FO standpoint, Indy—and the bottom third of the league would probably struggle to get back up in USL PRO.

NASL needs to be much more concerned about sustainability and finding the right expansion markets moving forward than the pipe dream of promotion/relegation.

If #lolpeterson really wants to do anything that resembles competing with MLS, he needs to focus on finding ownership in strong markets. If NASL can bring in 6 or so more markets that are about as strong as Indy and Jacksonville (at least how they appear to have it together), they can perhaps start to think about being in a place in 10 years that at least is on the cusp of rivaling MLS.

You get a league that has 10-12 strong markets and maybe we can talk about this. But right now? There are three strong markets in the entire league. That's not the recipe for success.

Ottawa might be able to survive in MLS as well if they continue getting good attendance the new stadium like they did against the Cosmos.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Peterson tells SI.com that promotion and relegation could be a viable concept in North America and asserts that a European-style model could be successful and appreciated by American fans.

The fans may appreciate it, but the taxpayers and city fathers who built those shiny new soccer-specific stadia will hate it with the fire of a thousand suns.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Isn't the NASL working with the CFL to create some sort of Canadian Premier League? How's that going? That seems like a much more feasible idea than trying to institute pro/rel in North America or trying to compete with MLS.

In its current iteration, promotion/relegation really does nothing to benefit the NASL. There's three clubs in the entire division that have it together well enough to think about surviving in MLS—Minnesota, San Antonio, and from an FO standpoint, Indy—and the bottom third of the league would probably struggle to get back up in USL PRO.

NASL needs to be much more concerned about sustainability and finding the right expansion markets moving forward than the pipe dream of promotion/relegation.

If #lolpeterson really wants to do anything that resembles competing with MLS, he needs to focus on finding ownership in strong markets. If NASL can bring in 6 or so more markets that are about as strong as Indy and Jacksonville (at least how they appear to have it together), they can perhaps start to think about being in a place in 10 years that at least is on the cusp of rivaling MLS.

You get a league that has 10-12 strong markets and maybe we can talk about this. But right now? There are three strong markets in the entire league. That's not the recipe for success.

Ottawa might be able to survive in MLS as well if they continue getting good attendance the new stadium like they did against the Cosmos.

The Canadian league is a horrible, horrible idea for NASL to get involved in but that's neither here nor there.

I'd like to see Ottawa draw for more than one league game. It's a good start, I'll give them that, but we'll see if it holds up.

6fQjS3M.png

Peterson tells SI.com that promotion and relegation could be a viable concept in North America and asserts that a European-style model could be successful and appreciated by American fans.

The fans may appreciate it, but the taxpayers and city fathers who built those shiny new soccer-specific stadia will hate it with the fire of a thousand suns.

Also the franchise owners who in some cases pay $100 million plus to play in the MLS (not NASL) will loathe the idea.

That's what I've been saying for years - even more than the MLS owners not paying $70 million for the right to be relegated, those cities aren't ponying up all that public money to build a minor-league stadium.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, crash, but I need to share the fantastic overhead goal by Christian Ramirez from Saturday night. That kid's got a bright future, I think.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The Canadian league is a horrible, horrible idea for NASL to get involved in but that's neither here nor there.

I'd like to see Ottawa draw for more than one league game. It's a good start, I'll give them that, but we'll see if it holds up.

No one really expected them to sustain crowds like that beyond the first game. A lot of the people who attended the Cosmos game were Redblacks fans who received tickets as part of a promotion which gave everyone who attended the football home opener free tickets to the first Fury game at TD Place. As we move into the fall and the weather starts cooling down the attendance will likely continue to drop off. However, if the team is able to improve over the next couple of years and start building up a loyal following they might draw the attention of MLS. The league is already aware of the market's potential considering how impressed they were with Eugene Melnyk's bid for an expansion franchise a few years ago. They said that if stadium plans had been finalized Ottawa would've likely gotten one of the franchises. While the new stadium isn't soccer specific, it's beautiful and has a capacity that is around the same as most MLS stadiums.

Went and watched our first MLS game Saturday with the Crew beating LA 4-1. What an awesome game. Been a fan of soccer forever, but am obsessed now. I have never saw anything like it. By far the best live sporting event I have ever been to.

On another note... I don't think the relegating/promoting would work in North America. If anything the MLS should just expand to some more markets that could sustain a franchise.

With the addition of NYC, Orlando, and Miami that will put the league at 22. There are still some really good markets that are available: Minnesota, Indianapolis, Charlotte, Atlanta, and possibly Pittsburgh.

I really don't think the MLS is going to be hurt by adopting the FIFA Calendar. Soccer has it's own niche of fans.

Glad you liked it. There's nothing quote like a live match.

Just out of curiosity...

I don't think the relegating/promoting would work in North America.

Why not?

There's no history of promotion/relegation. Also, community governments are going to spend major league stadium prices for second or third level teams.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Okay, gotcha.

FWIW, I don't think history plays into it at all (as you note, this is a new sport with its own audience, much of which is familiar at least with the concept). But I've been saying for years that these cities aren't shelling out for second-division stadiums.

Shame, though. Would be good to introduce that particular level of excitement (to say nothing of incentive) to American sports somewhere. MLS would be better off for it.

Archived