North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

I don't think there's any problem with individual leagues/countries tailoring certain things to suit - determining a champion through a play-off system seems daft to me but that's just not how we do things here (except for rugby league, but hey). If that's how the US prefers things, go for it.

On the other issue of supporting teams who are unlikely to win a title, so be it. It's fair to say the majority of people in the UK support teams for whom a major trophy is a rarity if not an outright pipe dream. We don't support a club due to an anticipation of success, we do so because it's our local club, or through family, or other personal reasons.

I support a club which has won nothing in its 110 years, indeed we only debuted in the top flight five years ago. If we win our Cup tie this Sunday we'll be into the semi-finals for only the second time in our history - the last time was back in 1930, that's how elusive 'success' is for us. But I'd rather support a club that has resonance with me rather than a Manchester United/City type because I expect to see them win stuff.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think another big difference between US and European sports culture is that a lot of teams over here were formed in the amateur days by church groups, schools, unions/factory workers etc. Because of this you get a lot of rivalries on different levels such as the famous one of Celtic and Rangers which go way deeper than just supporting your local team.

For this reason, a lot of people will accept supporting a team with no hope of winning (the overall championship title) as it is linked heavily with their identity and ancestry/religion and so feel that it is a part of who they are and vice versa.

Sometimes just beating your rivals overall and gaining bragging rights for that year can determine a successful season. Just a DIFFERENT way of doing things, not definitively better or worse.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

I don't think there's any problem with individual leagues/countries tailoring certain things to suit - determining a champion through a play-off system seems daft to me but that's just not how we do things here (except for rugby league, but hey). If that's how the US prefers things, go for it.

On the other issue of supporting teams who are unlikely to win a title, so be it. It's fair to say the majority of people in the UK support teams for whom a major trophy is a rarity if not an outright pipe dream. We don't support a club due to an anticipation of success, we do so because it's our local club, or through family, or other personal reasons.

I support a club which has won nothing in its 110 years, indeed we only debuted in the top flight five years ago. If we win our Cup tie this Sunday we'll be into the semi-finals for only the second time in our history - the last time was back in 1930, that's how elusive 'success' is for us. But I'd rather support a club that has resonance with me rather than a Manchester United/City type because I expect to see them win stuff.

I support the club I do because of my grandfather supporting the club post World War II. It's because of hearing the stories of players, managers and matches of the past. Blood is thicker than silver.

Admittedly I don't watch many Crew games. I probably saw 3 last season.

BUT THIS IS SO STUPID

The new Crew logo should feature a test pattern.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The problem with relegation is a major market like Toronto with a soccer specific stadium, would never see the MLS again. Toronto FC is so bad they would be relegated to a Pee Wee league.

You obviously haven't been paying attention to the MLS offseason.

Toronto FC pulled off monster moves and are now one of the better teams in the league.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

BUT THIS IS SO STUPID

As a fan whose teams signed contracts of 20+ years with Time Warner Cable over the last two years, I feel your pain Crew fans.

It's, sadly, just another case of sports franchises migrating from publicly-financed stadiums to cable-exclusive contracts to milk their taxpayer constituents to the terms of billions.

BUT THIS IS SO STUPID

Wow! Could it be any harder for state wide Crew supporters to watch their club? Gotta love how club boards don't listen to their supporters. They are the ones that pay the wages and bills!!!

The problem with relegation is a major market like Toronto with a soccer specific stadium, would never see the MLS again. Toronto FC is so bad they would be relegated to a Pee Wee league.

Toronto FC pulled off monster moves and are now one of the better teams in the league.

I'm sorry but just because they signed good players on paper in the off season, doesn't mean they will gel on the pitch and take the league by storm. It's the usual TFC off-season moves that will probably make them fall flat on their face. They'll be the Man Utd of MLS this season :P

I'm sorry but just because they signed good players on paper in the off season, doesn't mean they will gel on the pitch and take the league by storm. It's the usual TFC off-season moves that will probably make them fall flat on their face. They'll be the Man Utd of MLS this season :P

TFC hasn't really made many moves of this caliber in their short history. These aren't the usual TFC moves.

Maybe TFC won't win the title but I am predicting them to be one of the stronger teams in the league and will definitely be an improvement from their team last year.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Meanwhile, in Columbus, the Crew have deliberately and inexplicably blacked out their games (even away games) for any fans in a 75-mile radius who for some strange reason won't give money to Time Warner Cable (or who refuse to move into a TWC area): http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/march/columbus-crew-fans-revolt-against-team-s-new-television-deal.html

Radius.jpg

Meanwhile, in Columbus, the Crew have deliberately and inexplicably blacked out their games (even away games) for any fans in a 75-mile radius who for some strange reason won't give money to Time Warner Cable (or who refuse to move into a TWC area): http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/march/columbus-crew-fans-revolt-against-team-s-new-television-deal.html

Radius.jpg

Meanwhile, you haven't been reading upthread :)

Also, this is a good defense of MLS, after a hackjob from Deadspin said MLS sucks because it's not EPL or La Liga.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Also, this is a good defense of MLS, after a hackjob from Deadspin said MLS sucks because it's not EPL or La Liga.

I read both of those today, and what got me were Warshaw's own words:

The truth is, MLS is a crazy, messed-up league. I played in a locker room where 10 guys didn't speak English. (I learned Spanish quicker than my friends who studied the language for seven years.) The highest-paid player on a team can make upwards of $5 million. The guy in the locker next-door can make $32,000. Guess who is buying the beers? A third of the players live on unguaranteed contracts, most of whom make around $50k a year to begin with. None of them are calling it early retirement if they get released.

While January had the news of a possible new English-language TV deal which may bring up to $70M/year to the league (about $3M/team), the fact is they are in the final year of the CBA and that has somewhat gone under the radar so far in this thread.

Salary information can be seen HERE and HERE.

TFC hasn't really made many moves of this caliber in their short history. These aren't the usual TFC moves.

Maybe TFC won't win the title but I am predicting them to be one of the stronger teams in the league and will definitely be an improvement from their team last year.

I'm a loyal (to a fault) to TFC, they get my money for half-season tickets every year (if living in the GTA didn't cost so much it would be full seasons) but I'll say it again and again.

TFC WILL make the playoffs this year. The signings will make that happen. (finally)

They WON'T win the MLS cup. Not enough depth on this squad.

But the truth is, at least casually knowing a fair amount of people who continue to be regulars at the games, this will be enough for the fans.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Radius.jpg

Meanwhile, you haven't been reading upthread :)

Whoops. Didn't follow that link, and there's no concrete indication as to what it contained. Yeah, that's the ticket.

And hey, at least I brought a graphic to the party. :P

From the hackjob

top-down league ownership structure that neuters real competition

*proceeds to talk up La Liga*

horse-i-cant_zpse4869007.gif

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived