Chris Kluwe: "Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot"

CS85

Wasn't trying to deflect anything...was only trying to illustrate how some people get a pass and some don't. Period. Don't know how much more clear it can be expressed. If you don't get it, sorry.

What's sad is that you're doing the same thing with me as you are with Oprah: taking your own self-serving interpretation out of plainly expressed points.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My own self-serving interpretation? Self-serving in what way, exactly?

Words have meanings. The words she said mean a certain thing. And all they mean is "old racists need to go away." If you're not an old racist there's nothing to be offended by. Those words wouldn't mean anything different if she forced them out through gritted teeth or if she said them in the voice of Bozo the Clown.

As for what point you're trying to illustrate? I get what you're trying to do, but that's undermined by the example you've chosen to use. If Oprah had said the southern United States is full of people who need to die for racial progress to be made and everyone gave her a pass, then yes, you would have a point. She didn't say that though. Or anything comparable to what Robertson said or what Priefer allegedly said. So your point falls flat.

Look, this is going nowhere. You act like she said something vague and I chose to read something into it to make a point but it's the exact opposite. She was very specific. I saw the interview segment and expected her to clarify in that regard, to say, "...at least those who still have those views..." or some such - which, btw, would still mean she's wishing death on people who don't share her views - but she didn't. She didn't issue a clafifying statement or apology (to my knowledge) or anything else so she shouldn't get a favorable interpretation.

Another example of what I'm talking about is a 2007 Atlanta newspaper article (the main paper, not some marginal rag) that described the struggle some local students were having in choosing who to vote for in the Democratic primary. They were black women and didn't know whether to vote for Obama for his race or Hillary for her gender. All without realizing that by using those criteria, they were practicing the same racism and genderism that had be overcome for people like Obama and Hillary to run in the first place! (Here's a crazy idea: how about voting for the best-qualified candidate?)

That's the hypocrisy I'm talking about. It just so happens that it was dripping in irony in that particular case.

Yes. Minorities can be prejudiced too. It's true.

Yes. This is deflecting.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Agreed, Ice_Cap - there are two conversations here. One is whether Klewe was cut because of his activism, and the other whether the Vikings harbor at least one homophobic bigot.

As to the second, I really hope not. But Klewe's accusation is serious enough that a full investigation has to be made.

As to the first, I'm quite sure that his activism contributed to the decision to drop him. Corporations as a whole don't appreciate activist employees, and given their first chance to cut him I'm sure they took it. But I don't have a problem with it; it's well within their rights. Just as A&E were will within their rights to suspend (or sadly, not) their homophobic pedophile when his words surfaced.

Huh? I must've missed that part.
Phil Robertson has advocated that men should marry girls at the age of 15.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/31/duck-dynasty-star-phil-robertson_n_4522254.html

Maybe that doesn't make him a pedophile using the clinical definition of the term, but it almost certainly makes him one if we're using the legal definition.

It makes him really, really old-fashioned (which is shown in his other views as well), but it really doesn't put him in the same category as Sandusky.

OK we'll go with "lolicon" and move on.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just to throw this out there, but if anyone actually watched the video of Phil giving that speech, it was pretty obvious that that portion was meant to be humorous. Basically any husband/wife humor you'd see anywhere. If you took it seriously, well, that's your fault. Not to mention he wasn't even advocating older men, like 30's and 40's and on up, to marry teenagers, so the whole "pedophile" designation is very out of line. But then again, he's been designated a bigot for having a different opinion, one that I personally disagree with, but also said homosexuals should still be treated with love and respect regardless. Kind of a rather tolerable position from someone from that generation in the deep south. Yeah, what a bastard. Oprah says people should die, but that's cool.

Just to throw this out there, but if anyone actually watched the video of Phil giving that speech, it was pretty obvious that that portion was meant to be humorous. Basically any husband/wife humor you'd see anywhere. If you took it seriously, well, that's your fault. Not to mention he wasn't even advocating older men, like 30's and 40's and on up, to marry teenagers, so the whole "pedophile" designation is very out of line. But then again, he's been designated a bigot for having a different opinion, one that I personally disagree with, but also said homosexuals should still be treated with love and respect regardless. Kind of a rather tolerable position from someone from that generation in the deep south. Yeah, what a bastard. Oprah says people should die, but that's cool.

Did you just stereotype southerners?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Everyone else is. Suddenly it's wrong when it's used as a point against the other viewpoint? Which way do you guys want it?

"Sure he set a burning cross on their front lawn, but it was made of scented wood that left a pleasant aroma as it burned."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

"Sure he set a burning cross on their front lawn, but it was made of scented wood that left a pleasant aroma as it burned."

