Clink Room Concept--Charlotte Cheetahs--C & C please!

Whittier S

So I've found some inspiration after quite some time and put together a rough draft of a concept for The Clink room.

I feel like the logo is close, but I can't put my finger on quite how to improve it. I know I need to do the merge from the spots to the checkered flag better, but I'm not sure how.

Anyway, I present to you the Charlotte Cheetahs.

All C&C much appreciated, thanks.

CharlotteCheetahsRoughDraft1_zps18453d17

rATMcmK.png

This would be great for any team with a big cat name ( eh Jacksonville? ) It's a good pose, the sprint, and if you just make it less boxy and get rid of the squares flying out the back and this is a fantastic logo. Great design.

The squares flying out of the back are exactly the point. The logo is supposed to merge a cheetah's head with a checkered flag.

Charlotte = car racing

car racing = speed

speed = cheetah

The idea is to get the cheetah's spots to morph into checkers, but I'm struggling to sell that idea.

I do see that I need to get a bit more curve going, esp with the lower jaw. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

rATMcmK.png

Update:

Reduced the number of spots

Placed the spots/squares more deliberately

Rounded out some of the boxyness in the face

Centred button/bill

Corrected palette of hat to match Clink Room's fabric palette

CharlotteCheetahsRoughDraft2_zps20b0356e

rATMcmK.png

The idea of having cheetah spots morph into a checkered racing pattern is clever. It seems like the kind of thing the guys at the clink room would like if you pull it off. The updates are a step in the right direction but the head still needs lots of work. The forehead is going straight upward rather than tapering back. Also consider putting in thicker shadows on the face and around the eye. I know cheetahs have small heads compared to other cats but the head could take up a larger portion of the entire logo.

This is a little off topic, but what is the appeal of the clink room? Am I the only one who doesn't get it? If you win, they take the rights to your work, make money off of the merchandise sales, while you only receive a very small chunk of it. Is the appeal the exposure and/or the idea of having your work appear on real merchandise?

Update:

* Changed crown to the "black" of the Clink Room "black" swatch (which shows up brown on my screen)

* Thinned the neck
* Altered facial profile

* Slightly adjusted spots

CharlotteCheetahsRoughDraft4_zps7680b2f7

rATMcmK.png

I feel like, if I remove many more spots, it's not a cheetah anymore. I'm using reference photos to get the spotting down. What spots can I keep and still make it suitable for embroidery?

rATMcmK.png

A number of changes:

* Added branding materials
* Changed embroidery thread from "Cloth Gold" to "Metallic Gold" to better represent 1990's trends

* Enlarged ear to be more anatomically accurate

* Changed marking near eye to be more accurate

* Slightly altered jawline

CharlotteCheetahsRoughDraft7_zps0f37d26c

I think it's close. I'm not sure if I should now change the secondary fabric colour, because the next-best options veer *really* yellow. What do you think?

rATMcmK.png

So I'm stuck on something. I broke the first rule of concepts--google the name you want to use! I tried googling "charlotte cheetahs" a bit ago, and I came up with a very short-lived amateur baseball team that may or may not have actually existed, and a youth double-dutch team that very much exists.

Do I go ahead and submit as is, or do I drop the "Charlotte" off the name and cook up a different backstory?

rATMcmK.png

Archived