6 Original Teams NFL

thisguyphelps

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok.... and where are we going with this thread?

since there isn't much to derail here, I do want to ask and I don't know if this has been done to death or not but is there any legit logos of the Portsmouth Spartans? I've done Yahoo and Google searches and come up with very little about the franchise never mind logos or uniforms. Kinda curious about the Staleys, and Yellowjackets as well.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

If that's where you were going with this thread, it's in the wrong section.

since there isn't much to derail here, I do want to ask and I don't know if this has been done to death or not but is there any legit logos of the Portsmouth Spartans? I've done Yahoo and Google searches and come up with very little about the franchise never mind logos or uniforms. Kinda curious about the Staleys, and Yellowjackets as well.

Not to my knowledge. I don't think there are any legit NFL logos as we would understand them until the late 30s, if that. And even then it's probably just wordmarks off letterhead and the like.

Poor Lions use to be in Portsmouth. If you have never been to Portsmouth, Ohio you aren't missing much. The town is riddled with abandoned early 1900's factories, and the whole place is practically a ghetto. But, the stadium still stands to this day lol.

Sounds like Detroit

My family is from up there and yes many of the cities around there have gone down with the companies moving out kinda like a precursor to what Detroit has become just on a larger scale or from what I can tell by the news. But there still stands spartan stadium. Also down the road some is tank stadium where the ironton tanks played, awesome logo by the way. I think ironton and Ashland have made it through somehow but most of that area is not a reflection of what I visualize when I hear the old stories. Either way I'm glad I was uprooted before the age of one to the great state of Texas and the city of Houston where there seems to be no end in sight for growth

At http://logoserver.com/NFL.html, there are a couple of Spartans logos. I'm not positive that they're legitimate, though.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

I do not believe Frankford and Philadelphia are the same franchise.

I believe you are correct. Otherwise the "est 1933" wouldn't be accurate. What I don't get is why the team wore the Frankford uniforms the first season or so before going green. I guess because they essentially bought all the yellow jackets stuff.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Chicago Bears (Decatur Staleys) 1920

Arizona Cardinals (Chicago Cardinals) 1920

Green Bay Packers 1921

Philadelphia Eagles (Frankfurt Yellow Jackets) 1924

New York Giants 1925

Detroit Lions (Portsmouth Spartans) 1930

The only problems with this are (1) that the Frankfort Yellow Jackets have no ties to the Philadelphia Eagles, and (2) there's a school of thought out there that argues that the modern-day Indianapolis Colts are, via a labrynthine history dating back to the days of one of my favorite old-time NFL clubs, the Dayton Triangles.

nav-logo.png

Archived