NHL WC/SS Series: 1987 Stadium Series MTL-DET added

JCRGraphix

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I love seeing these, something just feels...off. And I don't think its your concept per se or its execution, both of which are very good. When it comes to throwbacks, these games could still be done, even though the North Stars/Millers concept would be a stretch. Philly and Buffalo could do that exact game next year, ditto Boston and Carolina (Hartford). And I simply cannot imagine the Red Wings/Avalanche rivalry involving a Nordiques sweater...it just doesn't feel right, they wouldn't want to think to another team, because they wanted THEIR team.

I think the issue I see is that teams weren't doing throwbacks then, it wasn't a trend, and certainly not what it is now. People were still thinking about the future, and thinking futuristic, and forward thinking, and pushing the limits. That's why we had radical changes to well-set identities in Vancouver, Toronto, and even Minnesota, and that trend would last through Buffalo, Washington, New Jersey, and Edmonton.

Realistically speaking, if the Winter Classic happened in the 80s, it would look a lot more like the Stadium Series...but through an 80s lens. "What did the 1980s think the year 2014 would look like?" kind of thing. I'd look into more of those kinds of looks for the rest of these.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

As much as I get the above point... isn't the 80s when baseball started having Turn Back The Clock nights? I don't think it's THAT much of a stretch to think hockey, a sport that's just as obsessed with its history, would have one-off throwbacks in the 80s if an event like this existed back then.

Or maybe I'm just saying that because this is already one of my favorite all-time threads. :D

As much as I love seeing these, something just feels...off. And I don't think its your concept per se or its execution, both of which are very good. When it comes to throwbacks, these games could still be done, even though the North Stars/Millers concept would be a stretch. Philly and Buffalo could do that exact game next year, ditto Boston and Carolina (Hartford). And I simply cannot imagine the Red Wings/Avalanche rivalry involving a Nordiques sweater...it just doesn't feel right, they wouldn't want to think to another team, because they wanted THEIR team.

I think the issue I see is that teams weren't doing throwbacks then, it wasn't a trend, and certainly not what it is now. People were still thinking about the future, and thinking futuristic, and forward thinking, and pushing the limits. That's why we had radical changes to well-set identities in Vancouver, Toronto, and even Minnesota, and that trend would last through Buffalo, Washington, New Jersey, and Edmonton.

Realistically speaking, if the Winter Classic happened in the 80s, it would look a lot more like the Stadium Series...but through an 80s lens. "What did the 1980s think the year 2014 would look like?" kind of thing. I'd look into more of those kinds of looks for the rest of these.

Those are all really great points, however the first part of this project is the "classic" throwback feel. Part 2, however is the Stadium series. That way I can use more teams including perhaps a CSKA vs. Somebody in the NHL type of thing.

Shouldn't that one be a Heritage Classic instead? For that matter, shouldn't the Canadiens/Nordiques one be a Heritage Classic a well?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Shouldn't that one be a Heritage Classic instead? For that matter, shouldn't the Canadiens/Nordiques one be a Heritage Classic a well?

I guess that's a good point since it's pretty much always winter in Canada. Lol. Since this started in 1984, there may not have been a Heritage Classic. I'm not sure if I'll do designs for one. I'm finishing the Winter Classics then doing Stadium Series.

Concepts are solid. But, I hate to be that one guy who mentions it. I'm just not feeling the 87 and 88 Winter Classic logos. They seem too '70s to me. Maybe it is just me. Not to take anything away from the uniforms themselves because they're solid. I'm just not believing these are real based upon the actual event logos.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Up next is the 1985 game between Buffalo and Philadelphia. The WC logo is based on the look of an 1985 NHL media guide my Dad used when he worked for the Kalamazoo Wings front office.

winterclassic85.png

First off--some cool ideas--I like the Cowboys inspired Flames ones in particular

However the Buffalo one above does not look like something a team would have come up with in 1985, but looks like a more modern idea.

the stripes and all that--sure--but putting the name & logo on like that doesn't look like 1985 or earlier

That's the main thing I'd change--but most of it is cool, well done.

It looks at other unis & some history and updates some of it as well.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Up next is the 1985 game between Buffalo and Philadelphia. The WC logo is based on the look of an 1985 NHL media guide my Dad used when he worked for the Kalamazoo Wings front office.

winterclassic85.png

First off--some cool ideas--I like the Cowboys inspired Flames ones in particular

However the Buffalo one above does not look like something a team would have come up with in 1985, but looks like a more modern idea.

the stripes and all that--sure--but putting the name & logo on like that doesn't look like 1985 or earlier

That's the main thing I'd change--but most of it is cool, well done.

It looks at other unis & some history and updates some of it as well.

I'm sort of confused by this because it is taking the logo idea from the 1930 Buffalo Bisons..which did have that type of logo....hmmmmmm

I guess that's a good point since it's pretty much always winter in Canada. Lol. Since this started in 1984, there may not have been a Heritage Classic. I'm not sure if I'll do designs for one. I'm finishing the Winter Classics then doing Stadium Series.

Just change the word in the logos. I'm sure HC88 would look just as good as WC88.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

These look really nice! If the Penguins are in a WC before 1994, I'd say play at the old Civic Arena with the dome retracted. That would be awesome. :grin:

I think Three Rivers would be an awesome choice too. I would've loved to have watched a hockey game there.

voRwpN1.png

CuJo's rookie year. I would have used Belfour, but he didn't get into any games in the regular season...

winterclassic90.png

So honestly, the most fun part about this so far has been researching and recreating the goalies' equipment from that particular year.

Archived