DScruggy729

North American Pro Soccer 2014

fifa-infografik.jpg

That makes sense. I actually became a Basketball fan after playing NBA 2k in 2006.

Makes sense to me, too. The game is an amazing commercial for the sport.

But if the US ranks #2 in sales of FIFA, then I wonder what country is number one?

Most likely Germany or the UK, large populations, large soccer followings, large economies, you get the deal. Although I'd put my money on the UK.

I'm pullin' for the Revs to win it for one simple reason...I don't want DC United to be displaced as MLS' most decorated team.

The thing with series played in two legs is that there is no satisfactory answer on ways to settle things in the event of an aggregate tie. Penalties are basically a combination of luck and guess work and away goals seems rather arbitrary. In a perfect world these things should be magically settled in extra-time before penalties but it they aren't.

Agreed. I don't think the away-goals tiebreaker is terribly "arbitrary", but even if it is penalty shots aren't any better.

Finding it hard to feel sorry for Seattle here. They've lived by the away-goals rule so far, while LA blew away their competition to advance this far. Besides, it's certainly not easier for the away team to score at CenturyLink than it is at the Home Depot Center. LA won this one, fair and square.

*StubHub Center ;)

Yeah, there isn't the best way to end a two-game series if it's tied, but I think for MLS's purposes, extra time + penalty kicks would work better. The away goals thing is implemented in Europe because all these elimination competitions happen within the course of their regular league seasons. They can't be having extra long games in the middle of the week because it would tire the teams, they have flights to catch, places to be, and effects everthing else. It's kind of the same reason we don't have continuous OT in the NHL's regular season.

However, with the MLS, these are the playoffs after the season. The games are once a week and there's nothing else going on. They could have extra time. They could have the penalty shootouts. I think it would appeal more to (or at least be understood more by) the casual American audience, and it's not like it's unheard of in world soccer. I mean, I understand it and I know of it's use around the world, but how many casual or new fans that went or watched last night and said, "Woo! Sounders won! MLS Cup, here we come! ...wait? They're not advancing? Soccer is dumb" ? I imagine a fair amount.

In my office in Seattle, at least a baker's dozen. The actual soccer fans in the office have had a hard time explaining the reasoning behind the rule. I knew all about the tie-breaking procedures going into the playoffs, thought they were dumb, and still think they're dumb.

Winning should be the highest priority, then the amount of points you scored regardless of where they happened, and if it's still tied then play until it's not tied. End of equation.

sudden death overtime

no no no no no no no god no

How is winning on "road goals" any better? I'm usually the one who tries my hardest to ignore narrative when it comes to sporting events, but the MLS needs something to draw in casual fans and help make casual fans more formal. A sudden death period between the two teams that have been hands down the best during the course of the season is a great way to do that. I can't even imagine how exciting that would've been and just how crazy CenturyLink would've been. Determining it on road goals just makes people say "Soccer is really dumb" and forget all about it.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the dumber the idea of doing a home-home seems. Especially when the final is a single elimination match. If I had it my way, they'd just eliminate playoffs altogether. The format seems to change every year as it is anyway, so it's not like it's anything close to traditional.

sudden death overtime

How is winning on "road goals" any better? I'm usually the one who tries my hardest to ignore narrative when it comes to sporting events, but the MLS needs something to draw in casual fans and help make casual fans more formal. A sudden death period between the two teams that have been hands down the best during the course of the season is a great way to do that. I can't even imagine how exciting that would've been and just how crazy CenturyLink would've been. Determining it on road goals just makes people say "Soccer is really dumb" and forget all about it.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the dumber the idea of doing a home-home seems. Especially when the final is a single elimination match. If I had it my way, they'd just eliminate playoffs altogether. The format seems to change every year as it is anyway, so it's not like it's anything close to traditional.

Golden goal was absolutely horrific and led to the same issue the NHL had before the introduction of the OT loss point — teams just sat back and played for penalties, not wanting to get hit on the counter.

