Yahoo -- The 10 best corporate logo changes of 2013

The Golden One

Lil recap of the main logo changes we saw this past year....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-10-best-corporate-logo-changes-of-2013-174703539.html

Here is number 1 on the list....

79718e51-a9bd-4c1c-95c0-c8ae15fec835_1-m

with the caption...." Google bought Motorola for $13 billion last year, but this year's logo change is proof of their ownership. The new design manages to be refreshingly new, while immediately triggering within the consumer established connections to both the cell phone manufacturer and its parent company."

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

Honestly surprised that Yahoo! didn't put their own logo on their list.

It's a Business Insider article that Yahoo! is featuring. I was surprised Facebook made it over Yahoo!, especially since the author admitted FB's "change" barely qualifies as such.

I think Spotify and the WNBA looked the best in their new iterations.

PJU85JF.png

I think Nivea was a slight downgrade IMO. My favorite updates were either Arby's or TGI Friday's, especially Arby's. Massive improvement and should've been#1, if not that, then Top 3.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Two "wow"s here:

-that Motorola was #1. I think the new logo is entirely too cluttery.

-the WNBA changed their logo. I am a sports enthusiast that has been a member of a message board dedicated to sports logos for over 10 years. You'd think I'd have noticed when, you know, a major sports league (cue someone saying "WNBA ISNT MAJOR LOLOL") changes their logo.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Two "wow"s here:

-the WNBA changed their logo. I am a sports enthusiast that has been a member of a message board dedicated to sports logos for over 10 years. You'd think I'd have noticed when, you know, a major sports league (cue someone saying "WNBA ISNT MAJOR LOLOL") changes their logo.

RE: Motorola: It's basically the same logo they just goog'd the ring around it and made it their slave. This list is stupid anyway.

RE: WNBA: I don't think the WNBA promoted the change at all, much less anyone else. The WNBA is and has always been one of the weirdest sports experiments out there.

I don't say that in jest or as a sexist, it's just never been a success, was never going to be one, and has sort of become the testing ground for the NBA in terms of brand trials. Ads on jerseys, moving franchises without hesitation, etc. The freakin' Sparks are about to move, of all teams.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Two "wow"s here:

RE: Motorola: It's basically the same logo they just goog'd the ring around it and made it their slave. This list is stupid anyway.

RE: WNBA: I don't think the WNBA promoted the change at all, much less anyone else. The WNBA is and has always been one of the weirdest sports experiments out there.

I don't say that in jest or as a sexist, it's just never been a success, was never going to be one, and has sort of become the testing ground for the NBA in terms of brand trials. Ads on jerseys, moving franchises without hesitation, etc. The freakin' Sparks are about to move, of all teams.

Well, yeah, but the multicolored ring around it makes it suck. I thought all of the logos mentioned were good changes except Motorola's.

I don't think it's sexist at all to say the WNBA has been/turned into an experiment. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Do I wish it failure? Absolutely not. I'm just not interested.

The Sparks are about to move? Wow. Again... I had no idea.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I just went back and tried to figure out what made Motorola's change good (didn't work). But I did notice something interesting; the old logo had one color... red. The new logo has 12 colors (not counting the grey in the middle) and not a single one of them is red. Way to respect your history!

• 3 weeks later...

I think Nivea was a slight downgrade IMO. My favorite updates were either Arby's or TGI Friday's, especially Arby's. Massive improvement and should've been#1, if not that, then Top 3.

I agree, TGI Friday's and Arby's were definitely the most improved on the list. Arby's 2012 logo was horrendous. That mix between 3D rendering and flat sans-serif type is hard to look at and just doesn't make sense for a brand like Arby's. Plus, what is up with that apostrophe? The new slab-serif type is a nice return to the style the brand had previously since the 60's.

Two "wow"s here:

Well, yeah, but the multicolored ring around it makes it suck. I thought all of the logos mentioned were good changes except Motorola's.

I don't think it's sexist at all to say the WNBA has been/turned into an experiment. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Do I wish it failure? Absolutely not. I'm just not interested.

The Sparks are about to move? Wow. Again... I had no idea.

Not anymore. Magic Johnson bought the team yesterday.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Quiz question. Try to answer without making any search on the web. Anybody knows why the company's name is Motorola?

In 1930 Galvin Manufacturing Corporation introduced the Motorola radio, one of the first commercially successful car radios. Company's founder Paul V. Galvin and investor Bill Lear created the brand name Motorola. Galvin and Lear mulled over names for the product on a cross-country trip and came up with "Motorola" which was a blend of "motor" and the then popular suffix -ola used with audio equipment of the time (for example "Victrola"). The product was such a success that Galvin changed the name of the company to Motorola.[12][13]

Do I win?

spacer.png

The previous WNBA logo always looked like a womans head put on the NBA logo to me. Or a pose-able wooden figure statue we would draw in art school, with a wig.

The one trend I like is making the logos simple, moving away from the 3D effect. When Pepsi changed their logo (now some 5 years ago) it was a breath of fresh air.

I agree, TGI Friday's and Arby's were definitely the most improved on the list. Arby's 2012 logo was horrendous. That mix between 3D rendering and flat sans-serif type is hard to look at and just doesn't make sense for a brand like Arby's. Plus, what is up with that apostrophe? The new slab-serif type is a nice return to the style the brand had previously since the 60's.

I believe the apostrophe is/was supposed to represent the blade of a rotating meat-slicer (which makes sense for Arby's), but I agree that it just doesn't work within the logo at all.

And hasn't Google already unloaded Motorola?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived