North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

I'm less concerned with Canada winning right now than I am with Benito Floro getting young Canadians into the team, capped, and given playing time.

The last round of world cup qualifying was kind of the last kick at the can for a lot of Canadians and now it is time to start building the future of the program aggressively. Get players capped and build competition to get in the team.

The sport is reaching a spot (thanks to the MLS clubs and their academies) that we actually have a player pool to pick from. We can't afford to let players like Jonathan DeGuzman walk away anymore. Nor should we have to, you are a Canadian, play for your damn country.

Canada won't qualify for Russia. I know that. But this cycle is about making strides for the future of the program.

I too would love to see Floro play more youngsters as we push toward Gold Cup 2015 and the next cycle of World Cup Qualifying. I know we won't qualify for the 2018 World Cup but the next two to three years will be a factor in helping develop the young talent we have here in Canada. The more experimentation by Floro and the coaching staff will help us push toward a possible 2022 berth.

There might still be more Sydney Lerouxes in the future, which means we'll get to enjoy moments like this for a long time:

leroux.gif

As for Leroux, she can happily stay in the States as we want patriotic people playing for our country. Not turncoats like her just looking to become a glory hunter. Just think if she stayed here...may have been the next Sinclair. Now she will be just another American player who will be lost in the shuffle. I know I wanted to smash my tv when she scored that goal and that celebration against Canada...vile

At least we have at least one young player turning to Canada in Fraser Aird. He should be a decent midfielder in a few years weather he ends up playing in Scotland or England.

Aird will be a nice talent for the national program once his talents are honed. Agreed, he needs to travel to England or even maybe Germany to reach his full potential

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost in the shuffle? Yeah, no. She's one of the WNT's biggest stars and she'll be one of the most important names hoisting the WWC trophy in Vancouver next year.

You want vile? Let's talk about the Canadian "fans" who directed racist comments at her because she decided to play for the US.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Realistically, Canada should be targeting competitiveness in the 2022 World Cup cycle, yeah?

I think so. Some might argue that's even too soon but I do not think that.

Lost in the shuffle? Yeah, no. She's one of the WNT's biggest stars and she'll be one of the most important names hoisting the WWC trophy in Vancouver next year.

You want vile? Let's talk about the Canadian "fans" who directed racist comments at her because she decided to play for the US.

There's no excuse for the racist remarks. No matter what fan you are of what country/club. End of story. I was embarrassed to hear that happened.

But one bad group of fans does not mean that the whole country (or it's support) is like that.

As for being lost in the shuffle, I agree, she's not. She's a good player on a good international side. I can only say I wish she chose Canada. This isn't the first time I've said this though. Jonathan DeGuzman, Junior Hoilette (who'd rather just not play internationally than play for Canada), Owen Hargraeves, Teal Bunbury, Michael Petrasso....and the list goes on and on.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

But one bad group of fans does not mean that the whole country (or it's support) is like that.

Which is why I put the word in quotation marks.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Gus Johnson has been removed from FOX Sports's international football play-by-play commentator role today.

http://deadspin.com/gus-johnson-is-out-as-fox-sports-soccer-guy-1634809321

I wouldn't say "has been removed." He's stepped down from the No. 1 job. Neither side ruled out him doing World Cup games, just not as the top team.

And that's fine, if he can't commit to and just flat out can't do his best in the job, then don't do the job. A lot of people have been critical of him, and that's valid. His announcing style doesn't lend itself to soccer. It works in basketball. It works a bit lesser in football. But he doesn't work well in soccer, and I imagine he wouldn't work well in baseball for similar reasons. I enjoy Gus in doses, and this helps.

Hopefully the SI article is correct and FOX reaches out to Martin Tyler. But this move kinda kills the point of the Gus move in the first place. While we all enjoy the styling of Brits like Martin Tyler, Ian Darke, Jon Champion, and Arlow White has come along, we've always kind of lacked that true American sportscaster in soccer. I guess JP Dellacamera was kind of it for a little while, but personally, I never enjoyed his calls. My professor here at Cal State Long Beach, John Schrader, does a decent job with the Galaxy, but I don't think he's getting the call up anytime soon.

We need a true American soccer announcer. Maybe it's just our harsher accent that hasn't ever truly lent itself to the game, but there's got to be someone out there.... Hell, maybe it'll be me B);)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

It seems that Chivas USA is probably going to go on hiatus next season.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/09/12/chivas-usa-mls-sale-rebrand-sit-out-2015-hiatus-expansion

What a dumpster fire that team is.

I really like this idea. Like the article says you can move KC & Houston to the west and put Orlando & NYCFC in the east. 2017: Atlanta & LA2, 2020: Minnesota & Sacramento. I just don't see things working out for Beckham in Miami. Maybe he buys into the LA2 club.

Short of BeIN Sports, GolTV is the least viewable channel to have the US Open Cup Final on. Guess I'll be listening to the Sounders audio stream tonight.

I found it game-only feed (no audio) on VIP BOX, which I'm pairing with the Ross Fletcher commentary on soundersfc.com. The timing is a half-second off and the stream isn't great, but at least I've got an approximation of a broadcast.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Short of BeIN Sports, GolTV is the least viewable channel to have the US Open Cup Final on. Guess I'll be listening to the Sounders audio stream tonight.

I found it game-only feed (no audio) on VIP BOX, which I'm pairing with the Ross Fletcher commentary on soundersfc.com. The timing is a half-second off and the stream isn't great, but at least I've got an approximation of a broadcast.

Of course after it's over, I find out they streamed it, in HD no less, on TheCup.Us

Seems like they could have announced that or had it on the Sounders page instead of just listing GolTV and the audio stream as the only options.

Of course after it's over, I find out they streamed it, in HD no less, on TheCup.Us

Seems like they could have announced that or had it on the Sounders page instead of just listing GolTV and the audio stream as the only options.

Oh for Chrissakes. I watched enough crummy YouTube broadcasts of the Open Cup matches from Starfire that they owed me one. What a joke.

Not a joke is this year's Sounders team. The Galaxy (and the home-and-home to end the season) are looming, but Martins and Dempsey have regained their form. They're a lot of fun to watch together.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This was really cool to see last night: http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/09/16/clint-dempsey-celebrates-winning-his-first-club-trophy-2014-us-open-cup-victory

The Sounders -- Dempsey included -- flipped the eff out after winning the Open Cup.

There are 4 MLS teams that take it seriously and that's really sad.

I don't even get that. One of the great things about soccer is that there's always something else. Beyond the MLS, there's CONCACAF Champions League. Win that, and you play in the FIFA Club World Cup. You can get into CONCACAF by winning MLS Supporters Shield, MLS Cup, being the MLS Cup runner up or, of course, winning the US Open Cup.

Even if you don't win the league title, you still have a shot at high-level international competition. Why wouldn't you want to at least try?

Archived