What's the point of that? You automatically assuming he did that and we must accept your word as the truth?

He compared homosexuality with bestiality, claimed all homosexuals were deceivers and liars, and claimed blacks were better off under legalized segregation.

His "I love everybody man!" statement doesn't make his earlier remarks any less offensive.

Everyone else is. Suddenly it's wrong when it's used as a point against the other viewpoint? Which way do you guys want it?

That was more of a joke than a shot. I did not have any problem with the way you made that point. But I do find it funny that this thread is about "but, but, Oprah said something politically incorrect." And that's all she did. She does not like racists and she said something blunt/insensitive about her hope for improvement after an older generation dies off (which is inevitable).

Do we really need, every time there is an instance of bigotry to immediately dive into, "but this black person is a jerk" or "we can't even celebrate Christmas anymore."

If there are double standards out there, then maybe they are worth talking about. If you have a problem with what Oprah said**, than maybe it's worth talking about (though an internet message board has proven not to be the place), but this thread is about what Priefer allegedly said. Is it ever OK to just say "if he said it, he's an ass?" Ever? Or do we always have to say "if he said it he's an ass, but so are all these other people." I really don't understand the motivation.

It's like someone starting a thread about how much he likes chocolate and someone else saying "Yeah well Crab Legs are AWESOME and your love of chocolate is negated by the awesomeness of crab legs because of reasons."

**And if you do have a problem with what she said, fine, but I hope you don't run around complaining about political correctness. If "everyone is just too sensitive nowadays" about "Redskins", then that should certainly hold true here.

POTD (Shared)

@ OnWis97, double standards is all I was talking about. Not defending the duck guy, not saying the Vikes coach's comments shouldn't be investigated. It's not deflection to point out double standards but it sure is inconvenient for those who practice them.

To the thread topic, I don't watch that show and I haven't read anything but media reports of Robertson's comments. What I've seen of them is reprehensible. If the Vikes coach said what he said, it's reprehensible - if. What I can't understand is why no one can just admit that so is what Oprah said and so was the Spelman students' approach to evaluating candidates (though Ice Cap gets credit on that one).

It's not deflection, it's calling people to account when they practice selective outrage.

Another example...Sarah Palin (ugh) made numerous ridiculous comments while running for VP. Every major news outlet reported them. But...yes or no...did you know that Joe Biden did the same thing? That's why conservatives feel there's media bias.

The New York Times said nothing until called out by readers (below) and even then rationalized their choice to belittle Palin while giving good ol' Joe a pass:

===

Say What?: Joe Biden, FDR & the TV

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

In response to our post about Sarah Palin’s interview with Katie Couric, several readers have asked why we have not posted a clip of Joe Biden’s recent gaffe about FDR.

Now, by popular demand . . .

In his own interview with Ms. Couric, Mr. Biden said: “When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn’t just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, ‘Look, here’s what happened.’”

There are, of course, a few historical inaccuracies there. First, Herbert Hoover was president when the stock market crashed, in 1929. Roosevelt did not take office until March of 1933.

When he did, Roosevelt communicated to the people over radio — not television.

Mr. Biden has more than his share of gaffes, but they are of the sort that most politicians make at some time. Mr. Biden has shown in decades of public life, and countless interviews, press conferences, and unscripted public statements, a depth of understanding of foreign and domestic issues. That is something Gov. Palin has yet to demonstrate.

===

Riiiiiight.

While we're at it, shall we discuss Biden's creepy habit of trying to feel up every woman he meets? If he was in corporate America he'd be a frequent flier in HR.

You don't think Biden's many gaffes have been covered? Sometimes I'm not sure we live on the same planet.

Do we really need, every time there is an instance of bigotry to immediately dive into, "but this black person is a jerk" or "we can't even celebrate Christmas anymore."

Since that's the only way to defend these people, yes. We apparently do.

You don't think Biden's many gaffes have been covered? Sometimes I'm not sure we live on the same planet.

If you think they're covered as vigorously by mainstream media, I'm not sure either.

Just to be sure, I'm on Earth. You? :D

Oh Jesus Christ, stop with the politics. What the living hell does Joe Biden and Sarah Palin have to do with Chris Kluwe and the Minnesota Vikings? Some of you guys can't be left alone for 5 minutes when anything even remotely scraping the farthest reaches of politics is brought up. Before you know it a 3 or 4 page thread goes to 20, full of bloated, idiotic bickering about red vs. blue. Stahp.

/meta mod

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived