North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

Depends. I don't know that the Cosmos "hassled them", just that the two parties couldn't come to an agreement. That needn't mean bad blood.

If Sela Sports is willing to pay the most for the Red Bulls, and they're willing to give up control of their trademarks and other assets to the single-entity structure, then sure. I can see it. There's still value in that brand, more I daresay than in the Red Bulls or Metros at this point.

Do I think it's likely? No. But it's certainly plausible.

I do believe that there is some animosity between MLS and the Cosmos now due to the 'Mos constantly talking about challenging MLS with what they pulled in the MLS Draft with Vancouver's pick.

I also don't think that the Cosmos ownership will be willing to give up that kind of control and do a 180 on their previous position unless they are really desperate.

Since they are drawing less than 5,000 fans per game, we may be approaching that point.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember correctly I believe the fact that the Cosmos ownership wanted 100% control of their brand while still being members of the league which caused negotiations between MLS and the Cosmos to eventually breakdown.

Well now that the Cosmos know their brand isn't as strong as they originally thought it was they'd probably be more willing to share.

The only time they seem to draw now is when they draw on the nostalgia factor of the original team. The new team has little drawing power on its own, it seems, though part of that could be how difficult it is to get to Hofstra's stadium.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Yeah, the stadium is a killer. No public transit, terrible to get to and scarcely worth the effort when you do.

And Belmont sure doesn't look like it is going to pan out. They were supposed to get a go ahead on that project almost a year ago and they're still waiting. It doesn't seem the state wants to play ball. And without a stadium the current Cosmos are just on a slow march to oblivion as they're never going to be what their investors were promised if they're stuck in the current NASL.

I personally think the Belmont stadium is a colossal mistake, but I'm not sure that we can or should read anything into the prolonged process.

The State of New York has to consider all the submitted redevelopment proposals before choosing one. Should they have come to a decision by now? Yeah, sure. But the fact that they haven't doesn't mean that the state doesn't "want to play ball" with any one of the specific plans.

The Sounders have had a great run this year, but the Galaxy look like the clear class of the league, and they're peaking at the right time. I'm looking forward to going to the Seattle end of their home-and-home that ends the season.

Toronto has some pretty handsome uniforms.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Sounders have had a great run this year, but the Galaxy look like the clear class of the league, and they're peaking at the right time. I'm looking forward to going to the Seattle end of their home-and-home that ends the season.

Toronto has some pretty handsome uniforms.

LA is the best team in the league. There's no question in my mind. I see them taking 4 if not 6 points from the last 2 vs Seattle.

Toronto didn't look too bad last night. LA is just better. It doesn't help that TFC started the game with only 1 striker, but I do get the idea of resting Gilberto since the next two games are against conference opponents.

1zqy8ok.gif

Speaking of, I went to the Cosmos game on Saturday. The attendance wasn't bad (6,200), but the team looked very little like the squad that finished one point out of first in the spring. Plenty of chances, but couldn't score. Got lucky, because the Indy 11 had the best look at all - they had a man with an open shot, nothing between him and the net, but he floated it over the crossbar. The Cosmos were lucky to escape with a draw, but that won't get them to the playoffs.

I like when the Sounders have the game in hand, which has been about half of their games this season. They start playing around with trick shots to see if they can do something spectacular. Sometimes they do, but mostly they just dick around and wait for the game to end.

This is in contrast to last season, where they only tried trick shots in open play; their only goals that counted where off of Eddie Johnson's head in set pieces.

That said, EJ's had a really quiet season, but I'm happy to see his team in first place.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Cosmos were lucky to escape with a draw, but that won't get them to the playoffs.

Right now, they sit in third. None of the teams chasing them have been able to put together consistent runs to try and get into the playoffs, so I expect them to still be there when the dust settles.

BzN_oKTCYAAB3Xi.png

-----

In other NASL news, Minnesota's Miguel Ibarra has been named to the 21-man roster for the upcoming USMNT friendlies. If he ends up getting onto the field, I will buy a copy of whatever jersey he's wearing, even if I won't fit into it.

POTD 2013-08-22

Yeah, the Cosmos are still okay at the moment, but that's on the strength of their good start to the season. Their form lately hasn't been great, and if they continue to play at this level making the playoffs might be moot, as they won't get very far in them.

And even though it's helping the boys in green and white, this new NASL format is just goofy. Playoff spaces determined by the winner of the first 1/3 and then whoever played better over the course of the entire season including that first 1/3? I get "first half v. second half winners", but not this.

It's the two season winners plus the top two from the overall season that didn't win either season. Of course, Minnesota's making the whole "two season winners" thing moot so far. :D

The split season's still weird, but making it a four-team playoff is better than spring vs fall when your spring season is nine games.

POTD 2013-08-22

It's the two season winners plus the top two from the overall season that didn't win either season. Of course, Minnesota's making the whole "two season winners" thing moot so far. :D

The split season's still weird, but making it a four-team playoff is better than spring vs fall when your spring season is nine games.

I have to agree with this. The fact that the Railhawks weren't able to compete for a championship after having the best record in the NASL was bull :censored:.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I have to agree with this. The fact that the Railhawks weren't able to compete for a championship after having the best record in the NASL was bull :censored:.

Granted, last year wasn't imbalanced but it was still stupid, yeah.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived