North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because it's traditional for soccer.

Soccer traditionally has had single elimination tournaments as well.

Though it's a bit weird that we are talking about being traditional when we are dealing with an American playoff system (that has 2 rounds that are single elimination including the final) which is far from traditional.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Because it's traditional for soccer.

Soccer traditionally has had single elimination tournaments as well.

Though it's a bit weird that we are talking about being traditional when we are dealing with an American playoff system (that has 2 rounds that are single elimination including the final) which is far from traditional.

I'm talking Champions league/traditional European tournaments. They have home and homes to make sure the best team advances.

Also it's a good thing for MLS to get more of its teams home games in the playoffs.

I'm not sure how this is convoluted? You play two games in the first two rounds — whoever scores more goals wins? If it's tied, whoever scored more in their road game wins? How is that difficult?

It's exactly the same as the Champions League once you get to the final eight.

6fQjS3M.png

The games:

(1) Minnesota v (4) Ft. Lauderdale

(2) San Antonio v (3) New York

The winners play for the Soccer Bowl on November 15; higher seed hosts.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Exactly. I don't know how quickly LAFC will be able to put its academy together, but I'd be shocked if it's in the next year or so, which means all those Chivas kids would already have moved on.

Okay, if it's before the expansion draft it'll be interesting to see what NYCFC and Orlando take, and how if at all that impacts their expansion draft selections.

In true Washington pro sports fashion, DC United goes out in the first round despite a fantastic season and actually winning today's match. As someone who went to a United-Red Bulls match this season at RFK and almost decided to attend today's playoff match, I'm pretty disappointed that United went out so early. I was really looking forward to a DC-LA final at RFK with La Barra Brava going absolutely nuts the whole time.

Looks like an Henry vs. Donovan (or Dempsey, I guess) final will have to suffice.

25yzwqg.png

In true Washington pro sports fashion, DC United goes out in the first round despite a fantastic season and actually winning today's match. As someone who went to a United-Red Bulls match this season at RFK and almost decided to attend today's playoff match, I'm pretty disappointed that United went out so early. I was really looking forward to a DC-LA final at RFK with La Barra Brava going absolutely nuts the whole time.

Looks like an Henry vs. Donovan (or Dempsey, I guess) final will have to suffice.

Yeah. This was really disappointing. I was really hoping for a finals loss vs. LA or Seattle, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Still really happy with how well the team played this year, hopefully they can get back and finish the job next year.

With the way they played that first half, I thought we wouldn't need extra time, but credit New York for coming out and getting that early goal in the second half, that really killed my hopes when we were just sitting there at 1-1, knowing we still needed 2 goals to tie up the aggregate.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Not to be hyperbolic or anything, but that call in stoppage time of the Minnesota United-Ft. Lauderdale playoff game tonight was probably the worst decision I've seen in a pro soccer match. Absolutely cannot believe they reversed that decision.

Couldn't agree more. I was at that game and was as flabbergasted as anyone when it happened. It's the first time I've ever seen an offsides call get reversed at any level of the sport - as though the officials were going out of their way to screw over the Loons. Ft. Lauderdale ended up advancing on PKs. It's the kind of result that, had it happened in certain other countries, you'd swear the fix was in.

Edit: Here are the game highlights. The Minnesota Screwjob occurs at about the 5:30 mark of the video. It's even worse than it appeared from my vantage point.

CCSLC signature.png

Not to be hyperbolic or anything, but that call in stoppage time of the Minnesota United-Ft. Lauderdale playoff game tonight was probably the worst decision I've seen in a pro soccer match. Absolutely cannot believe they reversed that decision.

Couldn't agree more. I was at that game and was as flabbergasted as anyone when it happened. It's the first time I've ever seen an offsides call get reversed at any level of the sport - as though the officials were going out of their way to screw over the Loons. Ft. Lauderdale ended up advancing on PKs. It's the kind of result that, had it happened in certain other countries, you'd swear the fix was in.

Edit: Here are the game highlights. The Minnesota Screwjob occurs at about the 5:30 mark of the video. It's even worse than it appeared from my vantage point.

That is disgraceful officiating even by NASL standards.

The only logical explanation for that is if the refs had money on FTL.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived