rvrdgsfn

So can't wait for the flag to drop on the 2014 F1 season. Vettel is going to find it hard for his 5th straight F1 title with a lot of the teams playing major catchup in the off season with testing and production. I have to say I'm a fan of the new Mercedes livery and chassis... A thing of beauty...

Let's go Australian GP!

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friendly reminder folks, 12 hours of Sebring is this coming Saturday and as Gooner mentioned, Melbourne is next Sunday. This should be an interesting Formula 1 season. Last but certainly not least in 3 weeks, IndyCar starts back up in St. Pete.

baltimoreravens.png

I was wondering if anyone is in a fantasy racing league (IndyCar, F1, NASCAR)? Maybe we should start a fantasy F1 league for the upcoming season...I know it's short notice but who's in?

Who does everyone expect to get pole and win Australian GP? I see Hamilton getting the pole and Button pulling out a last lap victory.

Big news!!!! :D

http://racer.com/index.php/indycar/item/101885-verizon-named-entitlement-sponsor-of-indycar-series

IndyCar announced today a multi-year entitlement agreement with Verizon that will see North America's premier open-wheel racing championship named the Verizon IndyCar Series.

"Verizon is the perfect partner for us to showcase the high level of innovation and technology that is inherent in our sport," said Mark Miles, CEO, Hulman & Co., the parent of IndyCar and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "IndyCar will provide a large audience of tech-savvy consumers who are eager for the latest technology to further enhance their experience."

"Verizon's commitment to IndyCar demonstrates its belief in the direction of our sport and further corroborates our long-term goals."

The collaboration includes significant network coverage upgrades to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as part of its Project 100; short- and long-term technology enhancements to IndyCar Race Control; the addition of pit lane monitors and enhancing connectivity for spectators at each domestic race venue.

This makes me so happy! Hopefully this means now Indycar can get the respect it deserves!!!!

Last but not least, Melbourne & Sebring this weekend folks, Open Wheel is back on track!

baltimoreravens.png

Qualifying for the Aussie GP was insane. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but the rain came and messed everything up, and there were tons of surprises.

I have to agree with Mike...AUS GP qualifying was immense! What a way to start the new era of F1 with 1.6L engines and the 2014 season. Can't wait for the race.... I have always been a fan of Albert Park, beautiful scenery and tactical track.

Results from the Australian GP:

1. Nico Rosberg

2. Daniel Ricciardo

3. Kevin Magnussen

4. Jenson Button

5. Fernando Alonso

6. Valtteri Bottas

7. Nico Hulkenberg

8. Kimi Raikkonen

9. Jean-Eric Vergne

10. Daniil Kvyat

Results from the 12 Hours of Sebring:

Class Winners

P: #01 Ford (Scott Pruett, Memo Rojas, Marino Franchitti

PC: #54 (Colin Braun, John Bennett, James Gue)

GTLM: #912 Porsche (Patrick Long, Michael Christensen, Jorg Bergmeister)

GTD: #44 Porsche (Andy Lally, John Potter, Marco Seefried)

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

Talk it about when it rains for Red Bull. First Vettel now this. I wouldn't count Red Bull out yet but in all honesty, they can't be happy with this. Although, it was good to see McLaren back on the podium. Vettel wasn't too happy either when Kyvat broke Vettel's record of the youngest driver to score a point in F1, so one record of Das Wunderkid is gone. So many more to go... What a day for Rosberg & Magnussen though.

I also wanted to share this from the 12 hours despite all the crashes that happened, there was a video of the Porsche winning 12 hours of Sebring during the pitstop that helped them win it all.

baltimoreravens.png

Results from the Australian GP:

1. Nico Rosberg

2. Daniel Ricciardo

3. Kevin Magnussen

4. Jenson Button

5. Fernando Alonso

6. Valtteri Bottas

7. Nico Hulkenberg

8. Kimi Raikkonen

9. Jean-Eric Vergne

10. Daniil Kvyat

Results from the 12 Hours of Sebring

Class Winners

P: #01 Ford (Scott Pruett, Memo Rojas, Marino Franchitti

PC: #54 (Colin Braun, John Bennett, James Gue)

GTLM: #912 Porsche (Patrick Long, Michael Christensen, Jorg Bergmeister)

GTD: #44 Porsche (Andy Lally, John Potter, Marco Seefried)

All I can say is wow. Red Bull not in the top 10 (after disqualification) and Rosberg with a opening round win. This world championship is going to be huge and a change from the norm within the last 4 years.

No shocker here...

http://grandprix247.com/2014/03/17/red-bull-yet-to-appeal-ricciardo-disqualification/

Red Bull is yet to formally appeal the FIA stewards’ decision to disqualify Daniel Ricciardo from the second place in the Australian Grand Prix.

The Aussie driver was thrown out of the results in Melbourne, due to irregularities with his Red Bull car’s fuel flow data and improper use of the FIA-supplied sensor.

The team said late on Sunday that an appeal will be lodged. The Australian news agency AAP quoted an FIA source as saying that Red Bull has served notice of the intention to appeal, but that an actual, formal appeal is yet to be lodged.

“It is understood Red Bull now has 96 hours to formally table their appeal,” the report added.

baltimoreravens.png

No shocker here...

http://grandprix247.com/2014/03/17/red-bull-yet-to-appeal-ricciardo-disqualification/

Red Bull is yet to formally appeal the FIA stewards’ decision to disqualify Daniel Ricciardo from the second place in the Australian Grand Prix.

The Aussie driver was thrown out of the results in Melbourne, due to irregularities with his Red Bull car’s fuel flow data and improper use of the FIA-supplied sensor.

The team said late on Sunday that an appeal will be lodged. The Australian news agency AAP quoted an FIA source as saying that Red Bull has served notice of the intention to appeal, but that an actual, formal appeal is yet to be lodged.

“It is understood Red Bull now has 96 hours to formally table their appeal,” the report added.

I see Red Bull filling an appeal within 24 hrs after they get enough data from the sensor they used on Friday practice and were told by the stewards to use the same defective sensor during the race. This is my the first time this fuel flow sensor has been the news. Thus sensor has been a problem with other teams during pre-season testing showing irregular flow rates, notably higher that 100 kg.

So ex-FOA supremo Eccelstone has complained how quiet the Australian GP with the new 1.6L turbocharged V6 engines. What did everyone think after watching the race?

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12515/9219811/bernie-ecclestone-horrified-by-lack-of-sound-from-the-2014-f1-cars-at-australian-gp

Eccelstone said he's hoping in the next few races this noise issue or lack of noise will be fixed... Ouch! I have always loved the absolute great sound of F1 cars racing around circuits. I have seen the Canadian GP race twice in my life and the sound of the engines reverberate throughout your entire body while you're at the track.

I actually prefer the quieter engines. You get to hear a lot of things more clearly - like tyre squeals under lockups - but more importantly the driver/team radio communications. The deeper tone of the engines is definitely something you need to become accustomed to over a period of time but that will happen.

Also worth mentioning is the hearing of all the drivers and pit crews won't get as damaged due to the lower decibels. Just watch any interview with Adrian Newey, Jackie Stewart or even Bernie and you will notice that their hearing has been affected over time.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

You have a point with the long term affects with drivers and pit crews with respect to hearing problems. I did notice that team radio communications were alot easier to understand. But I think this FOA quieter engine issue has to do with the ambiance of the race. But in the end it's Bernie :P

So in honor and retrospective view of the great Aryton Senna, March 21's Google Doodle is to celebrate what would have been his 54th birthday. What an amazing driver he was. By far one the greatest driver in F1 history because how he drove the car and how he saw the track laid out in front of him at every second. He was a rare driver, both in the car and in front of the camera.

Some IndyCar news...

New points...

http://racer.com/index.php/indycar/item/102062-indycar-new-points-system-for-2014-verizon-indycar-series

The base points structure remains unchanged, the following are enhancements:

• Double points awarded for 500-mile events at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Pocono Raceway and Auto Club Speedway.

Brazil could return, but not Sao Paulo...

http://racer.com/index.php/latest-stories/item/102090-indycar-renewed-brazilian-race-under-consideration-for-2015

IndyCar confirmed that it is exploring a return to Brazil and is currently in discussions with event organizers in the capital city of Brasilia regarding a Verizon IndyCar Series race in 2015.

"Brazil has a real history in Indy car racing and we would like to re-establish a championship race there as early as 2015," said Mark Miles, CEO of Hulman & Co. "We are engaged in on-going discussions toward this goal and hope suitable arrangements can be finalized soon.

Last but not least with V8, the Captain may get involved....

http://racer.com/index.php/latest-stories/item/102097-penske-pondering-v8-supercar-program

Penske Racing is considering an expansion into the Australia-based V8 Supercars series, and has targeted former V8 series star turned NASCAR racer Marcos Ambrose as a potential driver.

Part of the motivation for such a move could come from the fact that team owner and entrepreneur Roger Penske recently bought Australian trucking company Western Star trucks, adding to his U.S. truck fleet business. Team boss Tim Cindric attended last December's V8 Supercar Sydney 500 and held talks with series officials while there.

"Roger has always had racing as part of his business plans. He has been out here a couple of times," Cindric told Australia's CarsGuide.com. "We want to understand it and then work out how to get involved.''

baltimoreravens.png

Bump for some potential good or bad news....

Could we have an American team???

http://racer.com/index.php/f1/item/102121-american-f1-team-could-get-fia-green-light-this-week

The waiting game might be ending soon for potential Formula 1 team owner Gene Haas.

Haas, who says he has satisfied all requests from the FIA, could have an answer this week as to whether he will receive an F1 license or not.

"It's not like any individual makes a decision there. They get together in a group and they look at the package and they make their decision, but ultimately I think it has to go to Mr. Ecclestone [bernie, president and CEO of Formula One Management]."

One of those "agendas" is a minimum of a two-year commitment to F1. Ecclestone isn't looking for an organization that simply wants to dip its toe in the water or run a partial season. Haas has read the stories that insist Formula 1 wants Haas Formula, the suggested name for the his team, or one of the other parties interested in becoming a prospective F1 operation, to salvage an existing entity.

First order of business if he gets in... Hire Alex Rossi... Seriously...

Red Bull isn't too happy...

http://grandprix247.com/2014/03/24/mateschitz-from-our-perspective-there-is-a-clear-limit-to-what-we-can-accept/

Red Bull billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz has warned that his energy drinks company is not indefinitely committed to Formula 1, and has declared that they have limits to what is acceptable. The Austrian billionaire’s comments come as his premier Formula 1 team, reigning world champions Red Bull, challenge the governing FIA over Daniel Ricciardo’s disqualification in Melbourne over the fuel flow sensor saga.

“The fact is that the federation’s sensor has given inaccurate values since the beginning of the (winter) tests,” Mateschitz, who rarely gives interviews, told the Vienna daily Kurier.

“We can prove that we were within the limits” in Australia, he added. Mateschitz has said before that Red Bull is prepared to leave Formula 1 if the sport no longer gives the company the sort of economic value it is seeking. Now, he clarified: “The question is not so much about whether it makes economic sense, but more to do with the sporting value, political influence and the like.

I wonder how big of a blow it would be if Red Bull pulled out?

baltimoreravens.png

Funny you mention V.A.G. about this because basically when Porsche was programing their LeMans program, if was either that or F1. Considering all thw problems, they didn't want to go back in. Volkswagen is the one auto group F1 wishes they could get aboard, considering its the biggest automotive group in the world, but basically they won't be in till the earliest 2108 according to reports...

Speaking of V.A.G. Audi had something to show....

audi_motorsport-140325-1033.jpg

baltimoreravens.png

Archived