Nike unveils Super Bowl gear

BrandMooreArt

Why don't the Nike Haters throw a fit when Adidas unveils new soccer uniforms every year. There are "three stripes" running down the sleeves and shorts of every uniform. That is the definition of designing a uniform to showcase the maker's logo. Everyone accepts that though.

This is the truth right here.

The three stripes invade nearly everything Adidas touches and it's pretty stupid. You're going to complain about the Nike logo on the Seahawks jersey? Newsflash, the manufacturer logo is going to go there for every jersey in the league and if design is going to get in the way, then it's going to get in the way. The Cowboys throwback had the Nike logo in the same spot surrounded by white while the rest of the jersey was blue, nobody is complaining because it's a design and just that.

Sometimes I think people on these boards get so concerned about corporations and leagues trying to make money and lose the plot of what the real purpose might possibly be. I know marketing and branding is different these days but you can't just throw everything into the "money grab" bin every time. It doesn't work that way and makes you come off like a conspiracy theorist. I'm not trying to call anybody out and hate on everybody here but you gotta realize it's getting goofy as hell with these accusations.

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why don't the Nike Haters throw a fit when Adidas unveils new soccer uniforms every year. There are "three stripes" running down the sleeves and shorts of every uniform. That is the definition of designing a uniform to showcase the maker's logo. Everyone accepts that though.

The three stripes invade nearly everything Adidas touches and it's pretty stupid. You're going to complain about the Nike logo on the Seahawks jersey? Newsflash, the manufacturer logo is going to go there for every jersey in the league and if design is going to get in the way, then it's going to get in the way. The Cowboys throwback had the Nike logo in the same spot surrounded by white while the rest of the jersey was blue, nobody is complaining because it's a design and just that.

Sometimes I think people on these boards get so concerned about corporations and leagues trying to make money and lose the plot of what the real purpose might possibly be. I know marketing and branding is different these days but you can't just throw everything into the "money grab" bin every time. It doesn't work that way and makes you come off like a conspiracy theorist. I'm not trying to call anybody out and hate on everybody here but you gotta realize it's getting goofy as hell with these accusations.

Perfectly said. The sleeve logo is essentially the same design that is on the pant stripes, collar, inside the numbers, and within the helmet center stripe. As for the placement of the swoosh logo, that's where is has to go.

Seahawktribalsleeve_zps5e513208.jpg

peoplebelieveanything_zps8fe418a1.jpg

Why don't the Nike Haters throw a fit when Adidas unveils new soccer uniforms every year.

They do. The problems I have with Adidas' soccer jerseys are the same problems I have with Nike's football uniforms. Nice try though.

i understand what you're saying, and it looks like the manufacturers are throwing their weight around, forcing their clients to take whatever they come up with. but its a partnership. you can't say "poor Seahawks, Nike forced them to wear those horrible Nike advertisements". Seattle agreed to it. they work with Nike on that stuff. and then its approved by the NFL. Nike isn't out to "Nike-fy" every client. i do think it mostly rest on Nike's/the designers shoulders, but you cant ignore the ones who are approving it. in the end, they get what they want

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Perfectly said. The sleeve logo is essentially the same design that is on the pant stripes, collar, inside the numbers, and within the helmet center stripe. As for the placement of the swoosh logo, that's where is has to go.

Sorry, I still don't see it. I understand what you are going for, but we're getting into "What do you see in that cloud?" territory. The problem is that it's far too simple of a shape to represent those iconic Northwest tribal patterns, all of which are based on pattern, repitition, and usually fall on the complex side of things. Using 2 intersecting lines does not represent a plaid pattern.

The old Vancouver Grizzlies used a northwest tribal pattern on their uniforms and I could immediately discern the heritage of it. I can look at the Seahawks, Seattle Thunderbirds, and Vancouver Canucks logos and see it. I look at that shape and I can't see anything other than MAYBE an intent by Nike to make it resemble NWT art, but intent doesn't count for much in the end.

Also, the shape itself has nothing to do with the purpose of the shape. If Nike was to add a star on the Cowboys jersey there or stick a fleur-de-lis on a Saints jersey, but with a Nike swoosh in the middle of both, it would be considered "Nike-glorification." Regardless of what the shape is supposed to be, the reality is that what it does to the average viewer first and foremost is to highlight the Nike logo.

I'll agree that it is poorly designed, but it's not "nike glorification", it's just where the manufacturers logo is suppose to go. If they wanted to glorify nike, they would put the nike logo in the middle of every sleeve stripe in the league, just look at the steelers, they purposefully try to avoid putting the swoosh on the stripe by putting it awkwardly above it

I'll agree that it is poorly designed, but it's not "nike glorification", it's just where the manufacturers logo is suppose to go. If they wanted to glorify nike, they would put the nike logo in the middle of every sleeve stripe in the league, just look at the steelers, they purposefully try to avoid putting the swoosh on the stripe by putting it awkwardly above it

Yeah, but I think you're missing the point. Nike knew that was where the logo was going to go before they designed the jersey. It isn't like that came up with the sleeve design first and then later learned that's where the NFL decided to put the manufacturers logo... like some happy coincidence. I get that the shape around it is supposed to tie in with the shapes on the pants stripe and other places... and I think it does, more or less. But to think Nike didn't also realize that it would be an excellent showcase for their logo is pretty naive.

You can see it in the Vikings new jersey too, although to a lesser extent. The way the stripe curves forms an excellent "pocket" for the swoosh.

029_zpsc764e905.jpg

Now I'd say, honestly, I don't think that was Nike's prime motivation for designing these jerseys the way they did, but to think it wasn't noticed by them as the put it together is silly. Whatever else you think about Nike, everyone has to agree they are absolute geniuses at protecting and pushing their brand. Do you honestly believe they put zero thought into how their logo is going to be seen and noticed? Ridiculous.

Sorry, I still don't see it. I understand what you are going for, but we're getting into "What do you see in that cloud?" territory. The problem is that it's far too simple of a shape to represent those iconic Northwest tribal patterns, all of which are based on pattern, repitition, and usually fall on the complex side of things. Using 2 intersecting lines does not represent a plaid pattern.

The old Vancouver Grizzlies used a northwest tribal pattern on their uniforms and I could immediately discern the heritage of it. I can look at the Seahawks, Seattle Thunderbirds, and Vancouver Canucks logos and see it. I look at that shape and I can't see anything other than MAYBE an intent by Nike to make it resemble NWT art, but intent doesn't count for much in the end.

Also, the shape itself has nothing to do with the purpose of the shape. If Nike was to add a star on the Cowboys jersey there or stick a fleur-de-lis on a Saints jersey, but with a Nike swoosh in the middle of both, it would be considered "Nike-glorification." Regardless of what the shape is supposed to be, the reality is that what it does to the average viewer first and foremost is to highlight the Nike logo.

disagree. i think it's very clear where that shape comes from. it's not so abstract and random that its unrecognizable. that tapered shape is found all over that Indian art culture.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Not bad. No gripes from me. But I'm probably the biggest Nike fan around, so...

I'd love to own this coat:

ee361612-d5c9-4aff-afbe-c03da8a94328_Sp1

Same here. I think thise vertical zippers are really catching on now. You'll see everyone doing them on a piece over the next year or 2

I think they've caught on long ago. I bought an adidas coat a zipper in the same place 2 years ago.

Same here. I think thise vertical zippers are really catching on now. You'll see everyone doing them on a piece over the next year or 2

I think they've caught on long ago. I bought an adidas coat a zipper in the same place 2 years ago.

I'd say the vertical front zipper pocket has been around for close to 20 years in the outdoor/winter gear realm. Nike is just taking a design element that is commonplace from the patagonia/north face etc. of the industry. The other element that they are incorporating as well is the sealed/taped/glued seam around said pocket. That concept has been around for at least 10 years.

Outside of team sports nike is rarely 1st to market when it comes to tehnological advancement and product development, they are much more like apple where they are able to bring concepts & products to the mainstream through refinement and superior marketing.

Yeah I have no problem with the way Nike accounts for their manufacturers' logo on the uniforms. It looks much better than when it's clearly shoehorned into the design. It's more harmonious. On some of the NFL jerseys, the swoosh is almost touching the TV numbers.

I have to agree that adidas is just as bad if not worse in terms of forcing teams into their corporate identity.