Away goals isn't much better but at the very least it encourages teams to play an attacking brand of the sport away from home. Where golden goal makes the game duller and harder to watch, away goals — in theory — puts an emphasis on exciting soccer. The home team still needs to win that first leg most likely but the away team's also trying to score and not just escape with a 0-0 draw. It's not entirely horrible.

Home-and-home series completely make sense in soccer — plus it's... just how things are done in the sport.

And as far as "casual fans?" MLS tried that back when it first came around. PK shootouts at the end of every game, clock counting down rather than up, and substitution rules that didn't follow the rules of the sport.

And the league's a hell of a lot better off now than it was 15 years ago with all of the "casual fan" gimmicks.

sudden death overtime

Golden goal was absolutely horrific and led to the same issue the NHL had before the introduction of the OT loss point — teams just sat back and played for penalties, not wanting to get hit on the counter.

Away goals isn't much better but at the very least it encourages teams to play an attacking brand of the sport away from home. Where golden goal makes the game duller and harder to watch, away goals — in theory — puts an emphasis on exciting soccer. The home team still needs to win that first leg most likely but the away team's also trying to score and not just escape with a 0-0 draw. It's not entirely horrible.

Home-and-home series completely make sense in soccer — plus it's... just how things are done in the sport.

And as far as "casual fans?" MLS tried that back when it first came around. PK shootouts at the end of every game, clock counting down rather than up, and substitution rules that didn't follow the rules of the sport.

And the league's a hell of a lot better off now than it was 15 years ago with all of the "casual fan" gimmicks.

Yep. Golden Goal sucks. I'd take away goals over Golden Goal any day.

I know a lot people aren't fans of penalty kicks, and I don't blame them, they have a good reason in that a penalty kick has a lot more to do with dumb luck than anything else in a soccer game. But they're a lot better than Golden Goal, and is there really a better solution other than to keep playing the match? The latter obviously can't happen because, after 90 minutes you're out of energy, and if you play to 120 you're even worse. Fatigued players lead to more frequent injuries, plus it would piss the players off. If you can't decide a match after 120 minutes, then penalty kicks seem pretty justifiable to me.

What the MLS needs to do is just play an extra 30 minutes if the aggregate is tied, and then proceed to penalties if we can't find a winner. Away goals was just a dumb idea in the first place, I don't know how it's lasted this long and should be abolished immediately.

Away goals may be dumb, but it's still better than penalty kicks. I think penalty kicks should be avoided at all costs and an unlimited sudden death is just unrealistic. Most people here, myself included, follow football where the flip of a coin is a huge deciding factor in determining the overtime winner. Some sports run into problems when trying to find a suitable overtime and soccer is one of those.

I think an extra period (plus PK) in the second leg is an appropriate advantage for the higher seed. It gives them 30 additional minutes at home if there's an aggregate tie at the end of 90. As it is, it feels like the current away goals rule gives an advantage to the lower seed, as they play first at home, and then know exactly what they need to do in the second leg, which could include slowing down the game significantly like LA did last night after they scored.

Aggregate is a foreign concept to the US, but an aggregate tie loss following a win is a really dumb way to lose a series.

Though in a perfect world, I'd do single elimination, with higher seeds hosting. The season is your opportunity to get better playoff positioning; creating a neutral setting for all series except the opening knockout and the MLS Cup final is dumb.

What the MLS needs to do is just play an extra 30 minutes if the aggregate is tied, and then proceed to penalties if we can't find a winner. Away goals was just a dumb idea in the first place; I don't know how it's lasted this long and should be abolished immediately.

Umm...these are the first MLS Cup Playoffs with the away-goals rule in tact. Major League Soccer did have a straight, two-game aggregate series for its postseason (if tied, go to OT then to PKs) up until last year, when constituents representing the New York Red Bulls (Supporter's Shield winners) complained about not having away-goals in their series against Houston. Hence, the league made a change for 2014, and here we are with the away-goals, aggregate playoffs format...and now we have people in total disgust with the change made last year.

Finding it hard to feel sorry for Seattle here. They've lived by the away-goals rule so far, while LA blew away their competition to advance this far. Besides, it's certainly not easier for the away team to score at CenturyLink than it is at the Home Depot Center. LA won this one, fair and square.

*StubHub Center ;)

Meh...well...it's been over a year since the name change, and I still call the stadium the "Home Depot Center" or "HDC." I'm not fond of stadium naming rights going to websites.

Yeah, this.

What the MLS needs to do is just play an extra 30 minutes if the aggregate is tied, and then proceed to penalties if we can't find a winner. Away goals was just a dumb idea in the first place; I don't know how it's lasted this long and should be abolished immediately.

Umm...these are the first MLS Cup Playoffs with the away-goals rule in tact. Major League Soccer did have a straight, two-game aggregate series for its postseason (if tied, go to OT then to PKs) up until last year, when constituents representing the New York Red Bulls (Supporter's Shield winners) complained about not having away-goals in their series against Houston. Hence, the league made a change for 2014, and here we are with the away-goals, aggregate playoffs format...and now we have people in total disgust with the change made last year.

*StubHub Center ;)

Meh...well...it's been over a year since the name change, and I still call the stadium the "Home Depot Center" or "HDC." I'm not fond of stadium naming rights going to websites.

That is the last straw with me an the Red Bulls, I liked them because they play in New Jersey, I liked the name Metrostars hate the Red Bull pull crap hate the uniforms. Last year rthey choked and whined and caused this mess :censored: them. I may still be only a casual MLS fan but I now am switching my alegence to NYC FC.

Well, I don't want to talk anybody out of supporting the city's club, you may get the MeroStars name back. Red Bull is rumored to be fielding offers for the club, stadium, everything. And there's no way they'd not switch back - a second re-branding would drive away the bulk of their fanbase.

Well, I don't want to talk anybody out of supporting the city's club, you may get the MeroStars name back. Red Bull is rumored to be fielding offers for the club, stadium, everything. And there's no way they'd not switch back - a second re-branding would drive away the bulk of their fanbase.

I think rebranding away from Red Bull would actually get them fans no matter but I do think it would be for the best if they rebranded it as some sort of tie in to the Metro identity.

I don't really see the need to have home-and-away elimination games in MLS. I mean, they make sense in the Champions League because games are decided by draws and we don't have an objective way to know who the best team are. But the MLS has playoffs that come after a regular season, so it would give more meaning to the regular season if at the end of the season teams would be battling for home field advantage.

Now for the OT rules in soccer, I think that what we have right now is the best of all possible systems (Pangloss docet). Golden goal was awful, teams sat back and I still have some terrible memories about conceding a last-gasp equalizer and then conceding a golden goal right after that. PKs aren't just luck, they're also about performance under pressure, game theory, patience, and of course execution. No player can be expected to play at a high level after two hours of running, so PKs are necessary. They also produce an incredible level of suspense. The away goal rule. while not perfect, does usually encourage attacking soccer. Could you imagine a team down to ten men down 1-0 after winning at home 2-1? They would bunker down to embarrassing levels, waiting for PK

Not watching, but rooting for the Revolution (even though the Jermaine Jones pickup was totally bogus). The MLS needs so much to have more than one team win titles every year. Parity isn't awesome, but running titles through LA each year is a good way to make people not care.

Also, extra time. What a concept!

Ugh. I've been super high on MLS this season, but the different-rules-depending-on-the-round playoffs have dulled the shine a bit for me. Figure your :censored: out, MLS. Don't be your own worst enemy.

Revs gonna Rev. And yet another MLS Cup overtime loss for New England. The Buffalo Bills of Major League Soccer, indeed.

Congratulations Galaxy, the 2014 MLS Cup champions. Five-time cup winners now.

God almighty Revs, I start to support you guys during the playoffs and then you let me down.

Anyway, congrats to the Galaxy and to Landon Donovan on a fantastic career.

I wish Landon could have scored but at least he is going out on a high.