Cubs Mascot

Broken Record

Check out the flex on that bat. Is it made out of bamboo or something?

Bamboo wouldn't flex.

No?

flexable_bamboo_pole.jpg

Nice! Well that's also like 30 feet long. Not sure if you're being serious or funny, but there's plenty of bats made out of bamboo - or like mine, which has a bamboo handle (since the bamboo is harder to break) and maple barrel. Also, bamboo floors are pretty hard!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I don't get the uproar at all. Its a mascot, they are for kids. Its a fine cartoon bear. He's no worse than any number of current MLB mascots:

Mascots-MLB.jpg

Or some of the minor league ones:

mascot_mania.jpg

Pretty much par for the course. I do find it humorous that everything that was the Cubs game experience (no ads, no replays, largest outdoor bar) is going by the wayside with the Rickets. Perhaps that other Cubs tradition will be gone as well...

Exactly, what is wrong with having something that kids like and indentify with the team and having him visit sick kids is always a good thing.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The only reason it's getting bagged on is because the eyes were poorly illustrated so instead of looking bright and happy he looks frightened and scarred. Also because the Chicago Cubs are low hanging fruit.

PvO6ZWJ.png

In reality, the Cubs are probably overdue on this. After all, it's just another thing the neighborhood did on its own while the team slept. But I really dislike what the Ricketts are doing. It's focused on everything but the winning. And despite wh at they claim, all the sideshow stuff doesn't add up to a winner.

They are taking a page right out of the book of John McDonough and what he did with the Blackhawks.(after he left the Cubs) Get the right fans on board, kids(and parent) and older people with money. Move more games to nighttime. Create interest with those buyers and slowly move away from the drunken, afternoon Bleacher crowd. Those people don't pay the bills.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

First thing I thought of when I saw this mascot was Poochie. Good to know I wasn't alone.

I think that's the essence of the mockery is how badly contrived mascots have become (a la Poochie). This hapless cubs mascot just feels so synthetic like he was cobbled together from a few focus groups, cartoons, and other mascots and this is the end result.

In reality, the Cubs are probably overdue on this. After all, it's just another thing the neighborhood did on its own while the team slept. But I really dislike what the Ricketts are doing. It's focused on everything but the winning. And despite wh at they claim, all the sideshow stuff doesn't add up to a winner.

They are taking a page right out of the book of John McDonough and what he did with the Blackhawks.(after he left the Cubs) Get the right fans on board, kids(and parent) and older people with money. Move more games to nighttime. Create interest with those buyers and slowly move away from the drunken, afternoon Bleacher crowd. Those people don't pay the bills.

Granted I don't live in Chicago but and drunken behavior aside but don't the cubs already have one of the best % filled attendance rates in the league. At least a few years ago they were a tough and expensive ticket to get. Also in terms of $ spent by fans, a highly popular team with a downtown stadium and a young college educated fan base like the giants and cubs would generate more revenue than more family centric fan bases.

I'm not supporting drunken hooliganism at sporting events. It just seems that 5 college grads between 25-35 are going to spend more per seat than a young family of 5.

The only reason it's getting bagged on is because the eyes were poorly illustrated so instead of looking bright and happy he looks frightened and scarred. Also because the Chicago Cubs are low hanging fruit.

Looking at the eyes they could have been done better you are right, but it doesn't deserve the uproar its getting.

Oh my god people, what is the matter with you? Did your parents ban you from watching cartoons as kids?

The cartoon characters I watched didn't look like they suffer from PTSD. Sure Droopy sounded like he did, but that was it. I maintain they need to change the facial expression of the real life one so it doesn't look like a leer.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Bamboo wouldn't flex.
No?

flexable_bamboo_pole.jpg

Nice! Well that's also like 30 feet long. Not sure if you're being serious or funny, but there's plenty of bats made out of bamboo - or like mine, which has a bamboo handle (since the bamboo is harder to break) and maple barrel. Also, bamboo floors are pretty hard!

Well, it was just a facetious remark at the weird rendering if the bat. I just figured bamboo stalks were flexible.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Bamboo wouldn't flex.
No?

flexable_bamboo_pole.jpg

Well, it was just a facetious remark at the weird rendering if the bat. I just figured bamboo stalks were flexible.

Someone should save this and use it in a lesson plan on how ridiculous, conversation derailing arguments happen on the internet: "That's bent like bamboo" "bamboo doesn't bend!" "I'll PROVE to you bamboo bends" "Well maybe THAT bamboo bends but MY bamboo doesn't bend!"

Anyway that mascot is genric and boring -- they should have used something more unique like Ivy, a stick of gum, or idk .. something else ..... a cub for the Cubs is too obvious

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Bamboo wouldn't flex.
No?

flexable_bamboo_pole.jpg

Someone should save this and use it in a lesson plan on how ridiculous, conversation derailing arguments happen on the internet: "That's bent like bamboo" "bamboo doesn't bend!" "I'll PROVE to you bamboo bends" "Well maybe THAT bamboo bends but MY bamboo doesn't bend!"

Anyway that mascot is genric and boring -- they should have used something more unique like Ivy, a stick of gum, or idk .. something else ..... a cub for the Cubs is too obvious

Gummy the Bear or Ivy the Ivy.

I actually love the backwards hat. I'm only a lil dissatisfied cause the bear is childish instead of a mature/tough as nails etc.. but as a former Chicago land raised kid. 1 mascot is better than no mascot. Its good they have a mascot. But what about my White Sox mascot! Thats a pimp! (He even delivers flowers for ya on Valentines Day) I couldn't have this cute SOB doing that. A losing team could use a tougher mascot. End filibuster.

shado_logo.gif

Archived