What I really don't understand is why so many people get so upset when a corporation allows another corporation to alter the first corporation's visual identity. These are both for profit entities and they are free to manage their businesses how they see fit. In the vast majority of these instances the clients (seahawks) believe that their vendor (nike) provides them with a product/service that will help increase their bottom line.

I don't know if it's ignorance or what but pro sports (and ncaa to a lesser extent) has always had corporate tie-ins especially on the visual identity side. It seems that most of the anti-corporate ire is a tad overblown (e.g. Lukas rants). The only thing that you could possibly argue is that many venues are heavily taxpayer subsidized but history has shown us that pro sports franchises have zero civic responsibility/

disagree. i think it's very clear where that shape comes from. it's not so abstract and random that its unrecognizable. that tapered shape is found all over that Indian art culture.

You know what... that's totally fine, Brando. If you can recognize that shape as specifically NW Indian, you're way better than me. :)

Did you have any thoughts about my comments about the purpose of the shape?

I'd say the vertical front zipper pocket has been around for close to 20 years in the outdoor/winter gear realm. Nike is just taking a design element that is commonplace from the patagonia/north face etc. of the industry. The other element that they are incorporating as well is the sealed/taped/glued seam around said pocket. That concept has been around for at least 10 years.

Outside of team sports nike is rarely 1st to market when it comes to tehnological advancement and product development, they are much more like apple where they are able to bring concepts & products to the mainstream through refinement and superior marketing.

Nike has used the vertical pocket on Destroyers since they've reintroduced them (2008ish)...with this year's Tech Pack they went for a huge (10-inch) vertical pocket on a few hoodies and pants. I don't know if there weren't many produced or if the hype beasts are just jumping on, but the Tech Pants are extremely hard to find.

And as for that destroyer, take the front logo and blow it up 3x. That's the back logo for it...extremely gaudy. The destroyers in general are very understated (my two simply have a NSW logo at the cuff), but this and the two that have released already all have bigass logos front and back.

You know what... that's totally fine, Brando. If you can recognize that shape as specifically NW Indian, you're way better than me. :)

Did you have any thoughts about my comments about the purpose of the shape?

i see the shape mostly as the typical sleeve art design we see from them. the Vikings and Jags both have the same sort of "something on the sleeve" design. i think using that tapered thing in that area of the jersey is . . . okay. im not sure if the shapes we're seeing on sleeve designs are to draw attention to the swoosh though. i think what they're doing is far better than putting a stripe that cuts through the logo, or like Reebok did try squeezing the team logo on the sleeve with their own logo, or as for some other teams, placing a TV number there. what they've done lately is just a lesser of the evil options to choose from

and i just think its all properly designed given what they have to work with. the NFL wants the logo on the sleeve. if Nike had their way, it would probably be on the chest, like in NCAA. (if i had my way it would be on the back of the collar.) i agree that it definitely draws attention to the swoosh, especially with the Seahawks and using that piece in neon green. but i don't think that is the primary intent.

if it were the Cowboys for example and they used a star on the sleeve, i think it would be better to have the swoosh placed in the middle of the star, rather than an edge or a point of the star just touching the swoosh, just to say "we dont want anyone thinking Nike is owning the Cowboys"

EDIT - actually that last paragraph isnt what i really believe. i shouldnt put aesthetics above the emotional and negative connotations that a design produces. it should be pleasing to look at (no tangents) but not look like Nike is "owning" another brand. and that said, what they've done with the teams so far is fine, and not parallel to placing a swoosh in the middle of a team logo

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Nike makes a point of having their logo stand out. Maybe that's why the Dolphins swoosh is orange, when no other element has any of that much orange. Same for the Vikings and Seahawks pockets and Steelers throwbacks.

But you know what? If I was in charge of a capitalist corporation, I would do the exact same thing.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

If it weren't for this site I wouldn't have ever recognized the Nike logo. It's not noticeable to the average viewer.

Also the Pelican's side paneling is supposed to resemble a street lamp, so it's not crazy to make the connection the other poster made with Native American stuff.

If it weren't for this site I wouldn't have ever recognized the Nike logo. It's not noticeable to the average viewer.
You wouldn't know what the Nike logo looks like without this site? Really?

Archived