NHL WC/SS Series: 1987 Stadium Series MTL-DET added

JCRGraphix

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next game features my 2 favorite goalies of all time. In fact, it was a Red Wings/North Stars exhibition game in Kalamazoo in 1991 that was my first NHL game ever.

winterclassic91.png

Great work on the uniforms and logos, but a winter classic in an indoor stadium? You'd think Minnesotans would've erected a temporary outdoor stadium somewhere before they held the game at the dome.

The next game features my 2 favorite goalies of all time. In fact, it was a Red Wings/North Stars exhibition game in Kalamazoo in 1991 that was my first NHL game ever.

winterclassic91.png

Great work on the uniforms and logos, but a winter classic in an indoor stadium? I would think Minnesotans would've erected a temporary outdoor stadium somewhere before they held the game at the dome.

where would they make the temporary stadium though?

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

There's a bunch of smaller lakes around the Twin Cities that could've served as a playing surface... possibly small enough to erect stands on all sides. What would Minnesotans in 1990 love more than watching their North Stars play pond hockey?

Next up is the 1992 game. For this one, the Penguins jerseys are loosely based on their early (60s and 70s) jerseys, and the Devils are loosely based on the Rockies with their prototype logo. This is also the first time a goalie makes a repeat performance (Barrasso '85 Sabres).

winterclassic92.png

Uh, I just noticed that you've got the colors backwards. The home teams should be in white.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Uh, I just noticed that you've got the colors backwards. The home teams should be in white.

Yeah, I've kind of flip flopped on these. I figured since it's a special game those rules wouldn't apply, so we could have color vs color, home in color, etc.

I want that Sabers sweater. That's sweet!

To be completely honest, I would LOVE to have the ability and resources to create a lot of these in real life. Of course, the way I like to crank out designs, I'd need more closet room.

These are amazing. I'm most impressed with your rendering of Moog's mask, though. Well done, sir.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Up next is the 1995 game featuring my favorite goalie of all time yet again, Tim Cheveldae. The Jets jerseys are actually a combination of their home and away jerseys from 1972-73. The venue is fairly small, but they built extra stands just for this event.

winterclassic95.png

No C/C? No problem. Here's 1994...

Hmm... I could've sworn I posted a glowing compliment about how your logo screams 1993, and how I loved that the game took place at Harvard Stadium (possibly after a couple of Beanpot Challenge games?).

Love the 1994 logo even better though, and that's probably the best looking game uniform-wise so far.

I would've preferred to see 1995's game at the Blue Bombers' stadium though.

Just an FYI for all your future faux-WC designs:

1. I've noticed a trend through the archives of all sports logos throughout the mothership: logos in a roughly five-six year period (1996-2002) became extreme-ified, to make it more radical and dynamic than its predecessors. This, especially prevalent with the Super Bowl and World Series logos of the late 1990s/early 2000s. Keep this in mind with your designs from here-on-out.

2. The NHL began to incorporate its shield logo on a full-time basis for all events (SC Final, ASG, Draft) beginning around 1995-1996. It'd be more fitting with the time period if you incorporate the logo with the faux-WC logos from 1996-on.

Just an FYI for all your future faux-WC designs:

1. I've noticed a trend through the archives of all sports logos throughout the mothership: logos in a roughly five-six year period (1996-2002) became extreme-ified, to make it more radical and dynamic than its predecessors. This, especially prevalent with the Super Bowl and World Series logos of the late 1990s/early 2000s. Keep this in mind with your designs from here-on-out.

2. The NHL began to incorporate its shield logo on a full-time basis for all events (SC Final, ASG, Draft) beginning around 1995-1996. It'd be more fitting with the time period if you incorporate the logo with the faux-WC logos from 1996-on.

Great info thanks!

I decided to take a quick break from the Winter Classic concepts to bring you up to date with the Stadium Series. Remember that the point of these is to imagine what they thought the future of hockey would look like at that time. This has been super fun!

stadiumseries84.png

Both SS games are awesome. I think those are a better take at 'future' designs that would've been thought of back then, and the lame excuse they made up this year. The Capitals one is the best I think. Not the best jersey at all, but that's what obviously makes it so great for a Stadium Series.

Archived