Rice Owls New Alternate Baseball Jersey

Cokeologist

Apologies if this was posted already; I did a search but didn't locate another post

Rice University announced last month that they are adding a new alternate baseball jersey based on the St. Louis Cardinals' "birds on the bat" jersey logo. Announcement is available here:

http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/121113aab.html

Full pic:

131211_New_Baseball_Jersey_a-0011.jpg

I know that Tulane has a baseball jersey that is a take-off of the Cardinals' logo using pelicans; and Vanderbilt has in the past used a Cardinals-style jersey with stars replacing the birds on the bat.

I wonder if there are other examples of teams using variations of this design?

I've always wondered why the MLB allows college baseball teams to blatantly rip off their uniforms. The Cardinals design is a common one, but not the only one:

(PICTURES)

Do the MLB or the franchises license the designs out, or just not care?

Those aren't the exact same scripts, but only designed like the ones MLB teams use. If those college teams used the exact same thing as the MLB team, then I think that they'd have a problem.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Those look beautiful, They should have done the logo in chain stitching like the Cardinals do.

Yes please. There needs to be more chain stitching in sports.

Anyway, the jersey is gorgeous but I'm not sold on that collar.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It's quite common for College schools to borrow the the aestetics of major sports. College football used do it far more often. Hayden Fry made the Iowa Hawkeyes into a the mini-steelers, as they were the dominant franchise of the 70s. Bill Snyder has had K-State look like a purple version of the Cowboys since their 90's hey day.

It's more of a sign of respect than a 'rip-off.' An Homage, of sorts.

I think that Rice jersey looks pretty terrible. The bat is way too thin (looks like a whiffle ball bat), and the owls are way too detailed. Looks terrible. The fact that it's a two-button pullover makes it worse. The number font is pretty terrible too.

Seriously, this is a solid D-.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think that Rice jersey looks pretty terrible. The bat is way too thin (looks like a whiffle ball bat), and the owls are way too detailed. Looks terrible. The fact that it's a two-button pullover makes it worse. The number font is pretty terrible too.

I agree with everything you've said.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I agree with everything you've said.
Yeah it looks like a horrible cut and paste job. Found a couple half-assed owl illustrations, a generic bat and the full team wordmark and slapped them together in paint without even so much as making the colors match up. Basically what you see flooding the concepts forum nowadays.

Tiny eagles on an oversized bat looks as silly as this massive 200 lb cardinal does:

Cardinals.jpg

It's a logo illustration not a professional nature photo in National Geographic. A beer barrel isn't half-human but that hasn't stopped your love for that Brewers logo. This is the pickiest and most asinine argument against a logo that people seem to make.

I give Rice credit for trying something new combined with the older Cardinal aesthetic. That being said I think there's just too much going on. The Owls are too detailed in my opinion. I'd be more on board if it was simply "RICE" or "OWLS."

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

Tiny eagles on an oversized bat looks as silly as this massive 200 lb cardinal does:

Cardinals.jpg

It's a logo illustration not a professional nature photo in National Geographic. A beer barrel isn't half-human but that hasn't stopped your love for that Brewers logo. This is the pickiest and most asinine argument against a logo that people seem to make.

I agree with everything you said.

Apologies if this was posted already; I did a search but didn't locate another post

Rice University announced last month that they are adding a new alternate baseball jersey based on the St. Louis Cardinals' "birds on the bat" jersey logo. Announcement is available here:

http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/121113aab.html

Full pic:

131211_New_Baseball_Jersey_a-0011.jpg

I know that Tulane has a baseball jersey that is a take-off of the Cardinals' logo using pelicans; and Vanderbilt has in the past used a Cardinals-style jersey with stars replacing the birds on the bat.

I wonder if there are other examples of teams using variations of this design?

This does not work. The owls are too busy and don't look like they belong there. Their talons aren't even grabbing onto the bat. The Old English font doesn't work with this as it is busy and just clunky looking at that size. Old English works the less you use it and the larger you use is. Using Rice or Owls, would be fine, but "Rice Owls" just is too much. This is an example of a great idea in someone's head, but when executed in real life, it's just bad.

Cardinals.jpg

It's a bad illustration.

The Cards have had so many wonderful logos in their history, but that ain't one of them. Especially when it's just a scaled-up version of one that makes sense.

That just does not bother me. I kinda view it as a bird sitting on a perch that for the purpose of logo design, was designed to look like a "bat": kinda like the below was deigned to have elements of the crown look like "sticks" (which are way too small for the crown)

Therefore the scale does not matter to me any more than the fact that the baseball bats in the below logo are way to small for the pirate's head.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived