infrared41's Who am I? Super Bowl Trivia for the old school crowd.

infrared41

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Donnie Shell. Got it from the Harry Carson clue.

We have a winner. Donnie Shell is correct.

I. 51 INTs as a strong safety makes him the career leader at the position.

II. Donnie Shell and Harry Carson were teammates in college. Carson is in the HOF and got a Super Bowl ring with the '86 Giants.

III. Along with being in the College Football HOF, Shell was also named to the All-Time Steelers team and the NFL's Silver Anniversary Super Bowl Team.

IV. Shell played in four Super Bowls with the Steelers and he was the Director of Player Development for the Panthers from 1994 until 2009.

V. Since his retirement in 1987, only one Steelers player was assigned Shell's #31 - Mike Logan who was from McKeesport, PA which is just outside of Pittsburgh.

VI. Four Super Bowl rings with the Steelers.

pittsburgh-steelers-1974-super-bowl-ringpittsburgh-steelers-1975-super-bowl-ringpittsburgh-steelers-1978-super-bowl-ringpittsburgh-steelers-1979-super-bowl-ring

donnie_shell_1985_01_06.jpg

SCOREBOARD:

kbaker19 - 1

OnWis97 - 1

sc49erfan15 - 1

cmm - 1

BB52Big.jpg

Round V - this one should be pretty easy.

I. On the team with which I played the bulk of my career, I am tied for that team's career record in a statistical category. The player I'm tied with also played in two Super Bowls.

II. There was a six year stretch in my career where I ended up playing in four of the six Super Bowls - with two different teams.

III. During that six year stretch, I also accomplished a Super Bowl first.

IV. I played for two HOF coaches and I played with quite a few Hall of Fame players.

V. I have three Super Bowl rings but of the three, I refuse to wear one of them.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

I believe you are Herb Adderley. (If true, I'm raking up these easy ones.)

You chose well. sc49erfan15 takes the lead! Herb Adderley makes his second Who Am I appearance. (I think he may have been the very first Who Am I way back when I started this thing.)

I. Adderley's 7 INTs returned for TDs with the Packers is tied with Darren Sharper for the all-time team record. Sharper played in two Super Bowls - the '97 Packers and the '09 Saints.

II. Herb Adderley is the only player to play in four of the first six Super Bowls - twice with the Packers, twice with the Cowboys.

III. Adderley's Super Bowl first was an interception return for a TD against the Raiders in Super Bowl II.

IV. He played for Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry as well as being teammates with more than a couple hall of famers.

V. Adderley has two Super Bowl rings with the Packers and one with the Cowboys. He doesn't wear the Cowboys ring stating: "I'm the only man with a Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl ring who doesn't wear it. I'm a Green Bay Packer."

green-bay-packers-1966-super-bowl-ring.jgreen-bay-packers-1968-super-bowl-ring.jdallas-cowboys-1971-super-bowl-ring.jpg

herb_adderley_1965_11_28.jpgsb2_adderley.jpg

SCOREBOARD:

sc49erfan15 - 2

kbaker19 - 1

OnWis97 - 1

cmm - 1

BB52Big.jpg

I liked the more football-shaped Packers logo they used back then.

Carry on.

Everything about those two pictures is all kinds of awesome. Daytime Super Bowl... love it.

And 'red, I looked back... Herb Adderley was indeed the first ever "Who am I?" I remember it, and I think I was stumped on it... maybe it subconsciously came back to me. ^_^

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Round VI - very easy

I. I played for at least twice as many teams in college as I played for in the NFL.

II. Some players follow coaches to different teams. In my case, it was the other way around.

III. Combined, the NFL head coaches I played for and I have over fifteen Super Bowl appearances and over ten Super Bowl rings.

IV. I could have missed all of that had I chosen baseball over football.

V. I'm pretty sure I'm remembering all that correctly.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

I want to say Troy Aikman, since he played for two schools (Oklahoma and UCLA) and one pro team (Dallas Cowboys).

I'll say him.

Troy Aikman is correct.

I. Aikman played at Oklahoma and UCLA in college. Dallas in the NFL.

II. Aikman left Switzer when he left Oklahoma. As we all know, Switzer replaced Jimmy Johnson at Dallas.

III. Technically, Aikman never actually "played" for Landry, but Landry was the head coach at Dallas when Aikman was drafted. I suppose I could have phrased the clue a little more clearly, but I also didn't want to make it too obvious. This round was already pretty easy. By "played for" I simply meant head coaches during Aikman's tenure with the Cowboys. So no, Kramerica, it wasn't a "mistaken inclusion." It was more like a trick question. And yes, I did include SB appearances by Gailey and Campo. They weren't the HC, but they did coach on SB teams. By my count (which wasn't Kramerica extensive) the totals looked like this 18 Super Bowl appearances - 11 Super Bowl rings. It may be more, it may be less, but the clue worked.

OK, turns out Landry was fired before the team drafted Aikman. I thought he was still HC when the Cowboys drafted Aikman. If you're looking for Kramerica type accuracy, you're playing the wrong game fellas. B) A lot of this stuff is coming from the memory of an old guy - and it seems to be failing me more than usual of late. That'll teach me for trying to make one of these things easy. B) I should have stuck with my original idea for that clue. It was going to be "You're exactly right..."

IV. Aikman was drafted by the Mets out of high school.

V. Kramerica is correct, clue V was a nod to the number of concussions Aikman suffered.

dallas-cowboys-1992-super-bowl-ring.jpgdallas-cowboys-1993-super-bowl-ring.jpgdallas-cowboys-1995-super-bowl-ring.jpg

130124135243-27-super-bowl-troy-aikman-s

SCOREBOARD:

sc49erfan15 - 2

kbaker19 - 1

OnWis97 - 1

cmm - 1

Dalcowboyfan92 - 1

Kramerica - much to my surprise - still getting shut out. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Archived