Sign in to follow this  
johnnysama

Your first cap....

Same as the "First jersey" thread, but with caps this time.

Mine was an adjustable New York Yankees cap at age 6. I only started collecting fitteds in 2005. :D

My 6-year-old self wasn't quite the baseball fan, but now that I'm older, I wouldn't be caught DEAD wearing Yankees related apparel.

I probably had 50-100 different hats throughout the entirety of my childhood, but the one "first cap" I remember was my first fitted New Era MLB hat. Baltimore Orioles with the more realistic bird logo. Size 7 5/8.

The first cap I can remember was a blue with orange brim Knicks SnapBack cap. I loved that thing until it was stolen one day at school sometime during recess. Since then, I've had a ton of similar fitted Knicks caps, but for awhile a regular straightforward blue with orange brim with just the primary logo cap was really hard to find on account of their irrelevance during the '00s.

This is the first hat that i remember getting and had for awhile and would wear everywhere until it got too sweat stained and tattered131794774_amazoncom-jeff-gordon-24-dupon

I had heaps as a kid. The first one I remember was a White Sox flexfit. I have no idea how or where I got it.

For so long I didn't want to buy a fitted because I was one of those idiots who "didn't want a flatbill cap". What changed that was the Australian Rules club I support releasing this 59fifty:

newerafitted.jpg

I had to have it and it's the best cap i've ever owned. Luckily I quickly found out the bill can be bent, and now I don't want to wear anything that isn't a 59fifty :D. I have since gotten an Angels onfield 59fifty from ebay and i'm always on the hunt for good caps.

I have about 85 hats total, I only wear about 10 of them. The rest are from my childhood. The first cap I recall buying with my own money was a 59fifty Tampa Bay Rays cap when they came out with their new navy blue/baby blue set back in '08

Mine was a Chicago Cubs one I got a s a kid--because it was what they had.

then I had a GIants one after that.

I have about 85 hats total, I only wear about 10 of them. The rest are from my childhood. The first cap I recall buying with my own money was a 59fifty Tampa Bay Rays cap when they came out with their new navy blue/baby blue set back in '08

That's close to the same number I have, coincidentally; 86 for me.

That's close to the same number I have, coincidentally; 86 for me.

I counted this summer and I had 82. Since then, I know I've gotten at least 3 so I gave it an estimate. I really need to lose a lot of 'em haha

First cap I remember owning was a mesh backed snap back EXPO 86 cap from the Exposition in 1986 in Vancouver. My first sports team cap was a fitted 1987 A's cap back when they only had the one.

First hat I bought (not gifted or from sports team) was from my first visit to Autzen. Sophomore year of HS. Yellow FlexFit Hat with Green O.

Does anyone remember what this style is called? They were big for a year or two in the 90's. My first hat was the Sabres goat head version of this. It's still floating around somewhere... partially bleached, worn, holey, floppy and with a replaced snapback, but still around somewhere.

$T2eC16V,!ykFIeqoCv5kBSPMcR8!vg~~60_57.J

Royal blue Oilers hat with red mesh side panels and white piping when I was 6.

One of those hats with 'Maple Leafs Hockey' on it.

5950 question:

What do you guys usually do if your cap size is between two sizes? I tried out 5950s and found 7 3/8 too tight and 7 1/2 too loose in some places. That's probably the reason I prefer flexfit hats.

5950 question:

What do you guys usually do if your cap size is between two sizes? I tried out 5950s and found 7 3/8 too tight and 7 1/2 too loose in some places. That's probably the reason I prefer flexfit hats.

Cut your hair or grow it out. Or try multiple hats in the same size and style at the store. I know people have said there is variation between hats.

5950 question:

id get the smaller one and stretch it out, I've done both and am disappointed in the one i bought that was a larger size, meanwhile the smaller one fits perfectly now that I've worn it a lot

My first cap looked just like this, except it was made of felt.

A013_1_20111216_808802.jpg

My first fitted cap I got in 2011 in Copperstown for my birthday.

e-Teal-Jet-Black-Retro-New-Era-Fitted-Ca

Personally, the hat looks better in real life as a flat bill(which I normally dislike), but now I wear it curved, because it doesn't fit my head flat billed.

Couldn't tell you where it came from, but the first cap I remember having as a kid looked a lot like this.

$_58.JPG

My first fitted was a 5950 version of this:

PICT2252.jpg

My first hat was an Expos pinwheel hat, made of cheap polyester and mesh that I had found at the local thrift store in 2003. I got it because that's when the rumblings of the Expos moving to Northern Virginia or DC really started to happen, and I figured it would be a good luck charm for getting the team.

As for my first fitted, that was two years later for my birthday. A navy blue Nationals road authentic 59Fifty, size 7 5/8. I didn't bend the brim because my favorite player was Chad Cordero, the Nats' reliever, and he kept his bills as flat as a 2X4.

My first ever cap was an Oakland Athletics home version of this cap.

null_zps4d891ad4.jpg

It was an old polyester Sports Specialties cap with the MLB batter man logo on the right side of the cap rather than the back. I've yet to see another cap like it in real life, and it took a bit of research with help from the guys over at the New Era Cap Talk forums to figure out what it was.

I wore the hell outta that cap till the bill literally fell apart. Even went dumpster diving for it once or twice. My grandmother got so sick of me wearing that old filthy thing, she actually took me to the mall to get a new one. I got the same cap, only the New Era version :)