Cincinnati Royals

Sport

Excellent concept! I think if this were a modern NBA team they likely would have done away with the basketball head logo at some point and gone for something bland and generic. That being said, the mustachioed basketball head man pulls off the fauxback angle really well. The text also looks amazing, and should get more emphasis in the overall concept. I think it could possibly hold its own as a midcourt logo.

Makes me long for what could have been...Go Royals!

Only if that peach colour becomes a trim colour somewhere. I still like the retro look preferrably. Also, I really love the "Cincinnati" script on the Away's. is that your own design or is it borrowed from something?

Thank you. It's a script font that I modified to my liking.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Excellent concept! I think if this were a modern NBA team they likely would have done away with the basketball head logo at some point and gone for something bland and generic. That being said, the mustachioed basketball head man pulls off the fauxback angle really well. The text also looks amazing, and should get more emphasis in the overall concept. I think it could possibly hold its own as a midcourt logo.

Makes me long for what could have been...Go Royals!

It is likely that they would've followed a similar path as what the Kings took. Right before they left Cincinnati they were using this logo

5380.gif

about as generic and bland as it gets.

PvO6ZWJ.png

^ to be honest, something derived from that would probably stand much better and stronger as a primary logo. True, that particular one may be bland, boring, uninspiring, whatever you wanna call it--BUT, that is where you as the designer get to figure out what touches to add/subtract to "jazz it up" and breathe some new life into it without losing its overall essence. The other thing is it would still hold its shape when scaled down and would look just as if not more legible in simple black and white applications such as letterheads or Window veneers or something.

That said...I still like what you're doing with the updated crown head logo. I think certain things like thicker line weights, more use of shape if possible might help enhance this even more. (I wish I had more to say on this but I'm in the middle of a cement mill and the gravel fumes are messing with my olfactory processes which in turn is messing up my train of thought.)

On the uniforms...as Jim said the navy and burgundy are too close in tint. See what a deeper 281 navy blue and something like a 202 or 201 maroon/garnet/burgundy/claret/whatever will do for you. I don't mind the "Royals" script down the leg of the shorts as it ties into the Royals' past...what I do mind is the chest scripts. Plainly visible from distance, but then the number font gets lost (and again because of the colors). The other thing is the angle of the tilt...it's like it's not angled up enough; either set it straight across or rake it at more an MLB- jersey-like angle.

(Also, bonus points for adding in the reference to the Seven Hills...excellent use of local inspiration. That, if you can work it out, would show up a heckuva lot better on a primary based on that one posted above, wherein the only other thing to focus in on would be those points in the crown, or "seven hills".)

Keep at it, Sean...and by the way the next brew is on me.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived